The cold war warms up PART II – The Supermarine ‘Lakker’ - Hi Ho Silver

Started by Knightflyer, September 11, 2020, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

The cold war warms up. – The Supermarine 'Lakker'
Indications that the Soviets might be considering an invasion of Western Europe in the years immediately after the end of the Second World War increased substantially and led to heightened nervousness amongst the political and military leaders of the countries that would form NATO in 1949.

Early responses, such as the formation of the RAF German Auxiliary squadrons will be covered elsewhere but overall the policy of the UK Government was to speed up the conversion of the RAF's squadrons from piston-engine fighters to jet powered fighters as quickly as possible and also to increase the actual number of squadrons available for the defence of the UK and Western Europe. This, along with the presumably Communist agent organised sabotage of the De Havilland Vampire and Gloster Meteor production lines led to the implementation of Operation 'Free Range' with the ordering of land based variants of the Hawker Sea Hawk  and Supermarine Attacker, under the premise that any jet was better than no jet at all.

The scheme also led to the creation of additional Royal Auxiliary Air Force squadrons. These used numbers in the 630 range, taking over and rebadging the numbers of defunct squadrons created for a brief time during the Second World War.
The Supermarine F.Mk.3 (Land) Attacker was delivered to four squadrons of the Royal (Additional) Auxiliary Air Force, with the first to be formed being No.630 (County of Stafford) Squadron, flying from RAF Lichfield. The (Land) Attacker was humorously and widely referred to as the 'Lakker' (a tortured contraction of Land Attacker), as it was regarded as 'lacking' in any of the niceties that made for a decent fighter aircraft. It was actually, or at least compared with the naval Attackers a spritelier performer, as all the unrequired naval equipment was removed, leading to an overall lighter aircraft.

The model of course is a venerable Novo re-pop of the ancient FROG Supermarine Attacker, it was moulded in a rather brittle Bakelite green plastic. The model of course has lots wrong with it, but frankly I didn't care as a quick fix relief from the modelling doldrums was what was required at the time, so apart from the removal of the arrestor hook, it is built OOB. It is what it is, but I must admit to being quite pleased with the outcome, as I think the camouflage has given the aircraft a more purposeful look. Anyway Gents, I am pleased to offer up the ...

Supermarine (Land) Attacker F.Mk.3 WZ270 / RBA-A of No.230 (County of Stafford) Squadron 1950

]

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

I like it.  :thumbsup:

And an very plausible backstory too. I'll keep the RAAAF in mind for future builds..........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

Thanks for the comments so far Gents, there will be a silver aircraft with colourful markings to follow at some point

The Staffordshire Flag does at least give a good starting point for tail markings and the bars either side of the roundels (is there a proper name for them?). Shame the flag wasn't invented as such until until 2016!  ;)

The Rat

:thumbsup: Nice idea! That old model was past its 'best before' date a few years after it came out, but it seems to have sold well, if it's longevity in production is anything to go by. Or maybe not, considering how many are still out there!  ;D  I've got at least one more in the stash, begging me to come up with ideas.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on September 12, 2020, 06:37:08 AM

The Staffordshire Flag does at least give a good starting point for tail markings and the bars either side of the roundels (is there a proper name for them?). Shame the flag wasn't invented as such until until 2016!  ;)

With the Staffordshire Knot being the traditional symbol of the county, going back to at least the 1500's, it's a totally plausible symbol to use on a yellow and red background  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Knightflyer

So, as recounted earlier, Operation 'Free Range' led to the creation of additional Royal Auxiliary Air Force squadrons, using numbers in the 630 range, taking over and rebadging the numbers of defunct squadrons created for a brief time during the Second World War and becoming known as the Royal (Additional) Auxiliary Air Force. The first to be formed was No.630 (County of Stafford) Squadron, flying  The Supermarine F.Mk.3 (Land) Attacker*  from RAF Lichfield.

As the 1950's progressed, the R(A)AAF squadrons adopted the High Speed Silver finish along with the rest of the RAF, and colourful squadron markings were added to their aircraft. The markings for No.630 squadron were taken from the colours of the Staffordshire Flag (which was pretty amazing really as it wouldn't be created for another 60+ years!  ;D) However the grand roll out of the squadron's first repainted aircraft became something of an embarrassment as it was quickly pointed out that the red diagonal stripes were painted upside down. The aircraft G for George was quickly pushed back into it's hanger, but not before photographs were taken that would cause confusion for local modellers down the ages.

* The (Land) Attacker was humorously and widely referred to as the 'Lakker' (a tortured contraction of Land Attacker), as it was regarded as 'lacking' in any of the niceties that made for a decent fighter aircraft. It was actually, or at least compared with the naval Attackers a spritelier performer, as all the unrequired naval equipment was removed, leading to an overall lighter aircraft.

The model of course is another venerable Novo re-pop of the ancient FROG model, moulded  this time in a far more 'normal' grey plastic. I did more work on this second Lakker, opening up the cockpit and the undercarriage bays and rebuilding the main undercarriage, but it still is what it is, but it was done as a bit of fun and light relief. I'd bought coloured decal strips for the sidebars, but they proved to be quite transparent (perhaps I should have backed with white first?) Anyway Gents, once again I am pleased to offer up the ...

Supermarine (Land) Attacker F.Mk.3 WZ273 / 'G for George' of No.630 (County of Stafford) Squadron 1954

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2