Paternoster Lift back in use!

Started by Nick, September 14, 2020, 09:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

A Paternoster lift (or elevator) is an open fronted people mover similar to a conveyor belt. It moves continuously. There were hundreds built since 1868 but very few are still in use, most in Germany. Only a handful still work in the UK.

Northwick Park Hospital in London turned theirs off in 2013 but have put it back on again to help staff move around without contact with patients.
https://www.lnwh.nhs.uk/news/paternoster-lifts-hospitals-spirits-2154/

tigercat

I used to use one at Sheffield  University  when I was there.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on September 14, 2020, 10:57:40 AM

I used to use one at Sheffield  University  when I was there.

Oh yeah, we used to use that to get to their Materials Lab on the third floor or so. A cracking piece of kit.  :thumbsup:

I always wondered what would happen if you stayed aboard it when the thing went over the top and down the other side. Did the compartments ALWAYS stay right way up, or did the floor become the roof and vice versa?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

scooter

OSHA (the US Occupational Safety and Health Agency) would have a field day.  As would the ambulance chasers.

My building in Trenton is 2 passengers per lift car.  Between that and temperature check in, it ought to make getting to your cube on time interesting; if and/or when we're required to return.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: scooter on September 14, 2020, 02:58:16 PM
OSHA (the US Occupational Safety and Health Agency) would have a field day.  As would the ambulance chasers.

That was my first thought.  I think you could make a modern paternoster that stopped with doors and would be pretty efficient in a heavily used lift.

I had a short time between jobs when I  worked for three weeks as a theatre lift porter in the local hospital. It would have made my job redundant which would have been fine by me. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

I rode on endless belt manlifts at more than one mill where I worked.
The longest was the equivalent of 11 stories.

PR19_Kit

Those WOULD have been dangerous to 'ride over the top' though.  :-\

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I think wheelchair users could cope with a paternoster lift but an elderly person with a walking frame might get into trouble.

I'd be tempted to set up a cafe table and two chairs and spend all day sitting with a mate and a bottle going round and round and round and round...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

There used to be such a lift in the Carpark of the John Martins' Department Store in Adelaide, here in South Australia.  It was only used for packages.  I remember seeing it still running, over a decade after it was stopped being used.  I suspect it was because no one knew how to turn it off! 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

perttime

There was one at Leicester University when I visited many moons ago. Looks like it was closed some time ago. There's one in Eduskunta, the Finnish Parliament.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 14, 2020, 10:00:18 PM
I rode on endless belt manlifts at more than one mill where I worked.

I rode on one at the WVS (German Steel Association) office in Dusseldorf back in the day. One person per step. Only one I've ever been on.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on September 15, 2020, 06:12:41 AM

There used to be such a lift in the Carpark of the John Martins' Department Store in Adelaide, here in South Australia.  It was only used for packages.  I remember seeing it still running, over a decade after it was stopped being used.  I suspect it was because no one knew how to turn it off!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

There was a very small one like that (the compartments were maybe a 2 ft cube) in the old Co-Op in Queen St on Oxford in the 60s.

They also had one of those overhead cable arrangements to fire money in bomb things back to a central cash desk for customer's change. Perhaps they didn't trust their shop assistants all that much?  :-\

The whole place looked as if it was still in the 30s!

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2020, 09:23:51 AM

They also had one of those overhead cable arrangements to fire money in bomb things back to a central cash desk for customer's change. Perhaps they didn't trust their shop assistants all that much?  :-\

Oh those things were great. Loads of shops still had them in Croydon in the late 50'. early 60's. I think one or two, maybe Hewitt's (who had and still have all the school uniform concessions in the area) and Grants had them until the early 70's ? Can you imagine Health and Safety's reaction if you wanted to install one now ?  ;D

I've an idea Gamages in Holborn had one of those freight Paternostas ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.