When Vulcans nuked the USA - twice...

Started by Weaver, September 19, 2020, 11:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on September 20, 2020, 04:05:13 PM

We'd all better hope it's a dummy, because they've also got the arming keys and instructions on how to use them there. You know those tubular keys that were all the rage on cycle/motorbike locks until someone proved you could pick them with a BiC pen barrel? Yep, same keys...

Never heard of that, but there again the guys who developed the thing would have used Parkers and Sheaffers, nothing so "urban" as a BIC  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: Weaver on September 20, 2020, 03:24:10 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 19, 2020, 09:01:42 PM
I wonder how many times the USAF and USN 'nuked' the UK?
;) ;D

Probably lots of times, but it wouldn't have meant as much because after some point in the late '50s/early '60s, nobody was seriously trying to defend the whole of UK airspace against all attacks. All the RAF was supposed to do was defend the V-bomber bases long enough for them to get off the ground and on their way to Russia. With the UK being so small and so densely packed, less than a dozen decent-sized nukes dropped literally anywhere is game over for most of the population within the next year. A defence would have to be near 100% perfect to be worth having at all, and no defence in history has ever come close to that standard. Certainly nothing the UK could afford in 1960.

True, but I was thinking of late '40s - mid '50s scenarios.

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 21, 2020, 07:05:02 PM
Quote from: Weaver on September 20, 2020, 03:24:10 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 19, 2020, 09:01:42 PM
I wonder how many times the USAF and USN 'nuked' the UK?
;) ;D

Probably lots of times, but it wouldn't have meant as much because after some point in the late '50s/early '60s, nobody was seriously trying to defend the whole of UK airspace against all attacks. All the RAF was supposed to do was defend the V-bomber bases long enough for them to get off the ground and on their way to Russia. With the UK being so small and so densely packed, less than a dozen decent-sized nukes dropped literally anywhere is game over for most of the population within the next year. A defence would have to be near 100% perfect to be worth having at all, and no defence in history has ever come close to that standard. Certainly nothing the UK could afford in 1960.

True, but I was thinking of late '40s - mid '50s scenarios.

I have half a memory of there being an air defence exercise in the 1950s (early?) in which the RAF did badly against bomber attacks, which were part RAF, part USAAF.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones