MiG 25 HAPPY. NASA Dryden Flight Research Centre September 2008.

Started by zenrat, September 20, 2020, 03:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

MiG 25 HAPPY (High Altitude Photography Platform/laboratorY).  NASA Dryden Flight Research Centre September 2008.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 16 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

In 2006 India retired their MiG 25s due to a lack of spare parts.  NASA, whose connections with MiG were better than those of the Indian armed forces, saw an opportunity to acquire an aircraft that could fly higher and faster than anything currently in their inventory (barring experimental aircraft) and arranged to obtain five airframes.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Two airframes were converted for atmospheric sampling, two aircraft for photographic use and one for non-specific purposes possibly related to electronic emissions that we don't talk about

MiG 25 HAPPY - 14 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The main feature of the photographic HAPPYs is the replacement of the Saphir-25 radar and all the other equipment forward of the pilot with a sophisticated rotating lens camera setup.  The camera bodies are mounted rigidly to the airframe with the lenses, fitted into a high precision rotating nose section, focussing images into them via a system of prisms and mirrors.  Camera operation is controlled from a second aircraft (usually a highly modified Lockheed Viking or Gulfstream G IV) callsign GRUMPY, which accompanies the HAPPY and to which the images are streamed.
A number of different nose sections are available containing different lens configurations with the one being fitted depending on the mission requirements.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 6 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

During conversion to HAPPYs MiG 25s had their outer wing hardpoints removed.  The inner pair were retained as some mission profiles require additional stores.  These missions are rare however, and generally the only things hung on them are F-15 Eagle belly tanks on adaptor flanges.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 15 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

NASA are very happy with their MiGs.  But then wouldn't you be if you could fly at mach 2.8 and reach 80,000 ft?  Politicians with connections to the US aviation industry lobby will keep trying to scrap them for being "un-american" and NASA will keep refusing while pointing out there is nothing to replace them that is as easy to operate and doesn't need treating with kid gloves, pampering, and running on special and expensive fuels.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 19 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Model

MiG 25 HAPPY - 21 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Hasegawa MiG 25 (first release – 1978).
Nose cone replaced with part of what may be a 1/24 WW2 Luftwaffe drop tank.
Original flat exhaust outlets cut away and a pair of texter caps used to deepen them.
Two Hasegawa McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle belly tanks
Home made transfers.

MiG 25 HAPPY - 22 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And finally a couple of size comparisons.

1)  With an F-15.
MiG 25 HAPPY - 23 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And 2) what you were all wondering.  Yes, a MiG 25 is large enough to park a Spitfire on.
MiG 25 HAPPY - 25 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

SUPER job Fred.  :thumbsup:

The NASA scheme really suits the Foxbat, and that rotating camera nose is very clever.

I can't help wondering what you're going to build for SNEEZY, SLEEPY, BASHFUL, DOPEY and DOC.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

As I was scrolling down, I was thinking I'm going to at least have to leave a thumbs up smiley here, until I got to the little maintenance guy in the jetpipe. Now that's just classic!

zenrat

Thanks folks.  Hope it was worth the teasing and the wait.

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on September 20, 2020, 04:06:19 AM
As I was scrolling down, I was thinking I'm going to at least have to leave a thumbs up smiley here, until I got to the little maintenance guy in the jetpipe. Now that's just classic!

I've long had this picture stored on my laptop as inspiration for a dio using the Condor MiG-25.  Note that not only are there blokes sitting at the end of the jet pipes but there is also someone further inside...

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on September 20, 2020, 04:21:29 AM

.....but there is also someone further inside...

Yeah, he always said he felt the cold..........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Thanks BB.

The Hasegawa kit is, BTW, very simplified with raised detail.  You will sand off most of this detail while performing all the PSR needed to deal with the fit of the top and bottom panels of the rear fuselage.  I paid $5 for this one though which more than makes up for that.  Plus it's an impressively big model when finished.  I am still surprised Hasegawa put it in the same size box they used for a Crusader - Trumpeter use a huge box for their modern MiG-31.  But it does have a LOT more parts.

Here's my modifications to the jetpipes.  The original parts finished flush with the "Grouch glasses" back panel.  The texter lids have been in my "useful plastic things" box for ages.
MiG-25 WIP 15-08-2020 03 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

PR19_Kit

I've got one of those early Hase Foxbats in The Loft, complete with a Pavla resin conversion kit for the PR version. I'll keep your ideas for the exhausts in mind when I start it, probably around 2138...........

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That is absolutely fantastic mate  :bow:, although I can't help thinking the guy in the jet pipes would look better with a bottle of beer in hand than a spanner  ;) :cheers:

As an aside, looking at the photo of the guys in the jet pipes, there's enough room in there for a BBQ !
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

The new nose is brilliant and I've gotta admire the Foxbat/Spitfire Mistel combo!  :wub:
Whatever.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]