RW Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 - DONE! - Pic's pg.1

Started by Old Wombat, September 23, 2020, 08:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Hi! :D

This is a place holder for the Eduard 1/48 "Weekend Edition" Polikarpov I-16 Type 24 that is nearing completion.

Building it OoB, with only a "kitbashed" set of seatbelts added.

Paintwork may vary, as I'll be trying to custom mix Soviet style colours from what I have in the rack.

It's the first of my 1/48 Favourite Single-Engined Fighters series of builds.

Finished photo's only, I'm afraid. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 23, 2020, 08:38:31 PM

It's the first of my 1/48 Favourite Single-Engined Fighters series of builds.

Must admit I've been thinking about something similar, starting with the new tool Eduard Spitfire Mk I. I've always liked the early ones with twin bladed props and flat canopies. Great minds eh ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

My Spitfire is going to be an Airfix Mk.XII (a Griffon & clipped wings :wub:).

There'll also be a Special Hobby CAC CA-13 Boomerang, an ICM P-51C Mustang (with Malcolm hood), an Italeri P-40E/K, a Hurricane of some sort (either one of my Italeri Sea Hurricanes or I'll have to buy one & markings for either one flown by Ginger Lacey or a Czech squadron (310/311?)) & an Airfix Sea Fury.

Others which may be included are a P-47 Thunderbolt, a Vought F4U Corsair and/or an Avia B-135 (this last is a definite, if anyone re-pops them or brings out a new tool).

NARSES2

I already have an Airfix Sea Fury and Walrus in the stash. Now I know why I bought the Sea Fury as it's one of my favourite aircraft, but the Walrus ?  :unsure: It can only be because it looked so good in the box and it has BPF markings.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I, also, have (in 1/48) a Walrus & a Sea Fury, both slated to be RAMverse RAN aircraft, so I'll need another Sea Fury for a real RAN version. ;)

Old Wombat

OK, build delayed while I wait for a few resin parts to replace some external bits that don't quite cut it; primarily the wheels & tail wheel unit, & the wing guns. :rolleyes:

Still, shouldn't be too much longer! :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2020, 09:41:53 AM

Do you know how many times I've said that only ................................................  ;)

Looking forward to it sir

Old Wombat

Thanks, Chris! :thumbsup:

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2020, 06:50:34 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 27, 2020, 09:41:53 AM

Do you know how many times I've said that only ................................................  ;)

Probably only a few more times than I have. ;D

NARSES2

Old Wombat

Major paintwork is going on now.

Have just finished the underside blue (a custom mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White & Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue in a 5:1 ratio).

Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but it looks close enough for me.

I'll probably leave it for a day or five or six (back to work tomorrow for four days before I start 2 weeks leave, by helping my No. 1 daughter pack to move to Port Lincoln, on Monday :rolleyes:) to cure properly before the next (read "only other") colour.

Then I'll try my custom mix of Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green & Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan (again in a 5:1 ratio) for the Soviet Olive Green ... actually, I might try it in a few minutes, on the engine cowling, which is separate to the rest & is all-over OG.

Old Wombat

Did the cowling & the spinner. My conclusion is the same as for the blue ...

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 29, 2020, 09:20:03 PM
Is it "perfect"? Probably not, but it looks close enough for me.

Old Wombat

ЗА СТАЛИНА! СМЕРТЬ фАШИСТАМ!*

Pic's tomorrow! :thumbsup:

(*: ZA STALINA! SMERT' FASHISTAM! = FOR STALIN! DEATH TO FASCISTS!)

Old Wombat

Well, this build took longer than expected. (Oh, what a surprise! :rolleyes:)

It's the Eduard 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 24, one of the two kits I purchased about two weeks short of 2 years ago in Prague.

I've built it almost straight OoB; only additions are Eduard seat-belts (RAF early (steel)) scratch-bashed into something resembling Soviet seat-belts of the era, QuickBoost gun barrels & pitot tube & Aries wheels & tail-wheel assembly.
Paints are as described earlier; green = Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green & Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan (5:1 ratio), & blue = Tamiya XF-2 Flat White & Tamiya XF-8 Flat Blue (5:1 ratio).

Overall, not a bad little kit. There are a few minor issues but nothing a half-decent modeller can't overcome (my biggest gripe is that the prop shaft is too narrow & too short to get a decently solid fix).

So, without further ado, here are the pictures:

ЗА СТАЛИНА! (ZA STALINA! ... FOR STALIN!)

СМЕРТЬ фАШИСТАМ! (SMERT' FASHISTAM! ... DEATH TO FASCISTS!)

Now, just how small was this thing? :unsure:

Here's a comparison with a Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat in the same scale:

Thanks for watching & commenting despite the lack of WiP images! :thumbsup:

Guy

kerick

Excellent job on such a strange little aircraft. Looks a lot like the Gee Bee racer. I think the colors looks fine.
Of course you had to build this one in 1/48th as 1/72nd would be impossible to see. Unless there is a 1/32nd kit out there.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise