KLu Mirage III

Started by TomZ, September 28, 2020, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

KLu Mirage III

In 1960 the Dutch Air force was looking for a supersonic fighter aircraft to bring the KLu into the supersonic age. Soon it became apparent that the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter was the favourite in this selection process.

However just before the final deal was made, a big bribery scandal broke. This implicated various people in the Dutch government and military including the husband of the Dutch queen. The result of this was that Lockheed was banned from the competition.

This new selection process resulted in a choice for the Dassault Mirage III. The first of 140 aircraft were delivered to the KLu in 1961. The Mirage III served with the KLu until it was replaced by the F-16 from 1979 onwards.

Kit: 1/48 Esci.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Hobbes

Old Wombat

Nice! :thumbsup:

I was always struck by how small the RAAF Mirage III's were when they occasionally landed as HMAS Albatross (NAS Nowra) back in the day. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

royabulgaf

Tom, I don't even need to see your name.  That runway and bucolic background always clue me in.                              Kim M
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitbasher

Very smart.

And I assume Belgium then followed suit in rejecting the F-104, subsequently augmenting the IIIs with the Vs that were based at Florrennes and Bierset?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Spey_Phantom

the Dutch decals seems to fit the Mirage III very well  :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

I can't see any pictures unfortunately
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

It seems to be a IIIC not IIIE, yes?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Quote from: Tophe on September 29, 2020, 09:44:32 AM
It seems to be a IIIC not IIIE, yes?

Correct. It is this kit:

TomZ

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

63cpe

Can't see the picca's!

Do see then on the mobile....weird..

Altough seen on a tiny display, they looked very good. very smart indeed!

Congrats must be one of the few plastic kits you've build last 12 months  :mellow:

Cheers,
David

Glenn Gilbertson

TomZ

I redid the picture links as several people couldn't see them.

TomZ

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.