Steam powered airplane

Started by scooter, October 05, 2020, 12:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

A steam engine plane with a reversible propeller takes off. From a November 27, 1958 newsreel feature "25 years ago today". Location: United States. Date: November 1933.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TomZ

Hmmmmm.

Steam powered Lancaster anyone?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

ericr

Quote from: TomZ on October 05, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
Steam powered Lancaster anyone?

:o :o :o

I am right into something involving exactly these two keywords ...

TomZ

Quote from: ericr on October 05, 2020, 12:21:59 PM
I am right into something involving exactly these two keywords ...

Titanic with wings?

TomZ

PR19_Kit

A Lancaster's wings grafted onto a steam engine's boiler etc?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

I had a BR41 on my stash
(and a Lancaster)

TomZ

Gives a new meaning to the "Flying Scotsman"  ;D ;D

TomZ

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on October 05, 2020, 12:45:35 PM
Gives a new meaning to the "Flying Scotsman"  ;D ;D

TomZ

;D ;D

I once had a short trip on the footplate of the Flying Scotsman. Long before the days of "Health and Safety". Very late 50's I think ? Once of those lifetime memories.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sideshowbob9

Better a Bulleid Battle of Britain, shurely?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on October 06, 2020, 09:02:19 AM

I wish!

While at school, as a member of 'The Ferroequinologists Society', (means 'Trainspotters' in posh... ;)) I won a prize of a footplate ride. It was on a 2-10-0 9F that was on passenger duty from Newbury down to Exeter and back. My Mum almost threw all my clothes away after that, but it was a brilliant ride.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 06, 2020, 10:41:53 AM
Quote from: sideshowbob9 on October 06, 2020, 09:02:19 AM

I wish!

While at school, as a member of 'The Ferroequinologists Society', (means 'Trainspotters' in posh... ;)) I won a prize of a footplate ride. It was on a 2-10-0 9F that was on passenger duty from Newbury down to Exeter and back. My Mum almost threw all my clothes away after that, but it was a brilliant ride.  ;D

Nice! Do you remember the number? I finally got behind 92203 on the NNR last month. She had been studiously avoiding me for the last couple of years!  :unsure:

Also got to go behind the delectable B12. I'd been suffering extreme withdrawal!  :wub:

PR19_Kit

Sadly no, but the Inspector who came with me pointed out that it was a Swindon built 9F as it had the AWS '...installed properly. Not like those jury-rigged Crewe built ones....'  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Tramp

Steam powered aircraft design from 1919.   Pullman, Braemar and Tramp are a trio of triplanes worth looking at!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2020, 05:17:47 AM
Sadly no, but the Inspector who came with me pointed out that it was a Swindon built 9F as it had the AWS '...installed properly. Not like those jury-rigged Crewe built ones....'  ;D

Ouch... not touching that fight!  ;D

Was thinking could the R-R Goshawk, which was steam-cooled, have a small steam turbine placed in the coolant loop ahead of the condenser to recover a bit of power and therefore qualify as steam-powered flight? It wouldn't be much but....