MiG-8 Duck -- "Darkwing Duck"

Started by TheChronicOne, October 06, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Starting a new one. Again. The A-10 Thunderbrrrrrt (;D) met with difficulties day one, then the realization I'd have to go to lengths to properly paint it has it back in the stash for the time being.  It's not cancelled, just postponed.  Strangely enough, I'm having more fun debating the merits of the Thunderbrrrrrt than I was working on it. ;D

But....  damn... holy crap.. I need to build something and finish it (that won't take eons) so here's a MiG-8 Duck by Avis. Not the cleanest of parts.... fair amount of work getting rid of flash and attach points and all that but it's not bad and makes for a pretty simple, and quite small kit so it should be a relatively quick build.

Got the wheels and the cockpit floor with seats glued together. A lot of the other parts have been cut loose from the sprues and cleaned up with sprue cutters, files, and sand paper. Going to paint interior and cram some weight in the nose pretty soon.

Check it out!!!  The fuselage like this looks sleek and futuristic.

It will be an East German border patrol aircraft painted some sort of black or black/dark grey. Might hang some spotlights on it. Of course... this is subject to change. I know I have East German roundels and stuff but I'm wondering after seeing the size of the fuselage if they might be too large.  :o ;D    So who knows, this could wind up being a Vatican City fighter plane or something in the end. 
-Sprues McDuck-

Mossie

Watching this with interest, always liked this quirky little thing.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Good Lord! Those seats look like wooden park benches! :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 07, 2020, 02:05:02 AM

Comfort is bourgeois, comrade.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Looks pretty good considering it comes from the AModel stable.
I'm looking at it thinking "hmmm, wings and stabs on backwards, one of the rudders at the other end, tractor prop, and the pilot in an open cockpit above the wing centre-section.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on October 07, 2020, 02:09:00 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 07, 2020, 02:05:02 AM

Comfort is bourgeois, comrade.

Indeed.  This is the workers' paradise we are discussing... 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: zenrat on October 07, 2020, 03:58:47 AM
Looks pretty good considering it comes from the AModel stable.
I'm looking at it thinking "hmmm, wings and stabs on backwards, one of the rudders at the other end, tractor prop, and the pilot in an open cockpit above the wing centre-section.

Oddly enough, that's sort of what the Russians did with it, to an extent! The box says they used it for years to test all kinds of different wings and canards and stabalizers and stuff...    and hell, being Soviet Badasses that they are, I wouldn't rule out forcing a commrade to ride on the roof to "observe." 
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

could be an interesting build, you're off to a good start.
when i first read the title, i thought if was nicknamed for this  ;D

i was first expecting to see this  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ChernayaAkula

;D  ;D  ;D Same here, Nils!  :thumbsup:

The MiG-8 and the Thunderquack both look odd, but in a strangely similar way.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Nils on October 07, 2020, 12:30:03 PM
could be an interesting build, you're off to a good start.
when i first read the title, i thought if was nicknamed for this  ;D

i was first expecting to see this  ;D

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 07, 2020, 06:35:50 PM
;D  ;D  ;D Same here, Nils!  :thumbsup:

The MiG-8 and the Thunderquack both look odd, but in a strangely similar way.  ;D

lol Y'all right and it kind of was!!! It hit me right as I was about to submit the topic title....    "it's going to be dark, it's a duck.. it's like the cartoon!"  ha!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Ready to button up the interior. I've also painted the engine and the base coat of the props. The engine has to go in before I close up the fuselage but it and all the rest of the interior is ready. I even added nose weight  ;D :

I dunked the clear pieces into floor polish. The wind screen actually looked pretty nice but the side windows had a weird bubbly look to them but it appears the "Future" has helped.

Lastly, the wing is together. It may look familiar; I read that one of the primary functions of this aircraft in its testing phase was to trial what would become the wing of the MiG-15. 

I've still not checked on the roundels but I really need to soon... I still have plenty I can do before paint but I'm getting close. If the East German stuff doesn't work  I will need an alternative but I hope it does!
-Sprues McDuck-