MiG-8 Duck -- "Darkwing Duck"

Started by TheChronicOne, October 06, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

ABJECT FAILURE!   :angry: ;D    The stickers would not STICK enough so I had a lot of paint bleed. I think the method is sound, I just need stickers with adhesive up to the task. At this point I'll let it dry up for a few days then do a wee bit of wet sanding then go in again with better masking. I have a plan B for a splinter camo. Shouldn't take too long to cut up some slivers from traditional masking tape... I just need need to get the base back to a solid color then I'll be moving forward once again.  :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Scotaidh

I use 2" 3M Painter's Tape (Blue) for most things - holding models together as the glue dries, holding up my calendar, and the odd camouflage paint job.  You have to burnish down the edges before painting - I use the rounded end of an old pen.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

It may be worth giving the edge of the stickers a coat of Klear (other floor polishes are available...) before painting. That tends to seal the edges and stops the paint bleeding.

I do that with all my masking efforts these days, after a few MEGA-disasters. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

I do all these things already, it's just the stickers themselves would not stick... if the stickers literally won't stick to the model there would be no way to put clear around the edges of them as the sticker is literally pointing off into the sky.  Generally speaking, none of this is new to me.... see... I've used yards of 3M blue tape and Tamiya tape.. as I've said... it was an experiment, it's not that I've never masked anything before and have idea how to go about it. Sorry if I was unclear about that. The idea was to try to use little kids stickers as they already come pre-cut into patterns.  ;)  These simply didn't work because the adhesive isn't strong enough to keep them on the model. They're basically designed to stick on paper and that's about it.
-Sprues McDuck-

Flyer

Bummer they didn't work. Sounded like a good idea. Maybe the next time your in a cheap store have a look for some that are printed onto holographic (?mylar?) film style if you know what I mean, they tend to be very sticky in my experience and are what I had in mind when I made the 'hopefully they don't lift paint on removal' comment. But they are very thin also so may be more difficult to get an edge lifted to remove after paint, but I could be wrong... Dunno, keep experimenting.  :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

Right on, I'll look for some when I hit the store. I can't wait to see what they have.  :wacko:  I've also heard on more than a few occassions from modelers on social media talking about using regular ol' cellophane clear tape to get really good straight lines. That's another one I'm going to try soon but could be another to be cautious with.
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Be very careful with the cellophane tape, mate, it has this nasty habit of leaving adhesive behind on the surface that can be very difficult to get off.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 03, 2020, 02:58:21 PM
Right on, I'll look for some when I hit the store. I can't wait to see what they have.  :wacko:  I've also heard on more than a few occassions from modelers on social media talking about using regular ol' cellophane clear tape to get really good straight lines. That's another one I'm going to try soon but could be another to be cautious with.

Sorry to tell you what you already knew.  :(  As Old Wombat said, I'd be very careful with cellotape.  I've tried it and nope nope nope. 

I've also tried candle wax, and while it's appropriately random, it does leave a greasy residue that will Not come off, so - if you were thinking that way, for your own sake, don't.  :) 

(I've used wax as filler, too, but you can't paint over it, so ...)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

TheChronicOne

Actually I WAS Thinking of candle wax!! lmao  Thank God you said something. I'll skip that one. Might skip the cello tape stuff, too. Maybe the folks talking about it used it on bare plastic or something? Be easier to clean off that way without worry about paint. I still want to give it a shot in some capacity but I might adjust how I go about it.

And no worries on the rest... sometimes I just assume people know what I'm talking about already and fail to give proper details. I'm also known to be very long winded at times so it's easy for relevant information to be lost, buried in the middle of the rest, and not many people have time to sit down and read for half an hour all the crap I blather about.  ;D  I just need to brush up my writing skills is all.

Today if I find time (not likely, I have multiple jobs scheduled include landscaping stuff even though it's practically winter here...) but if I do anything, it will be to sand the plane and get the base coat solid black so I can turn around and let that dry so I can mask again to paint the dark grey. Coincidentally, on that note, that dark primer is indeed magnitudes darker than the regular stuff I use but once the black was down it was apparent that they are NOT "almost the same color" but I might just roll with it anyway. Might do a wash on it or something to darken it up some but I think It'll be alright and I still have the safety option of just painting it all black.
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Getting there!  Changed my mind on the paint and decided to go with a sun-worn look. Substandard paint to begin with sitting out in the sun.... fading and thin.....  type of look. It doesn't look terrible! I'm not very good at weathering but if I never try it I'll never get better so I just went for it. Turned out alright and definitely looks like a well-used aircraft that was rarely stored indoors and frequented un-prepared runways.

But hey check this out!!  I found a VIDEO of an RC model of this thing flying around and boy... it creates some really cool looking angles. Watching this fly around banking and turning and all that is really neat. This is a pretty sweet somewhat futuristic looking airplane at some angles, go check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7BUb7qeKo

As for mine, I'm into detail painting now and should be glossing it soon so I can get on with the transfers and then maybe I'll be finished with it within a few days.  <_<
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 06, 2020, 06:30:46 PM
But hey check this out!!  I found a VIDEO of an RC model of this thing flying around
Thanks for the link. And I am glad I watched all the 3 minutes of this video because at the end is featured a great push-pull version! (or is it a pusher with nose anti torque propeller just turning in the other direction?).
Have faith to finish your one!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

Have you considered using silly putty? Pretty cheap and easy to shape into your camo pattern.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Flyer

Cool vid  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Tophe on December 06, 2020, 07:45:46 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 06, 2020, 06:30:46 PM
But hey check this out!!  I found a VIDEO of an RC model of this thing flying around
Thanks for the link. And I am glad I watched all the 3 minutes of this video because at the end is featured a great push-pull version! (or is it a pusher with nose anti torque propeller just turning in the other direction?).
Have faith to finish your one!

Front motor looks way too small to provide any sort of motive power to a model of that size, my best guess is it's a windmilling electric motor being used as a generator or something...
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on December 06, 2020, 10:38:43 PM

Front motor looks way too small to provide any sort of motive power to a model of that size, my best guess is it's a windmilling electric motor being used as a generator or something...

At full screen size that extra front motor looks more like a Cox .049 of some sort, the ones with the hemi-spherical tank, not a Tee-Dee.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Quote from: kerick on December 06, 2020, 08:15:40 PM
Have you considered using silly putty? Pretty cheap and easy to shape into your camo pattern.
OHHHH YEAH!!! I forgot all about that! No I hadn't... I've heard of it before but never tried. I will snag some when I go get stickers.

In other news, BACK TO THE PAINT JOB. I took a look at this thing in some bright light and it doesn't pass muster.  Glad I did that before I clear coated it. SO....  I'll be fixing the paint real soon. If I can't achieve the sun worn look I'm going for (easily... that's the key, I don't want to have to go through a ton of steps and time) I'll revert to black and grey or something. lol    This is getting goofy but that can happen with experiments. Poor little duck has been subjected to some strange things.   ;D

EDIT: OK HERE WE GO AGAIN. I know how to do my paint now. I just watched the video again and it struck me that fast. See here? I'm so wishy washy that my mind can change in the span of two minutes!!
-Sprues McDuck-