MiG-8 Duck -- "Darkwing Duck"

Started by TheChronicOne, October 06, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

O
ve heard of folks using glazier's putty, too.  They rolled it out thin, then cut the edges to keep them crisp.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Flyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 07, 2020, 03:55:10 AM
Quote from: Flyer on December 06, 2020, 10:38:43 PM

Front motor looks way too small to provide any sort of motive power to a model of that size, my best guess is it's a windmilling electric motor being used as a generator or something...

At full screen size that extra front motor looks more like a Cox .049 of some sort, the ones with the hemi-spherical tank, not a Tee-Dee.

Cox Black Widow maybe... And if that's what it is I've no guess as to why they would put it there.  :o
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 07, 2020, 01:43:09 PM
O
ve heard of folks using glazier's putty, too.  They rolled it out thin, then cut the edges to keep them crisp.

Fascinating! Coincidental, as well, just last night I was thinking about having some glass cut to repair a window on my shop that has been since boarded up. I'd like to return it to a light providing window and was thinking, "I guess I need some glazing putty."   ;D   
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on December 06, 2020, 07:45:46 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 06, 2020, 06:30:46 PM
VIDEO of an RC model of this thing flying around
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf7BUb7qeKo
at the end is featured a great push-pull version! (or is it a pusher with nose anti torque propeller just turning in the other direction?).
I did not mean that this RC model is more what-if than what will be the result by a what-if modeler here, but it is true that some RC modelers are what-ifers too, like our friend tonton42 that is building a flyable 4-engined Canadair CL-215. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

frank2056

Instead of Silly Putty, you can use therapy putty (search for it on Amazon) which is cheaper per oz. and comes in different hardness.

TheChronicOne

Therapy putty huh?  Awesome! Is it something I can also squeeze to keep from squeezing the life out of annoying people?  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

frank2056

Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 10, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
Therapy putty huh?  Awesome! Is it something I can also squeeze to keep from squeezing the life out of annoying people?  ;D

Oh yeah, it works great for that... find the putty that feels the way you imagine the person's throat feels, and squeeeeeeze away! Better than going to jail for murder; too much paperwork!

scooter

Quote from: frank2056 on December 10, 2020, 04:49:46 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on December 10, 2020, 10:21:06 AM
Better than going to jail for murder; too much paperwork!

That's only if they find the bodies.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Alright.... I'm sort of back on track again. I say 'sort of' because who knows if I'll change my mind again later or not. I've reverted to earlier thoughts of a two-tone camo with black and an "almost black." To that end I've got the base back in black again and will brush paint the second slightly lighter color on later. I have to mix up some paint for this. Probably going to take some black and throw a wee bit of blue into it. At this point I'm getting a bit weary of the experimentation and am ready to get on with the show. I want to get this done and move on to the next!
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Quick update!  And just like that, the painting was done. I finally dialed everything in and ceased the experiments (quite succesful, even though some things didn't work.... getting a result is what it's all about and I have increased my knowledge!) and the original plan has worked well. I went with a teal green color instead of blue to mix with the black and it turned out alright I think. After the camo was down I wrapped up the detail painting and even managed to get it gloss coated earlier before I left for work. Hopefully I can get the transfers on tonight after I finish my yard work (wooo boy.....). 

Also, I'm going to try to remember to take some pictures of it sans national markings so tophe can have a go.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

All done!

First off, some stuff for Tophe wit' no markings. I did the best I could with angles and stuff but I'm a rather lousy photographer most times.

Now, for the official "done" pics, taken outside, after the completion of transfers and adding another clear coat to deaden the shine. Cloudy but better than inside pics and for the couple of minutes I was out there, the sun was peaking through so that helped!!

-Sprues McDuck-

chrisonord

I have been  watching this  on and off for a while Brad, and your  patience and  effort  has paid off.
Very nice indeed  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

That's one funny looking machine, but one excellent model.

Nice one Brad.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Nice going, Brad - came out well.  :thumbsup:

I'll have to remember the green-into-black trick, all I can usually think of is white or grey, which it's easy to add too much of.

For the future, WRT the windows problem, maybe you could cut the whole section out of the side and replace it with a chunk cut from a clear ruler or set square?
I found some really cheap ones and used them to remake the windows on a 1/48 Piper Senecca conversion I did, and they came out pretty well.
I had to heat and curve the bits, then file/sand/polish them back to clarity, but it worked.
And with something straight-sided, it would be even easier.

Then mask and paint as usual.

HTH

TheChronicOne

Definitely will remember that. Waiting so long to dry fit the windows was a huge mistake and just as I was finishing it all up I was thinking, "If I had known this in the beginning I would have filled the windows in and used decals instead."  I like this ruler idea even better. Just so happens I have a project coming up (possibly, it's in the research phase still) but that would go a long ways toward solving some of the problem it has, in particular, being a kit with NO clear parts (and a nice flat side!). In fact, I might take some pics of it in a bit for the blog. It's something I've been ruminating on for years then about a week ago I was looking at it and had an epiphany..... 

Thank you all for stopping in!
-Sprues McDuck-