MiG-8 Duck -- "Darkwing Duck"

Started by TheChronicOne, October 06, 2020, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Oddly that last photo taken from the rear makes it look like a relative of Lindberg's "Spirit of St Louis" ?  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Huh!!!   You're right, I can "see it" too. Fascinating!   Maybe I should blank out the wind screen.   ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

NARSES2

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 14, 2020, 10:50:00 AM
Huh!!!   You're right, I can "see it" too. Fascinating!   Maybe I should blank out the wind screen.   ;D

Yea  ;D

No, glad it's not just me
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TheChronicOne

Back at it. I primed it with some new stuff I'm trying, Duplicolor Automotive Primer. I bought a few cans at a deep discount and..... this stuff is great! It's might dark but I was hoping it would be because I'm going to let it ride as one half of the night-camo. I'll mask the camo patterns then try another new paint: farm implement black. If all goes well, it will look as I invisioned which is a two tone camo consisting of colors that aren't THAT different from one another.

I've since finished painting the nose gear and the propeller. I made an attempt at the spinner and messed it up and stripped it bare again. I'll approach it from a different angle tomorrow then it will be good to go.
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Nice! :thumbsup:

The main change to get a like-final result will be installing the canopy... <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

No doubt. I'm kind of dreading it. I elected to take a chance that it and the side windows fit well enough with just a tiny bit of sanding but if anything is substantially wrong I risk having to re-paint window frames. We'll see how it goes!
-Sprues McDuck-

zenrat

My fingers are crossed for you mate.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TheChronicOne

Cheers. It may be prudent to stop right quick and dry fit them to see what the score is..... rather than at the end. In fact,  considering the fitment of everything else, I'm not sure what lead me to such a stupid decision....   hmmm.....  :unsure:

Anyway..... woke up late today so not sure how much I'll get done today but I'll try at least! I have one more experiment that I'm running on this thing that I might try....   I'm going to use little kids stickers to make camo patterns... you know, they already have weird shapes and all that and might be a very easy very quick way to achieve a camo pattern and getting them at the dolla-sto means they're cheap. I'll get into that with pictures later but it's a thing I've been wanting to try for quite some time.
-Sprues McDuck-

Flyer

Sounds like a great idea using stickers for camo masks  :thumbsup: as long as they don't lift paint on removal  :unsure:

Good luck, look forward to seeing the results  :mellow:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

That's what I was thinking, too, and I forgot to wash this thing before I primed it.  ;D    Perhaps I should do the "put them on your jeans first" to remove some of the tackiness? I'll test one before I move ahead and do the whole thing.

Masking things now for ... decorations..... more painting. I'm not divulging anything further to maintain suspense and not spoil the final reveal. This probably means no more pics until conclusion. With that said, If I just hunker down and get after it I could finish this up pretty quickly. Easier said than done... I have problems focusing and always seem to have to multi-task every thing I do.  :rolleyes:   So uhhhh.... well, I could be done two days or two weeks from know.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 27, 2020, 07:18:42 PM
So uhhhh.... well, I could be done two days or two weeks from know.  ;D
This is better than two months or two years or two decades or two lives... ;)
We will wait, no problem. <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TheChronicOne

Appreciated.  I'm happy to be building at all. I did completely away with all hobbies for about 7 months during the busy time of year at work and while I'm now having more free time and energy I'm still stuck in that that same rut so it's taking some effort to re-adjust and get myself to relax and have a little fun. I tell you what I'm looking forward to: a big winter storm that ices the whole city over and blizzards and is freezing cold. When stuff like that happens I find it much easier to relax and it's nice skipping work. Otherwise I feel obligated to constantly be doing chores or home projects, etc. It's downright annoying.  ;D

On that note, I have found time today.... two more pics..  This shouldn't spoil much but I wanted to document the masking experiment. The idea is sound and it was quick and easy to use the stickers and some didn't need any additional trimming to get a good pattern. The stickers aren't quite what I was expecting. Instead of stickers of the little cartoons themselves, they come with a surround that isn't as shapely as the figures themselves. I found these on the ground (free) but I will go to the store at some point and get some that have less ambiguous shapes.

The problem? These things BAAAAAARELY want to stick. I guess this is intentional in case little kids put them on expensive furniture or something but I'm literally having to clamp them on and a split second before I paint I'll take the clamps off and spray it before they start lifting off. Good news is the possibility of these lifting paint off of the subject are ZERO.

Anyway!!!  Seems like it should work out just fine; I just hope my color selection will work. The two camo colors are going to be quite close to one another so it's either going to look cool or look like a mistake. We'll see... I'm going to paint soon.

-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Looks like the best use possible for those stickers. :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

TheChronicOne

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 02, 2020, 03:30:29 PM
Looks like the best use possible for those stickers. :wacko:

No doubt.   ;D

Sprayed it up... I'll let it dry for an hour or two then see what the score is. Should be interesting... if it looks OK I'll finish up the detail painting then gloss it up for transfers. Closing in on the end of this one. Good stuff because I'm ready to get on with the next project.... ...
-Sprues McDuck-