The Captured G.B. - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, October 12, 2020, 06:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: McColm on October 21, 2020, 12:32:25 AM
I've come across a 1/72 Hasegawa Kawanishi Type-97 Flying Boat H6K5 Mavis,  there's some parts missing so the RAF could have captured it after a crash landing and made a few repairs to it to get it in fly worthy condition.

Sounds like a plan, go for it!  RAF did similar with at least one Bv222 (see https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=captured+bv+222&qpvt=captured+Bv+222&form=IGRE&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover) and if you paint it up in Sunderland-style colours there's tons of scope to confuse JMNs!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Quote from: kitbasher on October 21, 2020, 03:02:57 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 21, 2020, 12:32:25 AM
I've come across a 1/72 Hasegawa Kawanishi Type-97 Flying Boat H6K5 Mavis,  there's some parts missing so the RAF could have captured it after a crash landing and made a few repairs to it to get it in fly worthy condition.

Sounds like a plan, go for it!  RAF did similar with at least one Bv222 (see https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=captured+bv+222&qpvt=captured+Bv+222&form=IGRE&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover) and if you paint it up in Sunderland-style colours there's tons of scope to confuse JMNs!
Thanks,  the RAF did look at a Mavis there's a black and white photograph on wikipedia. It could have been the Indonesia had. Don't worry about confusion,  I'll change the engines and colour scheme.

NARSES2

A Mavis in NEIAF post war service would be interesting
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I have a 1/350 KMS Prinz Eugen I intend doing as a RAN war prize (passed on to Australia by the US, instead of nuking her after they couldn't get her to work properly) but I'm not sure I'd have the time to do the 1960s/70s version I want to do within the time-frame of the GB.

I may give it a shot but I have another GB build going & I'm not sure I want the stress of two GB builds at once, either.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 21, 2020, 08:49:12 AM
I have a 1/350 KMS Prinz Eugen I intend doing as a RAN war prize (passed on to Australia by the US, instead of nuking her after they couldn't get her to work properly) but I'm not sure I'd have the time to do the 1960s/70s version I want to do within the time-frame of the GB.

I may give it a shot but I have another GB build going & I'm not sure I want the stress of two GB builds at once, either.

That sounds very juicy... Please do it.
Wish I had thought of it now. :angry: :unsure:

tigercat

One Scenario  could be a failed Sea Lion . So lots of German Kit handed over to training commands and the Home Guard

zenrat

Quote from: tigercat on October 23, 2020, 09:17:04 AM
One Scenario  could be a failed Sea Lion . So lots of German Kit handed over to training commands and the Home Guard

The thought of the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard with their own Panzer IV...

I ordered some these today from Blue Rider - Used by the Red Army of China between '45 & '46 on captured IJA aircraft.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 24, 2020, 03:17:42 AM

Or a Tiger!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2020, 04:58:24 AM

They don't like it up 'em!

rickshaw

Quote from: Doug K on October 24, 2020, 05:02:48 AM

Don't Panic!  Don't Panic!  Don't Panic!   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tigercat

This has given me an idea . How's to check rules on writing a story 

Rheged

OK then,  here goes:-

The story of the Walmington on Sea Panzer

Following the failure of Operation Sealion, a great deal of German military equipment was abandoned on the south coast.  Most was gathered up in a great reuse and recycling drive by British armed forces, but Home Guard units were permitted to salvage some "items of transport" for their own use.  The Walmington on Sea Home Guard   had disabled a Panzer Mk IV  in a field beside Private Godfrey's cottage (Sergeant Wilson having sauntered up to the tank, jammed a crowbar in the tracks, knocked on the hatch and  announced "I say, you chaps, my men are all around you with barrels of petrol.  Would you prefer to surrender or shall we  start striking matches?"  The crew emerged to be taken prisoner and driven off under guard in Corporal Jones' butchers van.  Friendly farmers built a haystack around the tank until Captain Mainwaring had cleared up the necessary paperwork for the Home Guard to gain good  title to "a German vehicle to transport the platoon around their area".

Private Walker used his black market contacts to acquire sufficient fuel, and after some trials, private Pike was found to be a reliable driver....."it's just like the dodgem cars at the funfair!".   Captain Mainwaring having been persuaded that inside the tank was oily, smelly and claustrophobic, command of the vehicle fell to Sergeant Wilson. As a former captain in the Royal Artillery, he  had  seen action at Mons, Gallipoli and on the Somme, where he had temporarily taken charge of  a group British Mark IV tanks after their CO had been badly wounded.

The Walmington panzer was used as a mobile pillbox along the promenade, and never fired a shot in anger.  Its only claim to fame was during the VJ day parade.  As the former Home Guard platoon (except for Private Godfrey, who was excused boots) marched proudly along the promenade, Captain Mainwearing was incensed to find that the Royal Artillery had very temporarily recalled his former sergeant to the colours, thus allowing Captain Wilson to wear his First World War uniform, displaying his DSO, MC and bar and Croix de Guerre as he stood in the tank commanders hatch. The unfortunate accident with the ARP warden's Austin 7 was assumed to be part of the celebrations,its roof having been wrenched away as the tank traversed its gun in the show field after the parade

No one is quite sure what happened to the Panzer MkIV after that, but it is rumoured that Private Walker sold it to the Royal Tank Regiment museum.

There you are, people, another backstory that someone might like to use.  As usual, amendments, additions and modifications to this post are encouraged.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

Lance Corporal Jones  dabbed tentatively at the paperwork . He was sure that the bit of liver that had leaked on the document  hadn't obscured anything that important. Tentatively he knocked on Captain Mainwearing  office door . Flinching as his fist made an impression in the temporary replacement paper door.

Later that Same day St Aldenham church hall   

Captain Mainwearing stood in front of his men as they stood at parade .

" Men the War Office have seen fit to assign a piece of artillery captured by our brave lads in this recent unpleasantness . It is unclear what kind  of artillery it is due to some irregularities with the paperwork but I'm sure whatever it is   , it will be a fine addition to our forces . Frazer I know you were at Jutland  in the last lot so I'll put you in charge of our new acquisition."

Fraser adjusted his rifle . " I cannae shoot the gun suh . I was a cook in the navy . I learnt to cook on the wild isles of Barrow . In the Winter it was wild and the snow fell 6 feet deep . It was only by making porridge you could lose a spoon in that we could survive ."

Captain Mainwearing tapped  a blackboard behind him  with a diagram .

" well as an old Soldier Jones I'm sure you can figure something out .

Lance Corporal Jones  eyes glitterred

"Captain Mainwearing sir , let me be  in charge Sir , let me , they don't like It up em the Germans , they don't like the old HE."

Captain Mainwearing returned to his diagram .

" First up we'll have to demolish the band stand to give a clear field of fire along the parade .
"
Private Walker interrupted. " I know a man who can take it off your hands Captain Mainwearing, a lovely piece of scrap metal...for the war effort ."

Sergeant Wilson strolled  nonchalantly into the Church Hall " Do you think that's wise Sir ?"

Captain Mainwearing  looked over his glasses at Wilson " I've had just about had enough of your defeatist attitude Wilson ...Yes Godfrey ? "

Godfrey looked slightly startled and adjusted his medical knapsack .
" can I be excused Sir "

" yes Godfrey " sighed Captain Mainwearing . Godfrey retreated slowly in the direction of the conveniences

Sergeant Wilson coughed " a couple of chaps from the catering corps have just delivered our latest acquisition.
"
"The catering corps Wilson ? Surely you mean our brave boys in the Royal Artillery Wilson " said Captain Mainwearing slightly pompously .

Sergeant Wilson hid a smile.

"It's a field kitchen Sir , I believe the Germans call them a Goulashkannon Sir.

Private Walker tucked a roll up behind one ear . " It looks like Frazer will be in charge of it after all , I can get you some  local honey for your porridge Jock , very reasonable prices . "

Doug K

Quote from: rickshaw on October 24, 2020, 05:47:12 AM
Quote from: Doug K on October 24, 2020, 05:02:48 AM

Don't Panic!  Don't Panic!  Don't Panic!   :thumbsup:

Don't tell him Pike!

PR19_Kit

I'm guffawing loudly at Rheged's offering, and reading Tigercat's with the correct voices, no less!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit