CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby

Started by Old Wombat, October 12, 2020, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 17, 2020, 06:27:40 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on December 17, 2020, 01:24:36 AM

It's probably one of those "scale" things with colours, like paint swatches can look great laid out on the table but, once the room's painted, they look like crap.

Tell me about it  :banghead:

And yet sometimes what doesn't look right can be rectified by some quite simple changes. Colour and visualisation is an extremely odd thing.

Yup, I've been there too.  Things look right until you view them in daylight/ artificial light/ under a different lamp.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents, glad I'm not the only one. :thumbsup:

Here are the photo's, so you can see the issue for yourselves:

See, too light! :banghead:

I've lightly sanded the surface & haven't cleaned the dust off properly, yet, but the prop hub is one of those cool little successes (it fits snuggly without wobbling or needing to be prised off). ;D

I thought a careful wash of dark grey might work But I really don't know. :-\

PS: Obviously I haven't done any fix-ups or touch-ups, yet, as I haven't decided how to fix the major issue.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

It may be lighter than you wanted but I think that looks awesome as is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Old Wombat

Thanks, Brad! :thumbsup:

Maybe I'll think it looks better after I've cleaned it off? :unsure:

zenrat

It looks great to me.  But i'm certainly not the right person to ask about colour matches.

To darken it I would try applying a filter.  Either of the darker blue (or is it a grey?), or if you didn't want to add a blue tinge to the grey, of a darkened mix of the grey.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Looks ok to me and besides the markings will probably completely change the look of it. Quite often been unsure of something, then put the transfers on and it looks the way I visualised it in the beginning.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I'd give it a wipe down, then look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.  If you're still not happy, try Chris's suggestion cut out the decals and lay them on top for a look see?

If it's still not right, maybe just treat the lightest grey?  Looking at your Hellcat, I think it's the green that darkens it up.  if you find a grey with similar brightness you get the same effect.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Okay, well, the overall consensus seems to be that the colours ain't so bad, so I guess I'll keep them as is.

Received the 4 x .50cal brass gun barrels to finish the armament. So that's the next job, after which I'll gloss coat & decal the beast, then semi-gloss/dull coat it & she'll be done.

However, I can't see that all being finished until after Christmas.

Cheers! :cheers:

Guy

Old Wombat

Test fitted the prop, canopy & wheels today ... Oo-ooh!* 8)

[*: Even if I do say so myself! ;)]

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

I haven't checked against the Hellcat but there is a good 10mm+ of clearance for the prop.

Old Wombat

Hey, Dizzy! ;D

I checked against the Hellcat. The short undercarriage makes the Sea Wombat look squat but;

1) there is as much potential movement in the Sea Wallaby's oleo struts as the are in the Hellcat's;
2) the Sea Wallaby's prop tips are about 1mm higher (in 1/48 scale) than the Hellcat's when both are resting on their tail wheels; &
3) the Sea Wallaby's prop tips are about 1mm lower (in 1/48 scale) than the Hellcat's, when both are resting on their main gears with their tails raised until the tail-planes are horizontal.

May not be perfect but it's do-able! :thumbsup:

rickshaw

Colour is a difficult thing to tell correctly on a PC screen.  I'd go with what you have.  It looks OK to me and remember, in real life it would be subject to all sorts of lighting tricks.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

That bit's been decided, mate, is staying as is. :thumbsup:

Now I just have to fix up the canopy f***-up! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The Rat

Not normally a fan of luftstuffe, but the way you've cobbled those bits together with the Boomerang is sheer artistry! Looks so natural that people could easily be fooled into wondering what's what, or where one leaves off and the other begins.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr