CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby

Started by Old Wombat, October 12, 2020, 07:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I did such a detail on a 1:20 car model (a Honda Life Step Van, MANY moons ago...), with balsa wood cubes covered in saw dust.

1:20 Aoshima "Honda Life - Step van" by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Motorsport Miniatures in Minneapolis used to sell some fluffy dice way back when. I nearly bought a set, but thought better of it.

They were manufactured by a garage crew in Wisconsin somewhere who did all sorts of oddball accessories for the 1/24 model car market, and I still have a few of their bits and pieces.

Sadly MM closed down just before I retired in 2008. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

I'm up to PSR round 5 ... or is it 6? ... on the tail unit at the moment. :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

OK, some photo's of this PSR Queen;

The tail section is as done as I'm going to bother with. As you can see, it's still slightly rough (worse in pic's than in person) & all the detail is gone, so I'll need to recreate some.

Remember, it's just the tail section we're looking at, here, the wings have just had their first putty applied.

Thanks for watching! :thumbsup:

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Old Wombat

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wouldn't really call it "complicated", Dizzy. A bit "finicky", perhaps, getting things to line up & blend in.

A few bits added to strengthen joins but nothing more major than that, apart from the PSR.

The most awkward part was re-joining the tail after I took the 15mm out of the length (rear fuselage is still about 20mm longer than the Boomerang rear fuselage).

I've finished PSR on the wings (only 2 rounds) & tomorrow (OK, later today) I'll have my work cut out cutting out individual instrument faces from the Fw.190 control panel decal ... because the Boomerang didn't come with one & there are no aftermarket items I can find to do the job (decals/PE).

Once they're done & lacquered down, it'll be time to put the cockpit together & give it a bit of wear-&-tear.

TheChronicOne

Hell, that worked out pretty well I'd say!! 

Yeah....... have fun with them decals. I'm frustrated just imaging it. Hope none blow off in the wind!  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

Old Wombat

Cockpit ... I was ready to throw this against the wall at one point.

The instructions are weak on location of parts, there are (again & obviously) no locating pins, parts placement is (as designed) poor & they don't actually fit into the space provided. I, quite literally, had to pull the cockpit apart, find the best photo's of Boomerangs undergoing restoration that I could (none of them had a decent image of the left side of the cockpit from the inside/right, so that is half-guesswork) & rebuild it based on the photo's. There are no transfers/decals for any of the instrument panels & most of the colour call-outs for the control levers are either questionable or outright wrong. I didn't bother fixing up the incorrect lever colours but I cut up the Fw.190 cockpit control panels decals into individual instruments & used them to populate the Boomerang panels as best I could.

The seat harness is a pre-painted Eduard (I think?) PE set - the kit comes with a very similar, but unpainted, PE harness.

Here are the photo's of the salvaged item; the inside walls of the fuselage show where parts were removed & moved into the cockpit , where they were meant to be, but they're, luckily, pretty much unseen once the sides are together.

End result isn't disgusting but not as good as I'd have liked. Now I just have to insert some clear parts & fit the cockpit into the centre fuselage section as I put it together.

Yay! :-\

Thanks for following along! :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, that cockpit is COMPLICATED!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Not wrong, Kit! :rolleyes:

And the really fun part is, when I get around to building my RW Boomerang (I have another kit in the stash for that purpose), I'll pretty much have to build the entire thing from scratch because the kit's cockpit is so poorly designed. :banghead: :banghead:

NARSES2

The cockpit of the SH 1/72 kit I got yesterday looks quite nice, I just hope it builds better ?

Well done mate that cockpit looks very respectable to me, hope it fits ok.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Together, now. Not without its frustrating, anger-inducing problems but it's together & attached to the rest of the fuselage & wings. More PSR on the way but I knew that was coming. :thumbsup: