Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Finnish MiG-3 is a might-have-been. I see that somebody has been offering decals for it.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Rheged on October 15, 2020, 04:23:55 AM
If memory serves correctly (insert here emoji for failing mental processes) the Imperial Germany Army in World War One used more captured British tanks than home-made ( type A7V).

That's right. About 40 Mark IVs were operated by German forces, vs. 20 produced A7Vs.

Reminds me of an 1:72 Emhar Mark IV which I must have somehere in the stash...  :rolleyes:

Old Wombat

As the Germans only built 20 A7V's I'm not overly surprised by that fact. ;)

(Oops! Missed the next page - Dizzy is correct! :thumbsup:)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

Come to think of it, isn't the only A7V in existence a captured example.............I think in Australia.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

rickshaw

Quote from: Rheged on October 15, 2020, 05:29:33 AM
Come to think of it, isn't the only A7V in existence a captured example.............I think in Australia.

Mephisto.  Held at the war memorial in Brisbane.   The Germans sent over a technical team in the 1980s and they took all the measurements they could and paid for the vehicle to be preserved in a glass enclosure.  It had spent the previous 50 plus years outside.  Apparently, despite the exposure, it was actually in pretty good nick.  The Germans went home and built one of their own.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

I guess that's the replica that resides at the Panzermuseum in Munster?

NARSES2

Quote from: perttime on October 15, 2020, 04:36:55 AM
Finnish MiG-3 is a might-have-been. I see that somebody has been offering decals for it.

My build for this GB will be a captured Soviet type operated by the Finnish AF. I just have to confirm they didn't actually have one.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 15, 2020, 06:30:03 AM
My build for this GB will be a captured Soviet type operated by the Finnish AF. I just have to confirm they didn't actually have one.

Kalinin K-7?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Quote from: TomZ on October 15, 2020, 06:40:01 AM

Kalinin K-7?

TomZ

Nope, although I do have a couple of "odd" Unicraft Soviet types in the stash.  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 15, 2020, 05:00:13 AM
Quote from: Rheged on October 15, 2020, 04:23:55 AM
If memory serves correctly (insert here emoji for failing mental processes) the Imperial Germany Army in World War One used more captured British tanks than home-made ( type A7V).

That's right. About 40 Mark IVs were operated by German forces, vs. 20 produced A7Vs.

Reminds me of an 1:72 Emhar Mark IV which I must have somehere in the stash...  :rolleyes:

From my sources, I believe there were  more than 40 Beutepanzers fielded.  I think it was 40 intact tanks captured with at least another 40 put together from cannibalised tanks.  The total number captured was around 180 in various states of repair.  There where also at least two Whippets and several French FT's and Schneiders that were captured but not put into frontline service.

In addition to the 20 production A7V, there were at least two of different variant based on 524 Heidi.  These were operated by the Freikorps.  It was thought for many years that Heidi was the only one built if this variant, but a photo was found showing another with 524 that remains unidentified.  There were also three flakpanzers built and at least one trench digger.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 15, 2020, 05:50:53 AM
I guess that's the replica that resides at the Panzermuseum in Munster?

Yes.  There's also a functional replica in the UK that starred in War Horse.  It resides at the Tank Museum at Bovington with the Mk IV replica that was also built for the film.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Thinking deffo a FW190 and possibly a Mosquito.  Although a MiG-23 is beckoning instead of the Mossie.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Mine's going to have twin booms.

Tophe WILL be pleased.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

Quote from: perttime on October 15, 2020, 04:36:55 AM

This list is pretty thorough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_aircraft_of_Finland