Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

One of my oldies...Boscombe Mig built many moons ago for the OWGB.  Kit is 1/72 Fujimi if I remember correctly.

Backstory had two East German (I think) MiGs defecting and one ending up at ETPS. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Knightflyer

Well those knock my 1/144 Airfix MiG-21 into the middle of next week!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Just the sort of thing the ETPS WOULD have had too.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 13, 2020, 12:23:49 PM
Just the sort of thing the ETPS WOULD have had too.  :thumbsup:

Oooh, I doubt it.  Unless it was a two seater, and even then I doubt it.  A&AEE and it's successors yes.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

I have a  few different  migs and  sukhoi aircraft  as back up for my original idea. One which could be  a  huge bit that I  can't chew but never mind, you never know and all that  glass half full drivel.
I am going to dig out my Amodel  1/72nd scale  Beriev Be 10 Mallard.  Hopefully it won't fight me too much  and I can get it  finished in time.  The aircraft will  be a captured/ defected  aircraft  that escaped  via the Baltic  skimming the sea to avoid  radar, and upon seeing several  royal navy  vessels  in the north  sea , set down near to  one of  said  vessels  and gave themselves up. The aircraft will be in service with both the  RAF and the navy  and used to simulate  the new breed of huge air launched  anti ship missiles  the Soviets had in their  possession in the early 60's.  It could get  a grey/ green  camouflage scheme to blend in when  beached. The aircraft  could also be  passed of to the nosey public  as being a  Saunders Roe  prototype  on test. Black  undersides  could be the order too and some  early data / transponder  pods for the simulated  anti aircraft  fire  that will be used to defend against it.
I can't  remember just how big it is but I think it  is a similar size to the  Be 6. I just hope I  don't have any problems building it.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

buzzbomb

I have already done so many of the captured WW2 vehicles for other reasons like club events etc I will have to put the thinking cap on.
here is one already on the shelf

Dizzyfugu

:police:

Seized Porsche 911, now in service of the Hoover PD, Alabama.

zenrat

Quote from: Sport21ing on October 14, 2020, 02:47:49 AM
One more link  ;D

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/394/WTF.aspx

Excellent.

From here I learn that the Spitfire that the Luftwaffe re-engined with a DB-601 was a presentation aircraft funded by my father's school - Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Joe C-P

Quote from: Sport21ing on October 13, 2020, 05:08:21 AM
How about warships as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Captured_ships

Plus, "Sci-Fi", like the transports ships on Star Wars VI and Rogue One, plus the alien "fighter" from "Independence Day"?

;D

Fudgeroohoos!  I have such ideas for this, and my hobby room is packed for our impending move.  So many ideas rumbling in my head: pick a ship that was sunk, alter the story so it was damaged and abandoned and there it is.  I've already done Shinano as a USN carrier and Deutchland as a USN battlecruiser, thought about USS Hornet or USS Rochester (the old armored cruiser) in the IJN, and there were French ships almost captured by the Germans, and many ships seized by the Allies after both World Wars.  The USN took over two Austro-Hungarian pre-dreadnoughts during WWI.

For SF there's an upcoming Star Trek series about a bunch of rowdy young people coming on an abandoned Starfleet ship and taking it over.

Have fun with this!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 13, 2020, 06:58:56 AM

Actually, Tito's partisans had (almost) an air force of their own, with mostly Yugoslav pilots operating under RAF command, using RAF aircraft (Hurricanes & Spitfires, mostly, but also Beaufighters, etc.), but at Tito's beck-&-call.

They also used British-supplied armoured cars (not tanks) but they did supplement them with captured German & Italian equipment.

Very much so, especially towards the end of the War, but earlier on they had a less formal set up which included at least one captured Stuka.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

That reddy orange  FW190 is interesting . 

Rheged

If memory serves correctly (insert here emoji for failing mental processes) the Imperial Germany Army in World War One used more captured British tanks than home-made ( type A7V). 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet