Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: tigercat on October 30, 2020, 05:40:52 AM
In 1667, flagging English national morale was further depressed by the Raid on the Medway in which a Dutch fleet invaded the Thames and Medway rivers and on 12 June captured the uncommissioned Royal Charles,[1] removing her with great skill to Hellevoetsluis in the United Provinces. The Dutch did not take her into naval service because it was considered that she drew too much water for general use on the Dutch coast. Instead the Royal Charles was permanently drydocked near Hellevoetsluis as a public attraction, with day trips being organised for large parties, often of foreign state guests. After vehement protests by Charles that this insulted his honour, the official visits were ended when she was auctioned for scrap in 1673.

Sometimes you visit somewhere and for some reason the name just sticks in your head.  Hellevoetsluis is one of those places.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on October 30, 2020, 01:55:42 AM

I must remind everyone that as both moderators are Dutch, we will take a very dim view of any entries portraying anything captured from the Dutch!
Anything captured BY the Dutch on the other hand......

;D ;D ;D

Orange Tri-angles Rule OK  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2020, 06:22:03 AM

I must remind everyone that as both moderators are Dutch, we will take a very dim view of any entries portraying anything captured from the Dutch!

;D ;D ;D

I think we should have a 'Going Dutch' GB next year.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2020, 07:21:00 PM

If you capture enough of them and you've got an arms industry of your own then it can be worthwhile putting the foreign ammo into production. IIRC the Germans did that with several Soviet systems: the 76.2mm field gun springs to mind.

Yup, undoubtedly the most well known. There must have been a few French 75's or their clones captured as well. I need to do some research.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 30, 2020, 07:15:36 AM

If you capture enough of them and you've got an arms industry of your own then it can be worthwhile putting the foreign ammo into production. IIRC the Germans did that with several Soviet systems: the 76.2mm field gun springs to mind.

Yup, undoubtedly the most well known. There must have been a few French 75's or their clones captured as well. I need to do some research.

A few??? Germans even developed a PaK specifically with  french  barrels and PaK 38 carriage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.5_cm_Pak_97/38
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

loupgarou

Quote from: kitbasher on October 30, 2020, 07:08:15 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 30, 2020, 06:22:03 AM

;D ;D ;D

I think we should have a 'Going Dutch' GB next year.

Going dutch is not when you invite a girl to dinner and then share the bill???   :rolleyes:

p.s. in italian is "alla romana"
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

tigercat

I'm not sure the getting your other half to pay for half the build GB will see many entries

Rick Lowe

Quote from: loupgarou on October 30, 2020, 11:28:21 AM

A few??? Germans even developed a PaK specifically with  french  barrels and PaK 38 carriage.

And they captured so many of the Russian 120mm mortar (and liked it so much) that they decided to put it into production themselves.

They liked the PPSh-41 SMG enough to rechamber them for 9mm - quote from Wiki :

After the German Army captured large numbers of the PPSh-41 during World War II, a program was instituted to convert the weapon to the standard German submachine gun cartridge – 9×19mm Parabellum. The Wehrmacht officially adopted the converted PPSh-41 as the "MP41(r)"; unconverted PPSh-41s were designated "MP717(r)" and supplied with 7.63×25mm Mauser ammunition (which is dimensionally identical to 7.62×25mm Tokarev, but slightly less powerful). German-language manuals for the use of captured PPShs were printed and distributed in the Wehrmacht.[29] In addition to barrel replacement, converted PPSh-41s also had a magazine adapter installed, allowing them to use MP-40 magazines. The less powerful 9mm round generally reduces the cyclic rate of fire to 800 to 750 RPM. Modern aftermarket conversion kits based on the original Wehrmacht one also exist using a variety of magazines, including Sten magazines. Some enthusiasts have been able to make them work with the original Soviet drum and stick magazines, eliminating the adapter, as well as use of the more powerful 9×23mm Winchester ammo.

Not surprisingly, as they would have captured them in bulk - again, Wiki says:

By spring 1942, the PPSh factories were producing roughly 3,069 units a day

jcf

When he was stationed in the Phillipines at the end of and after WWII Wally Parks, co-founder
of Hot Rod and Motor Trend magazines, founder of the NHRA (National Hot Rod Association)
the original drag-racing sanctioning body, hot-rodded a Bantam BRC-40 with a 2.3L /136 ci
Ford V8-60 Flathead from a captured Japanese vehicle. Love the shiny beauty rings on the
wheels. The name has been commonly been translated as 'Follow Me', however another Tagalog
to English translation is 'C'mon do it'.
;D
The BRC-40 was a limited production version of Bantam's competitor for the GP competition
that was won by Willys, even though Ford got the big production contracts.

This gives rise to notions of hot-rodded captured vehicles.  :thumbsup:

Sport21ing

The germans captured the FCM 2C super-heavy tanks from French, but never used - but what if they where that desperate?
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 30, 2020, 01:32:54 PM
When he was stationed in the Phillipines at the end of and after WWII Wally Parks, co-founder
of Hot Rod and Motor Trend magazines, founder of the NHRA (National Hot Rod Association)
the original drag-racing sanctioning body, hot-rodded a Bantam BRC-40 with a 2.3L /136 ci
Ford V8-60 Flathead from a captured Japanese vehicle. Love the shiny beauty rings on the
wheels. The name has been commonly been translated as 'Follow Me', however another Tagalog
to English translation is 'C'mon do it'.
;D
The BRC-40 was a limited production version of Bantam's competitor for the GP competition
that was won by Willys, even though Ford got the big production contracts.

This gives rise to notions of hot-rodded captured vehicles.  :thumbsup:

Nice pic.  The banjo steering wheel also looks non-standard.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on October 30, 2020, 11:28:21 AM

As I found out when I went a digging  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

In the Spanish Civil War, Franco's "Nationalists" captured quite a few "Republican" aircraft of Soviet origin.

What-If, the "Republicans" managed to capture and use German and Italian aircraft, originally used by Franco's side?

jcf

They did, several CR.32, S.81 Pipistrello (one?), and one each Bf 109B, He 111B-1;
the latter two being sent on to the USSR.

Mossie

Is it permissable to reverse the process, i.e., if a machine is better known in service with it's captors, is it possible to model it in service with it's original owne if it wasn't operated by the latter? Not my plan, but as an example, a LT vz. 38 in Czech service?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.