Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Hmmm, I not sure that qualifies as "captured". Or would the original user have captured one back?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

loupgarou

Quote from: Mossie on October 31, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Is it permissable to reverse the process, i.e., if a machine is better known in service with it's captors, is it possible to model it in service with it's original owne if it wasn't operated by the latter? Not my plan, but as an example, a LT vz. 38 in Czech service?

I am afraid it would not be a whif. EXCEPT if the Czechs had beaten Germany and continued invading Russia, of course.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Old Wombat

The Czechs did capture Jagdpanzer(JgPz) 38(t)s (Sd.Kfz. 138/2) towards the end of the war as the population rose up against the Germans.

So, what if the Germans had used Panzerkampfwagen(Pz.Kfw) 38(t)s (Sd. Kfz. 140) to police the Czechs (they may well have done for all I know) & the Czech resistance had captured one or two to use against the occupying Germans?

Edit: Note - The JgPz.38(t) "Hetzer"s were captured from the factory & had no guns, so the resistance used whatever they had available (panzerfausts & captured machine-guns).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

Thanks guys. The Pz.38 was an example, I'm planning something very different (not a tank).  WWII armour isn't my strong point, but I believe the Lt vz.38 didn't enter service with the Czechs, they produced several for export and had about 150 ready to roll out of the factory line when they were invaded. The Germans then used the near ready tanks and, impressed with it, took over production.  So I don't think, the Czech army took delivery of any?

The scenario I've got is similar, and I'll try and explain without revealing my hand.  A machine was in development by a faction that underwent a major regime change.  This machine was then put into use by the new dictatorship.  It's never been seen in the original users colours and markings.  The reason I'm asking is it involves a captured design that has only ever been seen after its it capture and is a whiff in the markings of it's original designer.  Does that make sense???

I think I'll message the mods directly, that might be easier than trying to explain around!!!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 21, 2020, 12:13:40 AM
Found this suitable inspiration item for the GB in my collection - Italian aircraft (well, a Ki-61 underneath with some mods...) operated by the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, captured by U.S. forces and then handed over to the Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force:

1:72 I.M.A.M. Ro.70 'Asta', aircraft "H" of the 155° Gruppo, 51° Stormo Caccia, Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana (Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force, ACI); Lecce-Galatina (Southern Italy), October 1944 (Whif/Hasegawa Ki-61 conversion)
by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Have had something very similar on the go since forever!  Ki-61 masquerading as an MC.205 (sort of), potentially in Irish colours (there was a nascent back story, don't ask!), then I thought post-war Italian, then maybe Rumanian (I've some Hs129 markings that would fit), then Chinese Nationalist (turns out they operated captured examples, so that scuppered that idea  :banghead:).  But this GB has provided the right inspiration; not entering it as a build, rather finishing it off in the background.  Pics to follow.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Old Wombat

Quote from: Mossie on November 01, 2020, 02:29:21 AM
... I believe the Lt vz.38 didn't enter service with the Czechs, they produced several for export and had about 150 ready to roll out of the factory line when they were invaded. The Germans then used the near ready tanks and, impressed with it, took over production.  So I don't think, the Czech army took delivery of any?

Correct, Mossie, the Czech army hadn't taken delivery of any production vehicles & most variants after the initial run were developed with oversight by German engineers for the Wehrmacht (even the initial vehicles were modified, before entering service, to suit the Germans).

I'm not a moderator but I think this type of scenario could fit the constraints of this GB ... but it's their call, either way.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

I've dropped them a line, I'll see what they decide.  :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

It's a no as conceived, but a slight markings change might work.  :thumbsup:

jcf

Hetzer production continued post-war and they were used by the Czech military.

rickshaw

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 01, 2020, 01:08:00 PM
Hetzer production continued post-war and they were used by the Czech military.
And the Swiss...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Sport21ing

The Calliope was mounted to other variants of the Sherman, similar multiple rocket launchers with the same type of rocket (though a different arrangement of tubes) were mounted to the Willys MB and cargo trucks (T27 Xylophone), but by far the most unusual mounting for the Calliope was on the Sd.Kfz.251 Ausf. D (Note that the launcher on these was in fact the same type of T34 Calliope as on the Sherman and not one of the similar types of launcher I mentioned). 22 Calliopes were to be mounted on tanks, and additionally, the 3508th Ordnance Medium Auto Maintenance Company was ordered to create a mounting for the Calliope in 5 captured Sd.Kfz.251s.

Later from: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/500956-sdkfz251-ausfd-calliope-an-unusual-american-modification/
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

Snowtrooper

^ that last link conveniently blocks most "German WW2 ground vehicle captured by the US and pressed to service" ideas since they would no longer be whiffs anymore :wacko:

Unless, of course, one does not paint them in OD only but uses eg. Desert Pink too and says they were captured in the Tunisian Campaign :wacko: Or goes full "Wehrmacht '46" and builds eg. E-100 captured during the Siege of the Alpine Redoubt campaign. :wacko:

jcf

Quote from: Snowtrooper on November 05, 2020, 12:55:34 PM
^ that last link conveniently blocks most "German WW2 ground vehicle captured by the US and pressed to service" ideas since they would no longer be whiffs anymore :wacko:

Unless, of course, one does not paint them in OD only but uses eg. Desert Pink too and says they were captured in the Tunisian Campaign :wacko: Or goes full "Wehrmacht '46" and builds eg. E-100 captured during the Siege of the Alpine Redoubt campaign. :wacko:

But did they bother to repaint them? That would only happen if they'd been put through a depot
level refurb before being used, which is doubtful. Therefore a repaint in OD with stencil applied
stars and coding (which would have to be made up) would be a Whif.