Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Looks like they did repaint but other shades of green exist so maybe a coat of Humbrol  30 for use in British Forces .  Maybe with Mickey Mouse camo

The 83rd Infantry Division, nicknamed Thunderbolt, first entered combat in Normandy in late June 1944. Generally fighting as part of Patton's Third Army, they were involved in major combat across Northern 

But the 83rd was a light division with very little in the way of organic transportation assets.

According to the After Action Report of the 329th Infantry Regiment, the Rag-tag Circus was born of necessity when the regiment's ten non-organic trucks were detached for other duties. As the battalion commanders protested, word came down from the division commander, "utilize to the fullest extent the captured German transportation they had in their possession."

The 83rd took the idea and ran with it.

Any German vehicle they could get their hands on got a coat of OD green paint and some white stars and was pressed into service.

They commandeered all manner of vehicles: trucks, staff cars, motorcycles, buses, German tanks, and even a Messerschmitt BF 109 was confiscated and piloted by a member of the division.

One of the more famous vehicles pressed into service was a German fire truck. Loaded with infantrymen, it proudly displayed a banner with the division's intentions, Next Stop: Berlin

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

tigercat

I'd want the stars and stripes painted across top the Jagbos were a bit trigger happy

I 've seen Kelly's Heroes

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tigercat on November 06, 2020, 05:22:11 AM

A CRACKING film, a Family Spackman fave.  :thumbsup:

'It's a mother beautiful bridge and it's gonna be there!'  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on November 06, 2020, 05:22:11 AM
I'd want the stars and stripes painted across top the Jagbos were a bit trigger happy

How about draping a large Stars and Stripes over it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

Technically he captured a bank full of gold . Sort of Freelance  capturing .

"Enough with those negative vibes Moriaty "

PR19_Kit

Wasn't it 'Don't keep making with those negative vibes Moriarty'?   ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

It varied, including "Always with the negative vibes, Moriarty!" ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Nick

I have been inspired not by an apple falling on my head, but by a decal sheet dropping from my shelf  ;)

Red Army of China 1945-46, printed by Blue Rider. I bought this cheap at a show last year if I remember right.
It features the markings for three different types:
Ki-43 Hayabusa aka Oscar, a Ki-45 Toryu aka Nick, and a Ki-46 Dinah. These were taken over by the Chinese in varying numbers until the late 1950s.

But I don't have any of those in my stash and they wouldn't be right for this build.  :-\

What I could do is an A6M2 Zero, a type for which I can find no pictures or proof of use in those markings by the Chinese Red Army. Unless anybody here knows better....?  :unsure:

tigercat

They  should make a prequel . Oddball from D Day to  .....

Mossie

Quote from: Nick on November 06, 2020, 10:11:22 AM
I have been inspired not by an apple falling on my head, but by a decal sheet dropping from my shelf  ;)

Red Army of China 1945-46, printed by Blue Rider. I bought this cheap at a show last year if I remember right.
It features the markings for three different types:
Ki-43 Hayabusa aka Oscar, a Ki-45 Toryu aka Nick, and a Ki-46 Dinah. These were taken over by the Chinese in varying numbers until the late 1950s.

But I don't have any of those in my stash and they wouldn't be right for this build.  :-\

What I could do is an A6M2 Zero, a type for which I can find no pictures or proof of use in those markings by the Chinese Red Army. Unless anybody here knows better....?  :unsure:

There's a Wiki list, doesn't include the Zero.  Quite a few Western types so potential there.  I read recently, can't remember where, that a Corsair found itself in Chinese hands.   
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historic_aircraft_of_the_People%27s_Liberation_Army_Air_Force

Found this on Pinterest though, the Nationalists captured one and sent it to the US when they were done with it.  If it never got to the US, it could have found itself in Communist hands.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

"I don't need you. Sixty feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere..." ;D

How about captured pioneer, construction and logistics stuff?

There are kits of German recovery vehicles and the like around, and since they're far less numerous than normal AFVs, the chance that one was captured in real life is less likely.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Another thing you could do to make a vehicle look more 'captured' is swap the pintle-mounted MGs for the captors' model, so in 1944 ETO, this means swapping MG-42s for Brens, 30cal Brownings and M2HBs. In reality, the advancing forces would probably capture enough 7.92mm Mauser ammo to keep their MG-42s going*, but you can always say that they captured the vehicles with them missing/damaged and that they had spare familar guns from their own wrecks to transfer. Also, the Germans had no equivalent of the .50cal M2HB so if the US crew of a captured vehicle decided they just HAD to have one, then bodging their own on is the only way to go.

*British tank units used 7.92mm Mauser in their BESAs anyway, so the logistic support was there. Not so for the US Army though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers

What about the yacht the Lieutenant liberates . Some kind of captured kit on a trailer maybe . A boat or bulldozer .