Main Menu

Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 10, 2020, 04:48:00 AM
Another thing you could do to make a vehicle look more 'captured' is swap the pintle-mounted MGs for the captors' model, so in 1944 ETO, this means swapping MG-42s for Brens, 30cal Brownings and M2HBs. In reality, the advancing forces would probably capture enuogh 7.92mm Mauser ammo to keep their MG-42s going*, but you can always say that they captured the vehicles with them missing/damaged and that they had spare familar guns from their own wrecks to transfer. Also, the Germans had no equivalent of the .50cal M2HB so if the US crew of a captured vehicle decided they just HAD to have one, then bodging their own on is the only way to go.

*British tank units used 7.92mm Mauser in their BESAs anyway, so the logistic support was there. Not so for the US Army though.

Already organised for my captured Sd.Kfz 251.  I have a Thompson to replace the drivers Schmeisser, Lee Enfields to go in the K98 racks, and a 50 Cal to be pintle mounted at the rear.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Oh there's a thought: Maxxon quad .50cal AAA mount from the M16 halftrack on a captured German base vehicle. Story could be something like the original vehicle found a mine the hard way, but the gun mount survived.

Havn't checked, but I suspect the Sd.Kfx 251's open top is too narrow. It'd be perfect on one of the half-track prime-movers like the Sd.Kfz.7 though: after all, that's exactly what the Germans did with their light AAA.

Those half-track prime-movers might also seem attractive as a replacement towing vehicle to crews of allied anti-tank or field guns (especially the latter, where there's much less chance of a blue-on-blue accident). Indeed, the British Army was so impressed with them that they asked British industry to produce an improved copy, but the war ended before it could enter production: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._7#British_Improved_Copy

Good article on the Vauxhall BT "copy" of the Sd.Kfz.7: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/UK/vauxhall-BT-three-quarter-track-traclat
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 11, 2020, 05:44:17 PM
Oh there's a thought: Maxxon quad .50cal AAA mount from the M16 halftrack on a captured German base vehicle. Story could be something like the original vehicle found a mine the hard way, but the gun mount survived.

Havn't checked, but I suspect the Sd.Kfx 251's open top is too narrow. It'd be perfect on one of the half-track prime-movers like the Sd.Kfz.7 though: after all, that's exactly what the Germans did with their light AAA.

Those half-track prime-movers might also seem attractive as a replacement towing vehicle to crews of allied anti-tank or field guns (especially the latter, where there's much less chance of a blue-on-blue accident). Indeed, the British Army was so impressed with them that they asked British industry to produce an improved copy, but the war ended before it could enter production: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sd.Kfz._7#British_Improved_Copy

Good article on the Vauxhall BT "copy" of the Sd.Kfz.7: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/UK/vauxhall-BT-three-quarter-track-traclat

I can confirm it's too narrow for a QF 2 pounder unless traverse is very limited.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

tigercat

How about a captured Bishop Turret on a German base vehicle ?

Weaver

RAF fire vehicle based on a captured Sd.Kfz.7:

Apparently more than one was made, but they were quickly phased out as they used to tear up runways. Be good on some of those muddy grass fields though.

Picture from here: https://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk/oldies.html (This is the RAF & Defence Fire Service Association site, and is interesting in other respects too)

DaveCov has done a 1/76th model of this vehicle here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/raf-fire-monitor-half-track-conversion-t35944.html

You might imagine other service vehicles built the same way. Fueller? Aircraft tug? Armoured one with an early foam gun or used for "firefighters in, survivors out"?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on November 12, 2020, 04:22:17 AM
RAF fire vehicle based on a captured Sd.Kfz.7:

Apparently more than one was made, but they were quickly phased out as they used to tear up runways. Be good on some of those muddy grass fields though.

Picture from here: https://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk/oldies.html (This is the RAF & Defence Fire Service Association site, and is interesting in other respects too)

DaveCov has done a 1/76th model of this vehicle here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/raf-fire-monitor-half-track-conversion-t35944.html

You might imagine other service vehicles built the same way. Fueller? Aircraft tug? Armoured one with an early foam gun or used for "firefighters in, survivors out"?

Done.

SDKfz Tanker 3 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

tigercat

AURI

Maybe this will give inspired for other,  just after Indonesian Independence from Japanese Occupation, A Group of Aviation Engineer led by Sgt. Sajad, Decided to Reactivate an Ex-Dutch Bristol Blenheim in Madiun City, Eastern part of Java. The Re-activation Program of the Briston Blenheim Consisting of Changing the Engine to Japanese Engine Nakajima Sakae ( The Fact is The Blenheim used Nakajima Ha-115 taken from A Ki-43 Hayabusa ), Changing the Instrument Panels from the British into Japanese Gauges and Panels, and Fitting an Aerial Camera on the Nose for Reconnaisance Purpose. This Re-Engined Blenheim had a task to Breaching the Naval Blockade of Dutch Navy in the Indonesian War of Independence.

and this Photo when it crash

sideshowbob9

^ You learn something new every day. Thanks for that.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on November 14, 2020, 01:33:09 AM

We sure do, I'd never heard of that before. Very interesting markings too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2020, 04:27:06 AM

That's one of the reasons this site is so addictive.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 14, 2020, 04:27:06 AM

We can indeed learn something new every day if we keep our minds open  :thumbsup:

I do rather like those markings  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 14, 2020, 06:05:33 AM
I do rather like those markings  :thumbsup:

For those interested, I have one or two sets of these roundels from the Classic Plane kit of this Blenheim.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Mossie

That definitely looks very buildable.  One of those you'd think was a whiff.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.