Captured G.B. - Inspiration thread

Started by Hobbes, October 13, 2020, 01:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2020, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2020, 06:12:53 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 15, 2020, 01:21:05 AM
Lightning PR.2A?  Any chance of a pic?

Maybe Telford 21 would be an opportunity to spoof JMNs by only having obscure RW builds on the table, no whifs.

An interesting take on that could be a section for those models we thought were Wiff's only to find out that they weren't. Would mostly be a case of "Oh, you mean the xxxxx AF actually had one of them on trial".

Things people don't expect:

Yugoslavian Air Force actually had a couple of Folland Gnats.
RAF flew B-45 Tornados.
USAF had Mig-21s.
SdKfz half tracks were converted by the RAF as fire trucks.
Germany flew captured B-17s.
The Spanish Inquisition

Rheged

Quote from: tigercat on November 15, 2020, 01:12:14 PM
Quote from: Nick on November 15, 2020, 10:30:18 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2020, 06:12:53 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on November 15, 2020, 01:21:05 AM
Lightning PR.2A?  Any chance of a pic?

Maybe Telford 21 would be an opportunity to spoof JMNs by only having obscure RW builds on the table, no whifs.

An interesting take on that could be a section for those models we thought were Wiff's only to find out that they weren't. Would mostly be a case of "Oh, you mean the xxxxx AF actually had one of them on trial".

Things people don't expect:

Yugoslavian Air Force actually had a couple of Folland Gnats.
RAF flew B-45 Tornados.
USAF had Mig-21s.
SdKfz half tracks were converted by the RAF as fire trucks.
Germany flew captured B-17s.
The Spanish Inquisition
But what did Cardinal Biggles (the late Terry Jones) fly?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spanish_Inquisition_(Monty_Python)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Mossie

Japan and Portugal took Vampire T.55's on evaluation and retained them after ordering T.33's instead.  Japan's is on display I believe and Portugal passed theirs onto Katanga, which where strafed by Indian Canberra's as part of the UN operations.

Ceylon ordered five T.55's which were delivered, but sent straight back to Britain again when the Air Force commander realised they'd been too ambitious!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

The RAAF operated Do-24 three engined flying boats during WW2.  They were former Dutch aircraft which escaped as the Japanese moved into the Dutch East Indies.

This is well known here but might not be such common knowledge there.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2020, 02:36:05 AM

The RAAF operated Do-24 three engined flying boats during WW2.  They were former Dutch aircraft which escaped as the Japanese moved into the Dutch East Indies.

This is well known here but might not be such common knowledge there.

They'd have fooled me, I never knew that. VEEEEEEERY interesting!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

When I was but a yoof on my first tour as an RAF air trafficker (1981-82) I worked with a long grounded Master Navigator who had been trained on SAAF Ju86s in 1944-45!  Don't know what happened to him but he'd spent all his adult life in the RAF.

See https://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/aircraft/175/ju-86-k-3-z, https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kora-models-c7253-junkers-ju-86k-1-saaf--188604, https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=junkers+ju86+SAAF&form=HDRSC2&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

tigercat

He 115 were used by Raf

The four escaped aircraft were reformed into the Norwegian Helensburgh Group under Commander Bugge. The exiled Norwegian Cabinet Nygaardsvold made plans soon after arriving in Britain to use the four He 115 aircraft to perform leaflet dropping missions over Norway. The leaflet mission was to deliver a declaration to the Norwegian people, stating the Norwegian authorities were re-established in the UK and rejected any Nazi German overtures for a German–Norwegian peace deal. All four Norwegian He 115s were ordered from Helensburgh to Scapa Flow on 3 July 1940 to carry out the mission, although one had to return to Helensburgh due to engine problems. The three He 115s assembled at Scapa Flow were ordered to fly to Norway and drop the declaration over the cities of Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim. Shortly before the mission was to get under way the British Air Ministry intervened and stopped the expedition, insisting that such an undertaking would be suicidal to attempt with the slow flying He 115s. Three days later, the aircraft returned to Helensburgh.[10]

Three of the Norwegian He 115s (F.56, F.58 and F.64) were subsequently used in covert operations off Norway and in the Mediterranean Sea with Norwegian crews. In British service, the three received new serial numbers, BV184, BV185 and BV187.[7] BV184 was attacked and damaged by two Polish Spitfire fighters over the Bay of Biscay in the spring of 1942, while co-operating with French fishing boats and later lost in a refuelling fire in the UK.[11][7] BV185 was destroyed in an Italian air raid on Kalafrana, Malta after flying just one clandestine operation to North Africa.[7] BV187 flew several missions on the North African coast from its base in Malta before being destroyed by two German Bf 109s.[7]

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

A single Nakajima G8N Renzan prototype was taken by US Forces in '45 and returned to the US for assessment.
From what I have read it was very uncomfortable and was a pig to fly.  But then it was still in development and was not a production aircraft.
Hasegawa kit this in 1/72.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, a BIG aeroplane too, almost B-29 size!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

The G8N is B-17 sized, the G5N was close to the B-29 in size, a result of it's DC-4E roots.

Weaver

German experimental hangar photographed just after the end of the war:

Posted on Twitter by Tempest Books here: https://twitter.com/tempest_books/status/1331523019999571968?s=20
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

Interesting, is that a mustang tucked away ?

Dizzyfugu

At least two P-51s were captured, analyzed and flight-tested in the "Beute-Zirkus Rosarius", together with a mixed bag of other types.

There also was a re-engined (DB 605?), captured Spitfire...

SleeperService

Quote from: scooter on November 14, 2020, 08:37:17 AM
Perfect for taunting JMNs when/if the shows start up again.

OK I'm new here what or who is JMN? Please. Pretty please.