UH-1C of the PoAF - FINISHED - Page 2

Started by DogfighterZen, October 13, 2020, 07:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Well done, DfZ! Looks great in the one image! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

"The Portuguese colonial wars in the African continent saw the escalation of the fighting during the later years of the 1960s, with the increased support of the African independentist movements by several countries that were against the Portuguese colonialism.
The politics were very complicated regarding all the Portuguese colonial territories and there was a heavy dissent and criticism of the Portuguese presence in Africa from several United Nations and NATO allies but when Richard Nixon was reelected in the 1972 US presidential election, the US foreign affairs office was instructed to lift sanctions regarding arms sales to Portugal.

This sudden change of position regarding the Portuguese colonialist and dictatorial government was due to a growing fear in the White House that the Soviets might gain too much influence in these countries after the Portuguese were defeated. This was the assumption held by the CIA, who convinced Nixon to look at the African colonial wars like it was Vietnam and seeing that they were fighting communist expansion there, they should also worry about other conflicts like these.

It helped that the Portuguese were part of the UN and NATO but things would still have to be done under the media's radar because this would cause a stir in the UN council so, the CIA was charged with the task of "unofficially" supplying the Portuguese with military equipment to boost their front lines.
So, through the covert means that only the CIA has up it's sleeve, amongst other materials they supplied 25 ex-US Army Bell UH-1C gunships that were rehauled and got the more powerful Lycoming T53-L-13, making them in fact, M variants although the C designation was maintained by the PoAF.

These helicopters were shipped directly to the African continent to reduce overall costs and time for getting them to the front lines of the various conflict areas. Since the PoAF staff had never operated the Hueys, a few US Army instructor pilots and ground crew technicians were sent over with the machines to help with the adaptation process of the Portuguese to the Huey and the gunship's role and use in close air support, COIN and even in "hunter-killer" ops in . The first 6 machines and respective crews became operational in August of 73 at the PoAF's BA12, in the Guinean town of Bissalanca. These 6 machines were operated by the 122nd Squadron "Canibais".
The fact that more and more attention was being brought onto the African colonial wars by the international media, and also the reports of devastating attacks were being carried out by the Portuguese with modern American equipment, made the White House change their stance once more and just as they'd done earlier in the conflict in the early 60s with the American built F-86F Sabre fighters that had been deployed by the PoAF.

In January of 1974, the Portuguese government was advised by the UN security council representatives and the American ambassador in Lisbon, to stand down the Hueys and all other American built materials being used in all colonial territories or else, they would be facing serious consequences that could extend as far as being expelled from the UN and NATO list of countries and even worse, more harsh measures could be considered if the Portuguese did not stand down and began the transition of government to the national independentist movements in each of their colonies.

Although the Portuguese government seemed to not care and acted like it was an empty threat, the warning was taken seriously by the Portuguese people, who soon began a serious of riots and protests against the dictatorial government asking for the end of the wars and the independence of the colonies.
The April 11th of 1974 Carnation revolution would finally bring an end to the wars and the colonies. These countries would all see their dream of independence come true before the end of that decade.
The Hueys ended up being shipped to Portugal and were integrated into the several helicopter squadrons active in the PoAF flying Alouette III and Puma helicopters until they finally began being replaced by the AH-1Z in 2011, with the last 6 operational airframes still being operated by the 552nd squadron "Zangões" for weapons instruction and flight training."

Ok, another one done and i'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. As i've said before, although the kit has it's issues, they're not serious and all kits have their own share of those so, i won't complain.

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 12, 2020, 02:15:18 PM
Great little build ! One of my favourite machines the old Huey, and I'd say you nailed it.

Quote from: zenrat on December 13, 2020, 03:15:33 AM
Ooooh!

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 13, 2020, 06:18:16 AM
Well done, DfZ! Looks great in the one image! :thumbsup:

Better pics now, guys. :thumbsup: Hope y'all like it, i'm onto the next whirly bird... :mellow:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Old Wombat

More piccies = More impressive, especially in 1/72.

Great work, mate! :bow: :cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

DogfighterZen

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on December 14, 2020, 03:06:02 AM
Excellent work DfZ.  Very well done.
:thumbsup:
Thanks, mate! Glad you like it. :thumbsup:
It was supposed to have a shark mouth but the Hobbyboss decal didn't cooperate. It didn't have the correct shape and started to tear as soon as I tried to move it on the model. :banghead:
I'll have to try that on another build but I am happy with this one for now.

:cheers:

NARSES2

That really has come out well  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Especially as OW comments it's 1/72
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

DogfighterZen

Glad you like it, guys!  :thumbsup:
It was one i had in mind for a long time so it good to see it finished.

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on December 14, 2020, 09:43:05 AM
Very nice!  Gotta love a Huey Gunship!

Yes, sir! I like to see a well armed helo so, the gunship was my pick for my first Huey. :thumbsup: