E O D staff at work

Started by Rheged, October 14, 2020, 02:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

The Polish explosion is a lot more impressive than the English one.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

617 strike again.  ;D

It was a 5 TON bomb after all!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

So, where was Lützow, in 1945, in relation to where the bomb was found? :unsure:

I also wonder, how many ships & people had sailed over that bomb, completely unaware of the potential danger they were in? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

The 177th EOD usually makes it an annual training event when they go clear sections of Warren Grove Bombing Range.  Largest piece of ordinance they destroyed was a Mark 13 torpedo that was apparently tested the feasibility of using them as bombs.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 14, 2020, 05:42:58 AM

So, where was Lützow, in 1945, in relation to where the bomb was found? :unsure:

I also wonder, how many ships & people had sailed over that bomb, completely unaware of the potential danger they were in? :unsure:

It doesn't help sorting this out as there were TWO Lutzows!  :o

One was a cruiser that was never finished for the Kriegsmarine, and it was sold to Russia before WWII really got going, and was sunk in harbour by the Luftwaffe! She was re-floated and was eventually scrapped sometime in the 60s it seems.

The Lutzow that the Tallboy was aimed at was the lead pocket battleship, and was launched as the Deutschland, later renamed the Lutzow, just to confuse us I suspect. That ship was moored in the canal leading to Stettin from the Baltic when 617 got into the act, and a near miss sank her in the canal. Later, THAT Lutzow was re-floated too (!) and later scuttled. The Soviets re-floated here as well (it was obviously becoming a habit...) and later sunk as a target ship.

What a hectic and chaotic life it led!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Cowden is about ten miles from me.  Have a few stories about the place that I've mentioned before, if anyone wants to know  I'm happy to tell again.

The bombs at Cowden would be practice bombs as it was a range but it's probably the demolition charges that are making the little.  Bombs regularly get washed up there, they can also get embedded in the soft clay cliffs, which then erode again.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2020, 06:57:44 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on October 14, 2020, 05:42:58 AM

It doesn't help sorting this out as there were TWO Lutzows!  :o

One was a cruiser that was never finished for the Kriegsmarine, and it was sold to Russia before WWII really got going, and was sunk in harbour by the Luftwaffe! She was re-floated and was eventually scrapped sometime in the 60s it seems.

The Lutzow that the Tallboy was aimed at was the lead pocket battleship, and was launched as the Deutschland, later renamed the Lutzow, just to confuse us I suspect. That ship was moored in the canal leading to Stettin from the Baltic when 617 got into the act, and a near miss sank her in the canal. Later, THAT Lutzow was re-floated too (!) and later scuttled. The Soviets re-floated here as well (it was obviously becoming a habit...) and later sunk as a target ship.

What a hectic and chaotic life it led!

I was aware of which Lützow, Kit; which was, from what I've heard & read, renamed from Deutschland on orders from Hitler because of his fear of the negative impact on the morale of the German people if they read the headlines "Deutschland gesunken!".

What I was more interested in was how many metres/kilometres it was from where Lützow (nee Deutschland) was moored.

PR19_Kit

Pretty close, from what I read of 617's raid.

It's written up in the Hayne's 'Dambusters' book, and that says all the bombs, Tallboys and 1000 lbers, fell within a few yards of the ship. 617 were using the SBS bomb sight by then of course, and it worked pretty well.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

kerick

The story says the Polish bomb exploded while trying to defuse it. I strongly doubt anyone was trying to defuse it when it exploded as the story said no one was hurt. Plus the explosives would be unstable and dangerous after all this time even with the fuse removed. I'm pretty sure they blew it in place rather than even trying to move it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

They were using a remote submersible robot to de-fuse it apparently.

I guess the robot is no more............. :-\

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: kerick on October 14, 2020, 08:28:10 PM
The story says the Polish bomb exploded while trying to defuse it. I strongly doubt anyone was trying to defuse it when it exploded as the story said no one was hurt. Plus the explosives would be unstable and dangerous after all this time even with the fuse removed. I'm pretty sure they blew it in place rather than even trying to move it.

The wording on the BBC news for the intitial story was

Naval forces used a remote-controlled device to try to "deflagrate" the bomb - a technique that if successful burns the explosive charge without causing a detonation, the BBC's Adam Easton reports from Warsaw.

"The deflagration process turned into detonation. The object can be considered neutralised, it will not pose any more threat to the Szczecin-Swinoujscie shipping channel," said Lt Cmdr Grzegorz Lewandowski, spokesman for the Polish Navy's 8th Coastal Defence Flotilla.

"All divers were outside the danger zone."

Considered neutralised - didn't realise the Poles did classic British understatement!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 14, 2020, 10:04:11 AM
...Lützow...was, from what I've heard & read, renamed from Deutschland on orders from Hitler because of his fear of the negative impact on the morale of the German people if they read the headlines "Deutschland gesunken!"...

I've read that.  Possibly in Brickhills "Dambusters".

I have pondered the sensibleness of naming ships after one's royalty/leaders or one's nation for the very reason given by Corporal Schicklgruber.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 15, 2020, 02:46:14 AM

I have pondered the sensibleness of naming ships after one's royalty/leaders or one's nation for the very reason given by Corporal Schicklgruber.

Precisely why I reckon our Sea Lords should have named our new carrier 'Ark Royal'. It has lots of precedent of course.

Regards
Kit