Supersonic Harrier testbed

Started by Leading Observer, October 17, 2020, 02:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

Over on FB TSR Joe posted this link [url][https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964499-hawker-siddeley-harrier-xv798-supersonic-harrier-evaluation//url]
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

sideshowbob9

^ I had no knowledge of this! Thanks for the link!  :thumbsup:

Hobbes

Lest you think there was a plan to make a supersonic version of the P.1127 Harrier: that aircraft was used to test plenum chamber burning (PCB), i.e. afterburning in the nozzles of a VTOL engine like the Pegasus. The tests were all on a gantry, AFAIK, so the Harrier never flew with this engine.

The project was part of the BAe P.1216 development.

Leading Observer

Quote from: Hobbes on October 17, 2020, 02:59:21 AM
Lest you think there was a plan to make a supersonic version of the P.1127 Harrier: that aircraft was used to test plenum chamber burning (PCB), i.e. afterburning in the nozzles of a VTOL engine like the Pegasus. The tests were all on a gantry, AFAIK, so the Harrier never flew with this engine.

The project was part of the BAe P.1216 development.

In the real world that may have been true. On here...
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Nick

I haven't been to Weston on Mud for a very long time. I went to one model show there and the Helicopter Museum back in 2007. It must have changed a bit in that time.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

XV798 isn't at Weston any more, it's being restored at the moment at the Hucknall Flight Test Museum.

Doug K

There was a section of Francis K Mason's Harrier book which covered this. It was amazing to see the images of the test Ed with full PCB running. Basically 2 downward afterburners!

Another project killed by the RAF's reluctance to let go of their big runways...

zenrat

Britmodeller is a PitA because to makes me disable my adblocker.  Grrrrrr.

I have in my head an image of a Harrier taking off vertically on full afterburner screaming up into the sky on pillars of fire.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on October 17, 2020, 04:24:07 AM
I have in my head an image of a Harrier taking off vertically on full afterburner screaming up into the sky on pillars of fire.

A Biblical quote from Exodus  seems to suit this well.  As they trekked through the wilderness, they were led by "A pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of fire by night".   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

There's a BS100 engine, complete with those monster front nozzles, on a stand at the FAA Museum at Yeovilton. Compared to a 'normal' Pegasus  engine it's HUGE!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: Rheged on October 17, 2020, 05:25:23 AM
Quote from: zenrat on October 17, 2020, 04:24:07 AM

A Biblical quote from Exodus  seems to suit this well.  As they trekked through the wilderness, they were led by "A pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of fire by night".

Not a great idea as it was only the rear nozzels that would have had the PCB, the front ones being cold air, so you would have had an aircraft doing giant cartwheels in the sky!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

The BS100 engine had PCB on the front nozzles, that's why they were so massive.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

As Kit sez, the BS100 is a monster with forward PCB.

NARSES2

I was going to ask why the different coloured bands, but they explain why  :thumbsup:

Love the drip trays, well I assume that's what they are ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.