dh Hornet PR5

Started by PR19_Kit, October 20, 2020, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

One of the tins of Humbrol PRU Blue I have, actually says it's Petrol Blue. The tin number is the same though ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

One day we'll get all these blues sorted out.

But not in my lifetime I suspect.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Kit, I don't know exactly what blue you're looking for but Tamiya do XF-21 Sky (which is similar to the RAF greenish duck-egg blue worn during the BoB), XF-23 Light Blue (which is something like the lighter blue in the WW2 USN 3-tone scheme) & XF-18 Medium Blue (similar to the USN non-specular sea blue, only lighter with a greyish undertone).

XF-18 & XF-23 are similar to the colours on this (not mine) Avenger:

The modeller used Model Maser paints (ANA 607 Intermediate Blue & ANA 608 N.S. Sea Blue).
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Sky itself is far too green for the colour I'm looking for, which is the one I've ringed in red on this chart.

Of all those patches, the one I want is the one that's most faded and variable (!) but the colour is really about the middle of that patch, and theRAF very rarely used it.

Which is, of course, the reason why I want to...  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I see if I can get a scan of the colour chips that are in most of the Aircraft of the Fighting Powers volumes
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Humbrol's version of RLM76 (Hu247) is pretty close.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

It'll be interesting to see what he makes of the spinner size/parallel engine nacelle issue that's prominent in other threads there.

Regards
Kit

jcf

The Tamiya Gloss acrylic colours like X14 Sky Blue don't match up with any official
paint standards, they're just generic colours with generic names.

I've seen X-14 used by car modellers to represent one of the various shades of
French Blue.

PR19_Kit

So it seems.

It's a pity they chose to use a name that DID have an 'official' meaning. :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Have you tried this to match up the paint you want/need Kit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I've got that link Alastair, yes, but not dug into deeply enough yet.

It's a HUGE chart and it takes ages to scan all through it.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hopefully I've solved the paint problem.

I've ordered a Hataka Italian WWII paint kit, primarily for my 'Captured' S.77 model, but the set also includes Luftwaffe Hellblau as the Regia used that shade as an underside colour.

With a little mixing that should do the job for the PR5.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2020, 06:33:01 AM

I've ordered a Hataka Italian WWII paint kit, primarily for my 'Captured' S.77 model, but the set also includes Luftwaffe Hellblau as the Regia used that shade as an underside colour.

Yup it's Late War Italian colours, unfortunately the don't do an Early War set with the desert colours. Shame as my Lifecolor set is running down a bit.

As a matter of interest who did you order them from Kit ? I was hoping to get some more sets at Telford direct from them, but .........  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Ah, I didn't there WAS an early war colour scheme, but then my knowledge of  the Regia is woefully inadequate. :(

I got mine from a crowd called G Force Models in Wisbech, who seem to have decent stocks of the Blue and the Red label paints. They are a bit 1/48 focussed on the kit and accessories front though.  :(

https://www.gforcemodels.co.uk/

Regards
Kit