dh Hornet PR5

Started by PR19_Kit, October 20, 2020, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Sorted.  :thumbsup:

I tried the Hataka 76 straight off and it's not blue enough, so I added a brushful of the Tamiya Sky Blue and, BINGO!

That's pretty well what I was looking for, so another coat or two and I'll gloss it ready for the decals.

I must say that Hataka Blue Line paint is wonderful to use, goes on easily, covers well and doesn't get all huffy about having another coat added right on top. I can see why you're so enthusiastic about them Chris. Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 03:39:11 AM

I must say that Hataka Blue Line paint is wonderful to use, goes on easily, covers well and doesn't get all huffy about having another coat added right on top. I can see why you're so enthusiastic about them Chris. Thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:

Glad to be of assistance sir, us oldies must stick together  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 03:39:11 AM

Now I know my eyesight can be a bit iffy, but every time I look at that image the first thing I "see", if only for a split second or so is an aircraft with twin cockpits (the undercarriage wells) and four engine pods (the drop tanks). I do have a doctors appointment next week so another issue to raise ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Hehehe, I'll turn it the right way up for you next time Chris.

On the other hand, I could build my other Hornet JUST like you 'see' this one.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 07:18:19 AM
Hehehe, I'll turn it the right way up for you next time Chris.

On the other hand, I could build my other Hornet JUST like you 'see' this one.  ;)

Inspiration for Tophe maybe  ;) ;D

PR19_Kit

Just for you Chris, here's the top view.  ;D

It's all glossed up now and ready for decals, but I've got to print them first....

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Thank you Kit, my brain "saw" that as it was intended  ;)

Old Wombat

Mind you, it looks more like a 2D image or cardboard cut out than a real 3D thing. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

It's VERY 3D, most of it putty.............

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Outstanding thus far considering the difficulties!

Dizzyfugu

Cool, and elegant. Just the tanks' pylons look a bit odd, as if they were protruding?  :o

PR19_Kit

They are, and the real ones did as well.

It's a very odd arrangement and I can't think why they did it like that.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The 100 gal tanks did, but the 200 gal ones didn't. I pretty sure the tanks Kit is using are 100 Gal tanks. Some years ago I had written to the DH Museum asking for information for 100 and 200 gal tanks for both the Mosquito and Hornet. I received a bunch of photos from them and I was able to reproduce 200 gal tanks for both aircraft in 1/72 scale.

From the info I got from the DH Museum, I created these before anything was available. The small one is the 100 Gal tank, and after the newer Hornet kits started adding the 100 Gal tanks I bought a couple of them just to see how I managed and what I made matched the kit tanks. The larger tank is the 200 Gal tank. I've come across only one photo of a Hornet with 200 Gal tanks like these on it. Now I've got to find where I've seen it ---

The photo I posted of the Hornet I'm building is further up the thread (reply #17 or 18), and it has a couple of the 200 Gal tanks on it.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Oh rats, my backstory will have to have a re-write then. I didn't know there were two sizes of tank, and only the 200 gall ones are mentioned in most places. But most of the pics seem to be of the 100 gall versions, complete with the sticky out bits.

But why WERE they sticky out in the first place? Was it a CG issue?

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yes, a lot of the 3-Views I've seen say that they're 200 Gal, but calculating the tank volume, it doesn't work out correct. They're 100 Gal tanks. And as you say, most references have dozens of photos showing the smaller tanks which were used operationally, but the reference I have for the 200 Gal tank is that it was used for ferry flights only. Or it could be for PR flights  ;)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike