Scissors for vacform canopies

Started by chrisonord, October 22, 2020, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Try any branch of Boots, the larger the better, and search under 'Nails'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have  been on Ebay and got myself a  pair of sharp surgical scissors, they were  quite  inexpensive, £2.85p and free postage, so hopefully they will be  ok. If they get blunt I  have several different  diamond files for sharpening fishing hooks that should do to resharpen them.  The doctors  farce  is another thing, I  shall be  speaking to my doctor about  that.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Sharpening fishing hooks? Really? I didn't know that was possible.

Respect!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2020, 04:04:34 PM

Respect!

Of course it is possible.  Anything once sharp can be sharped again.  All that is required is skill and patience.  I once learned how to resharpen drill bits in a previous life...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

I have a gadget to resharpen drill bits.  I've never used it - i'm far too lazy.
I will however take the time to sharpen my chain saw.  Which is surprising as it's even more tedious than sharpening drill bits.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Yes I  only  resharpen large  hooks on lures  and pike flies  or the occasional  sea fishing  hook. Big treble hooks on lures can  dull easily if getting  dragged across  gravel or rocky  bottoms.  I have a  flat diamond file  and a couple with  v shaped  notches in that you  slide  the pointy bit up and  down on they are also  useful for  smoothing down the barbs properly as i crush the  barbs down on all my lures.
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on October 26, 2020, 01:12:56 PM
they were  quite  inexpensive, £2.85p and free postage,
Chris

I've bought a couple of things recently which were around that price and included free postage. I'm still trying to work out how they can do it knowing the cost of postage ?  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: rickshaw on October 27, 2020, 03:17:41 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2020, 04:04:34 PM

Respect!

Of course it is possible.  Anything once sharp can be sharped again.  All that is required is skill and patience.  I once learned how to resharpen drill bits in a previous life...

Re-sharpening drill bits was a requisite in my apprenticed trade, steel fabricator/welder. Here's a little tip on how to do it, get any two hexagonal nuts of the same size, hold them together by placing a flat side against one another (the sides you place your wrench/spanner on), the flat sides above or below make an angle which just happens to be the angle you need on the bit end. Then just make sure the trailing edge is slightly lower than the cutting edge when you grind the bit tip which you do by slowly rotating the bit against the grinding wheel. But don't get the grinded edge too hot, keep dipping it in water. If it goes dark blue you've over heated it and softened the cutting edge metal, if it goes red, throw the bit away ----   
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 27, 2020, 07:16:21 AM
But don't get the grinded edge too hot, keep dipping it in water. If it goes dark blue you've over heated it and softened the cutting edge metal, if it goes red, throw the bit away ----

Ah the art of tempering and hardening tool steels, learnt how to do it at school and the sequence of colours was an O Level question. Haven't used the info since  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on October 27, 2020, 03:17:41 AM

I did that too, but I can only just SEE a fishing hook, let alone sharpen one!

Regards
Kit

Rheged

I asked about ultra-sharp scissors when I was in the chemist in Leominster this morning.  Pharmacist thought the question was perfectly sensible and recommended some "surgical quality" nail scissors at £3.50 a pair.  He uses them for making fishing flies.  He also suggests chatting to any surgery's practice nurse(s) as they usually have surplus used ones; in his view a donation to their favourite charity can secure several pairs.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

chrisonord

I have 2 pairs of miniature  shears  that I used for fly tying, they were sold as bonsai tree snips  on Ebay, but I found them most useful for  making  water vole shaped flies for fishing for Pike and chub, smaller versions took Perch too. The shears are  not up to cutting  the vacform canopy of the  t.188 though.
Chris

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 27, 2020, 07:07:44 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on October 26, 2020, 01:12:56 PM
they were  quite  inexpensive, £2.85p and free postage,
Chris

I've bought a couple of things recently which were around that price and included free postage. I'm still trying to work out how they can do it knowing the cost of postage ?  :unsure:

They'll post so many items a year the Post Office will have given them a deal.  Plus the items probly only cost them pennys as they will be made by children in squalid conditions.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 28, 2020, 03:45:23 AM

They'll post so many items a year the Post Office will have given them a deal. 

I didn't know that

Quote from: zenrat on October 28, 2020, 03:45:23 AM
Plus the items probly only cost them pennys as they will be made by children in squalid conditions.

Unfortunately true