Scissors for vacform canopies

Started by chrisonord, October 22, 2020, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on October 27, 2020, 08:36:38 AM
He also suggests chatting to any surgery's practice nurse(s) as they usually have surplus used ones; in his view a donation to their favourite charity can secure several pairs.

Next time I see Maggie  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Back to the drawing board with the scissors.
I got the ones from Ebay  and just tried them.  They are  ridiculously  blunt :banghead:
They even struggled to cut paper towel, so the description for them is a total lie. Time to look  for some  alternative  ones. :angry:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

That's the problem with E-Bay Chris. Quite often if the price looks to good, it is to good  :angry:

Probably not even a good enough quality of steel to even get them sharpened either
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Probably has Made in China stamped on it too ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

chrisonord

The seller messaged me back and is sending me a  replacement pair. Fingers crossed that they have an edge on them. The  vacform canopies on the T.188 are quite  thick compared to  other canopies I  have had hold of, that won't help matters either.  I might  attempt to  sharpen these  blunt ones with my  diamond file  and see  what happens, won't lose anything  either way.
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on November 03, 2020, 07:17:41 AM
The seller messaged me back and is sending me a  replacement pair. Fingers crossed that they have an edge on them.

Well that's a plus  :thumbsup:

chrisonord

I have  done what I can  with the T.188 canopy with a pair of  curved  nail scissors, not a pristine job by any means, but I  cut it to the lines.  Ish. I  glued the  canopy on and  ended up using  super glue on it as the  glue and glaze  wouldn't hold it in place.  It look terrible to be honest and I am  disappointed in it, as the canopy doesn't fit right.  Bugger.
Chris

NARSES2

PR19_Kit

Is that the Maintrack 188 kit you're doing Chris?

If so I've got a pristine one, and I wonder if we could clone the canopy somehow?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2020, 06:25:52 AM
Is that the Maintrack 188 kit you're doing Chris?

If so I've got a pristine one, and I wonder if we could clone the canopy somehow?
Its the Olimp  one Kit, I  really shouldn't be  let near any  kits with vacform canopies, as I am  cursed with  them.  Crappy scissors  just  add fuel to the fire.

PR19_Kit

Cooer, that one's got a reputation for being very accurate.  :thumbsup:

But as the Maintrack 188 was mastered by Mr. Vacform, Gordon Stevens, I expect it's just as accurate. I'll write myself a note to see if we can clone thecanopy of mine, just in case.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 05, 2020, 02:17:09 PM
Cooer, that one's got a reputation for being very accurate.  :thumbsup:

But as the Maintrack 188 was mastered by Mr. Vacform, Gordon Stevens, I expect it's just as accurate. I'll write myself a note to see if we can clone thecanopy of mine, just in case.
Hmm? It needed a lot of  work especially on the engine pods  to make the parts line up, the exhaust nozzles and  intakes  needed sanding  down  all way round  a lot as they were considerably  bigger in diameter  to the rest of the engine.  The canopy  needed to  be held in several places  just for it to meet up with the  edge of the fuselage, it kept  springing  out, hence the use of  super glue.  I  have put it to one side now while I think of what to do with it . It is definitely a challenging and  weird shape for a canopy  that's for sure.  I think  a multi piece  injection  canopy would  work  better.
Chris