Sd.Kfz 251 in Allied Service. Finished pics page 6.

Started by zenrat, November 01, 2020, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

The gun barrel could have been one piece .

At least they didn't model the individual nuts and bolts

NARSES2

Thanks for that Fred  :thumbsup:

I may look for armour with link and length tracks and give it a go. Maybe a Christmas present to myself ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

with the breech I know from experience the Tamiya 25lber can be built so that the block moves in the breech, perhaps for the same effect ?  :unsure:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

jcf

Waiting for a build of the 2pdr from one of those crazy Japanese modellers who accurize
everything and make all the movable bits movable, no doubt the block will move when
the breech operating lever is moved.
:wacko:

buzzbomb

Ahh Fred, the modern Military Vehicle/Gun kit is becoming a mini competition around the parts count. Must have a box with contains x hundred parts printed on the lid. I too agree that the need to create a scale replica of the real thing is sometimes a little over the top.

The sliding breach is a common feature really across many AT gun/Artillery kits, the venerable Tamiya 25 Pounder and 6 Pounder both had the same feature. Just offers some posability
The Vulcan 2 Pounder is a little gem (of course appearing after I had purchased the Sovereign Resin kit) and well worth the effort. Those tiny assemblies do really pop under paint.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 07, 2020, 06:31:44 AM
Thanks for that Fred  :thumbsup:

I may look for armour with link and length tracks and give it a go. Maybe a Christmas present to myself ?  ;)

Try a Tamiya 1/48 kit.  No interior detail and link & length tracks.  The T-55 looks good in the box and the Su-122 builds up nicely.
Don't be tempted by a Hobby Boss 1/48 T-34 if you want simplicity - they still have link & length tracks but combine it with full interior detail.  And I mean full.  There is an engine, crew positions, gun breech etc.

Another million parts glued together today.
Zvezda engineered the body of the half track as a lot of separtsate panels.  The ones I have got together so far have fitted OK but there is adjusting and PSR in my future.  Location of the lower sides
was not positive and I have to test fit other parts to confirm fore and aft placement.  Although this could have been due to me leaving a heap of parts out (seats, back rests, storage etc) so as to make room for the gun.
Sd.Kfx 251 in Alied Service WIP 08-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I want 360ยบ traverse which means either mount the gun high or cut down the sides of the rear body.  I'm going for the cut down.
Here's where the gun is at.  It is looking good and parts fit is very positive so far.  Next stage of to fit the actual gun to the mount and I want to get some paint on it before I do that otherwise there will be hard to reach areas.
QF 2 Pounder WIP 08-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Looking good mate and thanks for the kit tips  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I've been working on the gun some more.  It had to be painted as it went together else there would have been nooks and crannies that would have been impossible to get to.
It's nearly done and then I can scratch up a mount for it and see where to cut down the upper body armour and then get on with the rest of the half track construction.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

For a change, here are some wheels.
Sd.Kfz 251 WIP 22-11-2020 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
I stacked them up on the axles to see how they fitted.  And then upon removal twisted off one of the rear axles as the fit was tight.
D'oh!
That is now gluing and I have painted the tyres.  That's eight double wheels and 12 singles.  All hand painted.  Plus the rubber shock absorbing lumps on the drive wheels at the front.

Fred

NARSES2

Just think....it could be 1/72 ?  ;)

What's the old song ? "Always look on the bright side of ......................" ?

Coming on well mate  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 23, 2020, 06:25:30 AM

That doesn't bare thinking about!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I can't wait until I build the tracks - individual links...
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 24, 2020, 01:21:35 AM

You pulled the kit out of the stash and now you want sympathy  :angel: ;)

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 23, 2020, 06:25:30 AM

What's the old song ? "Always look on the bright side of ......................" ?

Well, if 1:72 scares you, there are aftermarket sets available with full tracks and wheels cast in massive resin. Still painful to paint, though.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2020, 06:12:36 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 24, 2020, 01:21:35 AM

You pulled the kit out of the stash and now you want sympathy  :angel: ;)

No.  Understanding...

;D
Fred