Sd.Kfz 251 in Allied Service. Finished pics page 6.

Started by zenrat, November 01, 2020, 02:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 05, 2021, 04:06:27 AM
That's looking great. BTW, the interior might have been dark grey - material sent to Africa was mostly taken from standard stock on short notice, so that all-grey vehicles were frequent and just camouflaged in desert colors on site, also using Italian paint stocks and even captured British stuff. I doubt that anyone had wasted time to re-paint the interior, but there were certainly late transfers that were alreday painted in appropriate colors at the factories (happened AFAIK with Panzer IIIs).

Lucky its not a RW build then.   :mellow:

Thanks Dizz.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

Day off today so I got to add the second colour (Dark Green) of the Caunter Scheme and test the third (sources say Silver Grey but the Silver Grey I have looks nothing like references so I used what looks close - IAF/IDF Green).

Sd.Kfz 251 in Allied Service WIP 08-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

AIUT the Silver Gey is the contentious colour in Caunter Schemes.  The one Bovington mistook for blue.  Previous builds I used USAF Light Grey but this time I chose something closer to the three views I found on line.
One day i'll do a build and paint it with a blue Caunter.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 09, 2021, 04:44:11 AM
Really nice paint work, Fred! :thumbsup:

'Tis indeed.

I can see that scheme totally throwing any ground strafing pilot attacking from the rear.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

This is coming along very nicely indeed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

tigercat

It reminds me of something maybe Naval camouflage

buzzbomb

Fred, dabbling with the Caunter scheme is sometimes a challenge, so well done. Been a fan of the Caunter scheme and have quite a few RW subjects daubed as such.
Whilst the colours might not be exactly to Mike Starmer specs, they are working. :thumbsup:

This build is working out just fine and looks quite striking

Martin H

Quote from: buzzbomb on January 09, 2021, 03:15:57 PM
Whilst the colours might not be exactly to Mike Starmer specs, they are working. :thumbsup:
IM likeing the look of this build  :thumbsup:

I know Mike moderately well, he lives around ten miles away from me. He truly knows his stuff.

I got to know him when I tagged along with my dad on a visit to Mikes place, The old man was buying a load of British army decals off Mike. I got a tour of his study/library/workshop. His model collection even had a few very discrete whiffs. (mostly older builds using incorrect shades that later reseach corrected)
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Looking good, and it's a highly credible whiff.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Glad you all like it so far.
Today I mostly did the touch ups, put a Portland to tie the colours together more, and added the air recognition marking.

Sd.Kfz 251 in Allied Service WIP 10-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Yes, IRL it would have probly been a white star, but I followed the precedent I set with my BA3.

BA3 Armoured Car012 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

Old Wombat

Actually, in the period the Caunter scheme was used (or shortly thereafter) the air recognition symbol was, usually a yellow ringed roundel similar to the RAF Type A.2 roundel

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

My Google-fu sucks, right now, & I can't find any photo's of the real things ... Not a problem when I'm not looking for them! :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 10, 2021, 04:59:46 AM

My Google-fu sucks, right now, & I can't find any photo's of the real things ... Not a problem when I'm not looking for them! :banghead:

Ain't it always the way?
It applies when you're looking through the spares parts bin, too... :banghead:

zenrat

They'd run out of yellow paint at the depot.  It had all been borrowed by the navy to paint submarines.

Not much time today but I did weather the roundel.

Sd.Kfz 251 in Allied Service WIP 11-01-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred