Thinking tanks

Started by PR19_Kit, November 08, 2020, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 07, 2020, 06:19:52 AM

Every time I look at the title of this thread the idea of a Dalek like vehicle crosses my mind  :banghead:

Looking at a front view of a Challie 2 I'm not surprised!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Or a BOLO.

Or any other autonomous, self-aware AI tank you may conjure up.

;) :angel: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I like that Swedish one with the gun fixed to the chassis, and to elevate the gun they raised and lowered the height of the tracks!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

BLOODY tank kits!  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Some of the bits on this blasted Challenger 2 are SO small, and so awkwardly shaped that you can't grab hold of them cleanly enough to put them in place for gluing!

I've just been trying to glue the headlamp brackets onto the front panel of this thing and my tweezers have fired one of them into orbit. NO way will I ever find it, so this Challenger's going to have into go into battle with only one headlamp, or maybe none if the same thing happens to the other bracket as well!

This may well be the first AND last tank kit I ever build.  :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Build more armour kits, Kit, that way you get used to their foibles ... I had to with aircraft. ;)

PR19_Kit

Checking lots of pics on the net, it looks as if some Challies didn't carry the lights sometimes, but I haven't found any pics of one with only ONE headlamp. So I may not fit either of them............

It looks like there'll be LOADS of small bits left over once I've finished it, so I'm wondering what all the other bits are for.  :-\

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Put up a pic & I'll see if I can identify any of them. :thumbsup:

Steel Penguin

I can try to help on parts as well Kit, if push comes to shove ill break out my copy of it and have a look at the distructions  :o
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Here's how far I've got so far.

All the wheels and stuff down below are painted up and in place now, and the turret is primed and painted in the basic green.

I've got all the gubbins installed on the rear end now too, except the tail light lenses as I need to hand paint them. Some of the bits, the big fuel tanks for two, just WON'T fit where they're meant to, they're a little bit crooked, but I can't get them to fit any better. I noticed one bit where the green spray hasn't reached though, arrowed on red. :(

The turret was a PAIN to paint as I had to mask  off all the umpteen little periscope lenses first, and they're TINY! Quite how I'll get the tape off later I'm not sure, but we'll see.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

with the periscope lenses, one option is to use a high gloss royal blue with a touch of a sky blue at the top to give the impression of glass..   a version of which  here http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=17590.25   similar to some of the painter cockpit canopy's people do
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Oooooh, that's a clever idea, never seen that before.

I may give that a try if any of them have been oversprayed, thanks.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I'm putting the Challie 2 on the back burner for a bit.

All the teeny weeny bits are driving me NUTS, and I want to get the KMD-11 and the SM-77 under my belt before I get back to this tank business.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

An idea for a replacement "brush guard" for your lights that dissapered into the great beyone. Make a replacement out of wire using the mounting holes and the other guard as a basis for what your building.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It wasn't the guard that's gone into orbit Alastair, it was the mounting itself.

It's an odd tri-angular shaped thingie with all sorts of bits and bumps on the back of it. I suppose I could scratchbuild another one, but it would be even fiddlier than gluing the original into place. :(

Regards
Kit