Thinking tanks

Started by PR19_Kit, November 08, 2020, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: Martin H on November 08, 2020, 11:28:05 AM
As I understand it the interior layout of the Chally 2 is classed as secret.
Members of the public can see it but they wont be allowed to take photos. I'm sure we have certain bits of kit that we dont want our friends to know about let alone any potential enermy.

That would be the Boiling Vessel. If our enemies knew how badly our troops rely on those we'd be really stuffed..  ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_vessel

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 03:11:25 PM

That would be the Boiling Vessel. If our enemies knew how badly our troops rely on those we'd be really stuffed..  ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_vessel

Note that it's SO secret that the Wiki entry doesn't include a pic of one! But I can reveal what one looks like.  ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

You read my mind Nick LOL

I like the way that wiki page mentions that a faulty BV mean the whole vehicle is declared U/S. How very British Forces  :thumbsup:
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 08, 2020, 03:05:21 PM
Hmm, it seems the biggest problem with the Rye Field Challenger is finding someone who's actually got one in stock. Amazon reckon they have of course, but I'm not paying THAT much!  :o

September was when it was supposed to be released, but with everything going on,
who knows.

Old Wombat

As an armour builder by preference, I generally avoid interior detail in modern tank kits, as there aren't a lot of opening hatches & those that do are relatively small.

APC's are another matter, as are many WW1 & WW2 tanks, many of which have vast open spaces inside which are easily seen through the numerous large hatches.

Still, even then, if you don't model them opened up, there's usually no need for all the internal gubbins.

In 1/35:

I haven't built a Rye Field kit, so I have no opinion but a look at photo's of the sprues shows the slat armour is done in styrene, not PE, & that is a good thing! However, it also has workable track links, which means you have to build each & every one of the 200-odd links.

Tamiya kits are good to build & are about a third cheaper than the Rye Field kits (in Australia, anyway) but almost twice the price of a Trumpeter kit.

Trumpeter kits can be a bit of an effort to get to fit just right &, according to the armour rivet counters, often have accuracy issues (But, then, doesn't every kit? :unsure:).

Neither the Tamiya or Trumpy kits come with slat armour, so an after-market PE set is your only option there, IF you really feel the need for it.

In 1/48:

Academy do a Chally 1 (but no Chally 2) in this scale. I've no idea how that would build up (Academy can be more challenging than Trumpeter).

In 1/72:

Seriously, unless you really want a tiny build, I can't see the point.

Trumpeter do a Challenger 1 & a 2, & Revell do/did a Challenger 1 in this scale but they cost about the same as Academy's 1/48 version.

The problem for you, Kit, is you've spent a lifetime developing a knowledge base about aircraft kits but nothing about armour kits. You know the characteristics of each manufacturer & what you're willing to accept in "issues" for the subject you want to build. You haven't done that for armour.

My suggestion is go for the 1/35 Tamiya kit; sure it's slightly expensive but it goes together well & won't send a novice insane with fiddly little track links.

:cheers:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Here's a 1/72nd Chieftain (Chally's about the same size) on somebody's hand, to give you an idea of how much 'fiddly' you can take:

Bear in mind that AFVs don't have anything like the same requirement for seamless joints and smooth surfaces that planes do, so a lot of the fiddly stuff just sticks straight on, rather than needing extensive fettling to get a perfect joint.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 08, 2020, 03:05:21 PM
Hmm, it seems the biggest problem with the Rye Field Challenger is finding someone who's actually got one in stock. Amazon reckon they have of course, but I'm not paying THAT much!  :o

Try this Kit. expensive yes, but a lovely kit. Just don't get carried away with the accessories as they can easily double the price.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on November 09, 2020, 04:42:53 AM

Try this Kit. expensive yes, but a lovely kit. Just don't get carried away with the accessories as they can easily double the price.

That IS the one I was I was trying to find Alastair, but no-one has them in stock as yet.

Quote from: Weaver on November 09, 2020, 03:35:26 AM

Here's a 1/72nd Chieftain (Chally's about the same size) on somebody's hand, to give you an idea of how much 'fiddly' you can take:

Bear in mind that AFVs don't have anything like the same requirement for seamless joints and smooth surfaces that planes do, so a lot of the fiddly stuff just sticks straight on, rather than needing extensive fettling to get a perfect joint.

I see just what you mean H, that looks VERY fiddly in 1/72. But that Berlin Brigade camo looks great, just how I'd paint one. I was wondering about how you PSR a tank kit, but it seems it may not be anywhere near as common as it is with aircraft kits, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 09, 2020, 01:34:10 AM

The problem for you, Kit, is you've spent a lifetime developing a knowledge base about aircraft kits but nothing about armour kits. You know the characteristics of each manufacturer & what you're willing to accept in "issues" for the subject you want to build. You haven't done that for armour.

My suggestion is go for the 1/35 Tamiya kit; sure it's slightly expensive but it goes together well & won't send a novice insane with fiddly little track links.

Sage advice Womby, thanks.  :thumbsup:

I've taken a look at the Tamiya Challenger instructions, and it looks complicated enough for me, never mind making up all 200 track links! I think that's put me off the Rye Field one for sure.  :o

I note that Airfix do one as well, but that seems to be a Trumpeter kit in disguise. :(

In general, thanks VERY much for all the advice, I'm WELL out of my depth here, but I think I'll give it a go with a Tamiya 1/35 kit. Don't expect it to show up on here before Christmas.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Tank models - even those in bigger scale - from my experience rarely require much PSR, due to their construction.

BTW, there's also the Takom offering in 1:72, a double combo (it is rumored to contain a version for/from "The Walking Dead", a.k.a. "The Zombie Tank"?):

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 05:02:05 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 09, 2020, 04:42:53 AM

That IS the one I was I was trying to find Alastair, but no-one has them in stock as yet.

Actually they do Kit

https://www.modelsforsale.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=900709-Rye-Field-1/35-5039-British-Challenger-II-TES&utm_source=scalemates&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=marketplace

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/takom-5006-chieftain-mk-10-chieftain-mk-11-tank-1-72-plastic-model-tank-kit/

If you scrolled down on the Scalemates page to where the Sub Headding is Marketplace it shows where they know have them, or not. Just klick on the name of the company to go to their web site.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

PR19_Kit

I tried a couple of them, and found the kits were 'On back order', which they didn't tell you on their main pages. :(

I've gone for the Tamiya one now, I really DIDN'T want to spend a month or two making a set of tracks!

Maybe when I've got some more experience at these funny wing-less things......  ;D

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 09:51:55 AM
I tried a couple of them, and found the kits were 'On back order', which they didn't tell you on their main pages. :(

I've gone for the Tamiya one now, I really DIDN'T want to spend a month or two making a set of tracks!

Maybe when I've got some more experience at these funny wing-less things......  ;D

Will you at least put a LONGER gun on it?   ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on November 09, 2020, 10:10:59 AM

Now there's an idea.  :thumbsup:

I'll find SOMETHING to change apart from the colour scheme, that's for sure.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 09, 2020, 10:38:38 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on November 09, 2020, 10:10:59 AM

Now there's an idea.  :thumbsup:

I'll find SOMETHING to change apart from the colour scheme, that's for sure.  ;)

There are some "paper projects" in armour which you can buy, so lengthening the vehicle or fitting a larger gun are not out of the question. Dragon do various German Late WWII tanks of the "E" series which could also be modified further as well.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

My Tamiya Challenger 2 Desertised having actually arrived, I was suitably BOGGLED on opening the box at the VAST number of parts involved in building the thing.  :o

I hadn't actually taken in how many there were while reading the downloaded instructions I'd got the other day, but there's ZILLIONS of them!

Here's the mandatory box lid pic, all very impressive and menacing I think you'll agree.

And here's all the sprues, plus the odds and ends like tracks, decals and bits of cable and string, for goodness sake! There's also a couple of nuts and bolts, which I wondered at, but I know where they go now....

Those of you how know about these things will notice that some parts (like the main hull!) are missing from the sprue shot. That's because I was sorely tempted and I've already started to build the thing.............

Here's the main hull with it's bulgy things on the back (I think it's the back, that's the right hand end of the pic, yes?) the screw on sticky out things at the front (Why are they screwed on?) and more, very fragile looking sticky out things in the middle.

And that's part 1 of the 29 part instructions sheet sorted.

One thing worries me (actually LOTS of things worry me about it....) when am I supposed tp paint the various bits, as many of them will be hidden inside other bits added later on? Or don't tank modellers worry about painting bits you can't actually see anyway?

While I'm at it, could you move this thread to 'Current and Finished Projects, Armour' please Chris? As it's reached the dizzy heights of an actual build it doesn't really belong in 'General Chat' any more.

Regards
Kit