Thinking tanks

Started by PR19_Kit, November 08, 2020, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

The Tankograd publication on the Berlin Brigade is well worth getting.  Dozens  of pictures and painting diagrams of the scheme:
https://tankmuseumshop.org/products/tankograd-9001-british-infantry-brigade-berlin

One snippet is that the blocks remained the same size no matter which vehicle they were painted on.  The Ferret and the Chieftain's blocks are the same size.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 18, 2020, 03:38:25 PM
All I've got to now is paint all the wheels, all sixteen of them............... :(

Spray them black, and then come back and paint the wheels, it's generally easier than
painting the tires after painting the wheels.

PR19_Kit

I've managed to prime half the wheels so far, but work on the Challie will come to a halt for a week as I came home this weekend and the Challie is at my 'country home'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 20, 2020, 12:17:25 PM
... the Challie is at my 'country home'.

Well la-de-da, aren't we special. So nice of you to deign to speak to the plebs. 😉

PR19_Kit

Actually it's where I've been looking after a couple of vulnerable friends during the virus crisis, over in Northants.

And I come back home for a few days every month just to ensure it's still standing......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 20, 2020, 11:15:45 AM
All I've got to now is paint all the wheels, all sixteen of them............... :(

Spray them black, and then come back and paint the wheels, it's generally easier than

I tend to do it the other way.  But then I don't build that many tanks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

How's the bathroom Kit, last we heard it had a hole in it?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

It's still got a hole, yes. And it's unlikely to be fixed in the near future as I'm just not here long enough to sort things out.

But the kitalanche that happened last time I was at home has now depleted somewhat, but sadly revealed a few kits that are now rather 'slimmer' than their manufacturers intended. :(

For instance, I used to have a nice vacform Broplan Piper Navaho, now it's a rather flat pile of white styrene.....

I could go on, but I might cry :(

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on November 21, 2020, 01:44:56 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 20, 2020, 11:15:45 AM

I tend to do it the other way.  But then I don't build that many tanks.

Me too. Lots of toothpicks can do wonders, too - one for each wheel, but rotating the wheel on such an axis and painting the rims with a sibgle, fluid motion makes work less complicated - but it's till tedious, esp. when you have to do LOTS of wheels...  :-\

PR19_Kit

The 'toothpicks per wheel' technique is one I always use for aircraft wheels, both 1/72 and 1/144, but I don't think it will work for the Challie.

The diameter of the axle is quite a bit larger than a toothpick, but a chunk of sprue might work if I can find a bit the right size.

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Files & sandpaper work there, Kit. Although I, more often than not, fill the axle hole with liquid mask & prop a toothpick or skewer in the liquid mask & wait for it to dry/cure/whatever. ;)

I'm a proponent of the paint the wheel colour then paint the rubber method. Both work. Neither is perfect.

I find wheel painting masks to be more trouble than they're worth.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Steel Penguin

I will add to the road wheel on a bit of sprue, I whittle down the bit with a blade. 
and (hopefully) making things easier, the Berlin Chieftains had all black roadwheels,  so it may not be as much work  :-\
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on November 21, 2020, 10:43:30 AM

I will add to the road wheel on a bit of sprue, I whittle down the bit with a blade. 
and (hopefully) making things easier, the Berlin Chieftains had all black roadwheels,  so it may not be as much work  :-\

Magic, I'm glad my idea's been corroborated by someone MUCH more expert in the field, thanks very much.  :thumbsup:

I hadn't noticed about the Berlin Chieftain's wheels before, so thanks for that too. I CERTAINLY didn't notice them when  I was there, I was just boggled about seeing an MBT rolling down a main street!  :o

Interestingly the 'Streetfighter II' Challie variant seems to have sandy colkoured wheels (either that or mud...) so maybe they just used the kit wheels when they built them.....  ;D

I think I'll do mine black, which will DEFINITELY make it a Whiff.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2020, 12:38:53 PM

Interestingly the 'Streetfighter II' Challie variant seems to have sandy colkoured wheels (either that or mud...) so maybe they just used the kit wheels when they built them.....  ;D

I think I'll do mine black, which will DEFINITELY make it a Whiff.  ;D

That's mud

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2020, 08:50:56 AM
The 'toothpicks per wheel' technique is one I always use for aircraft wheels, both 1/72 and 1/144, but I don't think it will work for the Challie.

The diameter of the axle is quite a bit larger than a toothpick, but a chunk of sprue might work if I can find a bit the right size.

In continental Europe, thanks to the proximity to slawic kitchens, there's the bigger alternative of shashlik skewers, made from wood. Great for small wheels of all sorts, maybe 8" long and 3mm wide.  ;D