Thinking tanks

Started by PR19_Kit, November 08, 2020, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Wooden kebab skewers are available here in the supermarkets.  Very useful, I've been through several packets and rarely used them for kebabs!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 23, 2020, 12:29:09 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 21, 2020, 08:50:56 AM
The 'toothpicks per wheel' technique is one I always use for aircraft wheels, both 1/72 and 1/144, but I don't think it will work for the Challie.

The diameter of the axle is quite a bit larger than a toothpick, but a chunk of sprue might work if I can find a bit the right size.

In continental Europe, thanks to the proximity to slawic kitchens, there's the bigger alternative of shashlik skewers, made from wood. Great for small wheels of all sorts, maybe 8" long and 3mm wide.  ;D

Quote from: Mossie on November 23, 2020, 02:18:12 AM
Wooden kebab skewers are available here in the supermarkets.  Very useful, I've been through several packets and rarely used them for kebabs!

Third the recommendation for kebab skewers (wood or bamboo) for painting wheels
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 21, 2020, 09:42:25 AM

I find wheel painting masks to be more trouble than they're worth.

I'll agree with you there Womby.

On aircraft wheels, I paint the hubs first and then normally you can "flow" very diluted "tyre colour" around the engraving that marks the ring of the hub  :thumbsup: The diluted paint wheels leave the inner part of the tyre filled in and you just have to do the rest.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

In addition to that, I often dry brush the inner ring the appropriate colour to tidy it up.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

The Challie's wheels will be BLACK, all over.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

I've done it both ways, but I've found paint'em all black and come back and paint
the wheels is less fiddly than the 'flow the paint on the tire' method which is more
time consuming. Plus it's easier to touch up black than it is the main vehicle colour.

I don't use wheel masks as I brush paint the wheels with thinned coats, the
flat-black primer equals instant shading

buzzbomb

Here is a method I use nearly all the time, when the wheels are still off.
This method does really only work with an airbrush.
Paint the wheels your tyre colour of choice

Go to a $2 or 2 whatever store of choice and buy a circle template. Of course if you want the max sizing choice, an art type store will have them at much higher prices.
Hold the wheel behind the template so only the hub shows through

Spray the colour of the hub to choice

When removed, should be neat as a pin. ;D Even works on return rollers as well.

Mossie

Dizzyfugu

That's neat, at least with an airbrush.  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Both handy ideas, yes, and would work with Halfords spray cans as well.

I think an overall spray of matt black, then use the template and spray them satin. I'm not sure how well the variable template would work after the 10 th or 12 th coat of varnish though, it may get gummed up.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

You could cover it with cling film or thin plastic bag and push some through the hole.  Then put your part in and close the template around it.

Either that or clean it up immediately afterwards.

Dizzyfugu

...ro revert to the toothpick trick and paint the rubber parts after the base tone.  ;)

PR19_Kit

I'm minded that there's TWENTY of the darn things to paint, so the least work the better as far as I'm concerned................. :(

Regards
Kit

Mossie

That's probably buzzbombs method with the simple circle template.  Although you can't play bond with it...  :angel:

An easy way make your own would be to cut circles out of a thin piece of styrene with compass cutters, if you have some.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit