Thinking tanks

Started by PR19_Kit, November 08, 2020, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Part B65 or B66?

I may have a spare or simmilar part

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Well recognised Alastair!  :thumbsup:

It's B65 that's gone into orbit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

if you still have the guard a small rolled out piece of green stuff or a flexible putty over the guard to act as a non reflective cover would work.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

buzzbomb

Still moving along quite well.

Don't sweat the small stuff though, what you have done as a "non-armour builder" is quite fine. What you are planning to do with the colour scheme will make it all seem worthwhile when it just pops.

Although, you cannot use that "non-armour builder" excuse ever again of course  ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: buzzbomb on December 27, 2020, 01:40:27 PM

Although, you cannot use that "non-armour builder" excuse ever again of course  ;)

Hehehehe, I was going to save that up.  ;D

Glad you like it though, even if I haven't a CLUE what I'm really doing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2020, 02:22:39 PM
... even if I haven't a CLUE what I'm really doing.

I still feel that way building aircraft but even more-so when building cars! :o

But I certainly can't use the "non-aircraft" or "non-car" builder moniker any more, worst luck! :-\

I wonder if I can use the "non-ship" builder title, though? I've built a couple of boats but haven't finished any ships, yet. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Steel Penguin on December 26, 2020, 12:02:40 PM
with the periscope lenses, one option is to use a high gloss royal blue with a touch of a sky blue at the top to give the impression of glass..   a version of which  here http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=17590.25   similar to some of the painter cockpit canopy's people do

Another trick that works wonders on lenses at largers scales - at least when you have a flat surface - is thin, metallized PET foil, you get the stuff in DIY and handcraft stores, also in a rainbow color print, like this here:

Can be easily cut with a sharp knife or scissors, die-punching works for round bits, and can be glued into place with simple white glue. The reflection effect is just great, real eye-catcher on a model.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2020, 10:36:25 AM

It was easy enough to find out, look at Scalemates web site for the kit which had a downloadable version of the instructions, add that to your discription and "bingo!"
Unfortunatly they went and changed the light guard assembly between the Challenger Mk.1 and Mk.II so I don't have a replacement part.  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on December 28, 2020, 04:39:24 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 27, 2020, 10:36:25 AM

It was easy enough to find out, look at Scalemates web site for the kit which had a downloadable version of the instructions, add that to your discription and "bingo!"
Unfortunatly they went and changed the light guard assembly between the Challenger Mk.1 and Mk.II so I don't have a replacement part.  :banghead:

Gondor

Kit's second law applies:-   Field maintenance problems in Berlin resulted in some Mk 1 spares being installed on Mk 2 tanks.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

AFAIK the headlamps don't have any guards, they're just stuck there on the front panel, supported by the bracket thingies.

The tail lamps have some hefty wire-like guards, which are still on the sprue, hopefully.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

There is a level, reached all too easily IMO, of detail which is excessive.   Headlights,guards, etc. are amongst those.  I just don't even try and include them on many of my tanks.  Invariably, in real life, a single trip through the bush downunder usually removes them...  ;) ;)

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Scotaidh

Quote from: rickshaw on December 28, 2020, 06:51:27 PM
There is a level, reached all too easily IMO, of detail which is excessive.   Headlights,guards, etc. are amongst those.  I just don't even try and include them on many of my tanks.  Invariably, in real life, a single trip through the bush downunder usually removes them...  ;) ;)

Which is why many repair depots get creative in their replacement - guards especially change from smooth steel round stock to rebar to pipe to strips of flat plate - whatever is handy to weld up.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

Any news here? Just curious...  ;)

PR19_Kit

I paused work on the Challie 2 so I could get the SM-77 done before the dead line.

I'll probably re-start it in a day or so, after I've finished my KMD-11................  ;D

Regards
Kit

SleeperService

Quote from: Rheged on November 08, 2020, 10:13:53 AM
Fortunately, I have access to an interpreter who can convert tankspeak into English.  Rheged minor (he's the one whose Masters thesis was on UK tank procurement and doctrine between the end of the 2nd world war and the fall of the Berlin Wall) understands these things, and commends the Haynes manuals  on the Churchill, Centurion, Challenger 1  and 2 to all Whiffers as a good source of information; a launch pad  from which soaring imaginations may take off.

Is this available to view online at all. As ex-infantry I'm getting a bit of a pasting from a chavalryman who may be a friend. I'd like some ammunition and inspiration for things that might have been. The recent government report has been pretty dismal reading although the Hansard minutes suggest Yes, (Defence Procurement) Minister could be an interesting watch. I assume your have to refer to him as Dr Rheged minor nowadays.  :lol: