Main Menu

RN Admiral's Barge Learjet 35

Started by AeroplaneDriver, November 09, 2020, 01:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

On June 7, 1982 an Argentine Air Force Lear 35A was shot down on a reconnaissance/decoy mission by a Sea Dart SAM fired from HMS Exeter near Pebble Island on the north side of West Falkland...but What If...?

Vice Commodore Rodolfo De La Colina rolled the Lear 35 almost inverted and pulled hard towards the incoming Sea Dart missile.  The business jet was not built like the Mirages and Skyhawks that his comrades were flying in the war, and he hoped the airframe held together as the G-load increased.  He strained to see the missile exhaust plume out his windshield.  His co-pilot had better view and gave a running commentary of their situation.  He could hear the distressed cries from the three reconnaissance officers in the jet's tight cabin a few feet behind him. 

As the missile screamed towards his jet he abruptly rolled in the opposite direction and dove to the ground.  The maneuver worked. The missile passed close off the right side, nothing but a bright streak in his peripheral vision as it screamed past. 

Before he had a chance to even contemplate relief he felt a thud against the airframe.  The missile had detonated behind the Lear, too far past to destroy it, but close enough to send warhead fragments into the business jet.  Now flying well past it's maximum design speed and well into the transonic range Rodolfo felt the jet buffet violently. 

He eased the nose up and pulled the thrust levers aft in an effort to slow the jet.  Passing back through 220 knots indicated airspeed the buffeting became much more gentle.  Still there, but he could at least read his instruments now.  Now low and slow, barely 2,000 feet above the rocky island below he knew he would be pushing it to try to cross the icy ocean to return to base at Comodoro on the mainland.  He looked at the young co-pilot beside him and in an unspoken moment he nodded in agreement.  He turned the aircraft towards Stanley, descending to 200 feet above the terrain, in hopes they could reach safety without encountering more Royal Navy fire on the way and without finding trigger happy conscripts manning AA guns when he got there.

Luck was on their side, and the Learjet rolled to a stop at Stanley airfield 25 excruciatingly slow minutes later.  The crew finally breathed a sigh of relief but realized how lucky they were as they inspected the aircraft and saw the rudder and right elevator shredded like tin foil...

The Lear sat on the apron at Stanley, untouched until it was found by liberating British forces five days later.  It joined a Pucara and three Agusta A109 helicopters in becoming captured war trophies.  Both the RAF and RN wanted the Lear, seeing it as a fast, comfortable Communications aircraft.  In the end the Royal Navy won the battle, on the grounds that it was one of their missiles that had disabled the Learjet in the first place. 

The aircraft was repaired and with a new interior and suitable repaint it entered service with 781 Naval Air Squadron at RNAS Lee On Solent in Spring 1983 where it proved a popular mode of transport among high ranking officers until it was sold to a private company in October 1994. 

Having managed a handful of hours in a Lear 35 back in my Charter days, I was tempted to go the super-detail route on the cockpit and cabin, but common sense prevailed when I realized it would be virtually invisible when the build it complete. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Rheged

Will it be painted as a "Green Parrot"?  https://www.facebook.com/FAAHistory/photos/a.1587366604607789/2126512130693231/  If my memory is accurate (no chance, cries Madame Rheged)  there was once a two seater Hunter in Green Parrot livery.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Rheged on November 09, 2020, 02:13:15 PM
Will it be painted as a "Green Parrot"?  https://www.facebook.com/FAAHistory/photos/a.1587366604607789/2126512130693231/  If my memory is accurate (no chance, cries Madame Rheged)  there was once a two seater Hunter in Green Parrot livery.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the green Hunter.  Quite a few carried the green scheme it seems.  Im torn. Part of my likes it but also Im wondering if a nice subdued Transport Command style scheme with white over grey and a blue cheatline with RN titles might look more subtle.  Or maybe an Admiralty blue tail.  Its a WiP.  The story of the end user may end up changing too...

PR19_Kit

LOVE the back story, from an 'insider' too, so it sounds very authentic.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Rheged on November 09, 2020, 02:13:15 PM

There was a 2-seat Hunter in green and white yes, but it was the singleton T12, intended as a TSR2 trainer, and we all know where that scheme went....

It was XF531, and flew from Farnborough and Boscombe mainly.

The 'Admiral's Barge' Hunter T8s were painted in a similar looking scheme but in blue and white, as with this one.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

That blue Hunter is similar to the scheme I have in mind as a favorite. 

AeroplaneDriver

Decent progress today.  I have to say this thing has a lovely fit for a 40 year old kit. Yes, it has raised panel lines, and yes the interior has more parts than the airframe, but it's actually quite a pleasant build.  At this rate I'll have her done by Wednesday night. 

Anyhoo...here she is with the fuselage together and primed and the wing assembled and dry fitted to the fuselage.  Tomorrow will be crunch time on the paint scheme.  I'm leaning strongly towards white on the bottom and wings with roundel blue on the upper fuselage with the cheat line at the door halves.  Also leaning towards blue tip tanks.   

I have a Model Alliance decal set for 1/72 RN Hunters including the "Admiral's Barge" scheme posted by Kit.  The white outlined roundels will look good I think along with white "Royal Navy" markings form one of my various 1/48 RN sheets.  I'm thinking the "Royal Navy" above the window line, with roundels on the engine nacelles. Perhaps a small Union Flag or Ensign on the tail.  Also thinking of naming her...."Evita" in white under the left windshield. 

Old Wombat

"Don't Cry for Me, Marge & Tina!" :wacko:

I'd link to the YouTube clip but, unfortunately, the BBC has blocked it on copyright grounds. :angry:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on November 10, 2020, 12:43:10 AM

I'd link to the YouTube clip but, unfortunately, the BBC has blocked it on copyright grounds. :angry:

How stupid is that? And these are the clowns who want me to pay for a TV licence that was free for me until recently, AND I can't watch it anyway because it's 120 miles away!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 10, 2020, 04:18:16 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on November 10, 2020, 12:43:10 AM

How stupid is that? And these are the clowns who want me to pay for a TV licence that was free for me until recently, AND I can't watch it anyway because it's 120 miles away!  :banghead:

There you are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV3x5BYQZfk

And now I'm listening to Jim Berry and Paul Johnston ... "Pie Ella" to start and off down the rabbit hole ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Nope, sorry, mate, but that's not a patch on The Goodies version. :rolleyes:

AeroplaneDriver

Made some good progress today.  Hopefully I'll finish it up tomorrow.  I went with the blue over white.  I wasn't entirely sold on it, but as with decals going on it's growing on me. 

Old Wombat

PR19_Kit

VERY smart indeed, as befits an Admiral's Barge.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2020, 03:33:07 AM
VERY smart indeed, as befits an Admiral's Barge.  :thumbsup:

Agree wholeheartedly!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.