New Westland Secret Projects book available 29/4/24

Started by Weaver, November 10, 2020, 06:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

What happens if they want to go further than the AH-1Z?

Does it go to the AH1-AA? Or the AH1-ZA?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 11, 2020, 10:59:10 AM

As to FARA replacing some of the AH-64, here's a classic example of modern military gobbledygook:
Quote"The FARA and its ecosystem is really our penetration force in the lower tier of the air domain.
That force is going to be able to find, fix and finish pacing threats," says Brigadier General Walter Rugen,
Director of the Army's Future Vertical Lift Cross-Functional Team. "We'll generate the ability for other
players across the joint force to maneuver in that freed-up airspace. Then we'll start disintegrating
[the enemy forces] and open up a corridor."

"And really, I don't think Apache participates in the penetration phase. I think FARA and the FARA
ecosystem does that... If we've generated that joint force freedom of maneuver and our heavy attack
assets are moving forward, which includes the Apache, we're winning."

FARA ecosystem, oh brother.  :rolleyes: :o ;D

This is what I gave up trying to wrap my brain around. The original configurations list from 2009 had JMR-Light replacing the Kiowa and JMR-Medium replacing th Blackhawk and Apache. JMR-Light was implemented as FARA, with submissions looking like "light" gunships, but when JMR-medium was implemented as FLRAA, all the submissions were transport types and the Apache-replacement requirement seemed to have vanished. What's not clear to me is whether FLRAA is going to move on to Apache-replacement on a later timescale or whether it's been dropped and that requirement's going to be addressed some other way.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2020, 11:19:03 AM

That's actually an interesting question Kit. 

Mind you at least with the RAF's use of numbers you don't run out, mind you I still think it we should have stuck with Roman numerals  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 12, 2020, 06:34:35 AM

That's actually an interesting question Kit. 

Mind you at least with the RAF's use of numbers you don't run out, mind you I still think it we should have stuck with Roman numerals  :angel:

Roll on the Spitfire FG LXXVIV then.  ;)

Hmm, actually that'd be an FG LXXIX I think.  :banghead:

(A Mark 79 to those of you not versed in Roman numerals  ;))
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

One of the first schools I was put in, taught Latin. I could never figure out why ---- like I was ever going to use it right ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 12, 2020, 09:36:47 AM

One of the first schools I was put in, taught Latin. I could never figure out why ---- like I was ever going to use it right ----

My secondary school tried to teach me it too, but I put up a school record with the lowest ever marks in the Mock 'O' Level exams.

Major Parker :- 'Spackman, Latin into English - 1. English into Latin - 0. Average, one half.......' Which was greeted by loud cheers from all my schoolmates as they were percentage marks...........  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 12, 2020, 10:48:32 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 12, 2020, 09:36:47 AM

My secondary school tried to teach me it too, but I put up a school record with the lowest ever marks in the Mock 'O' Level exams.

Major Parker :- 'Spackman, Latin into English - 1. English into Latin - 0. Average, one half.......' Which was greeted by loud cheers from all my schoolmates as they were percentage marks...........  ;D

Much to my surprise (and that of the classics masters) I ended up with decent O level grades in both Latin and Classical Greek. I think it helped me when applying for university history places, but I doubt that either have been much practical use since. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I might add that I did gain a Distinction in 'A' Level Chemistry.  ;D

And I HATED chemistry......

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 11, 2020, 11:19:03 AM

AH-1.1.0  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on November 12, 2020, 11:38:04 AM

Much to my surprise (and that of the classics masters) I ended up with decent O level grades in both Latin and Classical Greek. I think it helped me when applying for university history places, but I doubt that either have been much practical use since.

Yup in the late 60's/early 70's if you wanted to study history at a decent Uni then you tended to need Latin in order to help with your study of original texts. Strange that, I never realised Napoleon's correspondence was in Latin rather than in French  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Problem is, there's classical Latin as spoke by J Caesar and his mates; later Latin, a debased form as used by the Byzantine empire when it wasn't talking Greek; Church Latin as used in the middle ages and even Music Latin, which Madame R and Rheged minor use in plainsong in their respective choirs.   

Until about 1800 or so, Latin and French were the common languages of the intelligentsia, English only really took off as  universal in Victoria's reign..............and even now, the French refer to courses in French as a foreign language as "Un cours de civilization"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on November 13, 2020, 06:37:37 AM
Problem is, there's classical Latin as spoke by J Caesar and his mates; later Latin, a debased form as used by the Byzantine empire when it wasn't talking Greek; Church Latin as used in the middle ages and even Music Latin, which Madame R and Rheged minor use in plainsong in their respective choirs.   

Yup, although I wasn't aware of that until at least my mid 30's. I'd always assumed it was a dead language up until that point. It was only when I was reading a book on the Fall of Byzantium just after a book on J Caesar esq. and noticed that the language in the footnotes was different (in both some of the source quotes were presented in the original Latin and then translated). Further enquiries led to increased knowledge  ;) :thumbsup:

Weaver

Just found an announcement on Twitter ("X" :rolleyes: ) about this:

Westland Aircraft & Rotorcraft - Secret Projects & Cutting Edge Technology
- by Jeremy Graham and Ron Smith (authors of the paper that started this thread)
Published by Tempest Books, available: 20th April 2024.
Link: https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15817/westland-aircraft-rotorcraft-secret-projects-cutting-edge-technology
 :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones