DONE - Blackburn Skua

Started by Leading Observer, November 10, 2020, 07:08:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

This will be from the very ancient Frog kit:

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Built one of those recently. Ancient kit, and it shows, but it goes together fairly easily. There are accuracy issues, like the wing chord, but that can only be fixed with a lot of work. Once it's finished it's recognisable as a Skua, and that's all that matters to me.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

It'd be interesting to cross kit one with a new Airfix Defiant to make anice Roc.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

Quote from: The Rat on November 10, 2020, 08:56:45 AM
Built one of those recently. Ancient kit, and it shows, but it goes together fairly easily. There are accuracy issues, like the wing chord, but that can only be fixed with a lot of work. Once it's finished it's recognisable as a Skua, and that's all that matters to me.

I thought the same - it'll obviously be a Skua, but wearing a new suit ;)
LO

jcf

Quote from: Leading Observer on November 10, 2020, 10:17:23 AM
Quote from: The Rat on November 10, 2020, 08:56:45 AM

I thought the same - it'll obviously be a Skua, but wearing a new suit ;)

Italian? The Skua would look at home in Italian markings. ;D  :wacko:

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 10, 2020, 08:07:30 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on November 10, 2020, 07:08:52 AM

This will be from the very ancient Frog kit:

Are there any others?

Yup:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh72140-blackburn-skua-mkii--102577

And a Roc:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh72141-blackburn-roc-mki--102578

The FROG/NOVO/Revell/Eastern Express/Uncle Tom Cobbley/And All Skua is truly ancient and seriously lacking in accuracy and detail, but.....it has tons of cheap and cheerful whif potential.  Go for it!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

That's the kit I build a very long time ago as a kid. At least that's what I remember. No idea what happened to it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Pavla (Octopus) also released a kit which believe me you want to avoid if at all possible.

One of the very few kits I've actually given up on and the main parts are destined for a trip up North once we are allowed to travel again  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

One Aircraft I really have a soft spot for.

Be great to see it in some interesting livery

Leading Observer

LO

Leading Observer

Progress update - a bit of extra detail added to the cockpit [control column, bulkhead and fuel tanks], and an exhaust stub to the engine cowling. Assembly can now commence.

LO

NARSES2

Venerable kit it may be but it goes together better than the Pavla one  :-\ Only kit I've ever given up on and cast to the winds.

Looking forward to this, got a soft spot for the Skua. Comes from reading Hornet & Victor etc as a kid.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Leading Observer

Blackburn Skua Backstory
During the Norway Campaign of 1940, the Fleet Air Arm quickly learned that the Blackburn Skua, despite its initial success in sinking the German cruiser Königsberg in Bergen harbour during Operation Weserübung, the German invasion of Norway, was very much inferior to the modern Luftwaffe fighters it was now facing, evidenced during an attempt to bomb the German battleship Scharnhorst at Trondheim on 13 June 1940; of 15 [mostly Skuas] aircraft in the raid, eight were shot down and the crews killed or taken prisoner.
Of the eight shot down, two Skuas made forced lading and were recovered virtually intact by German forces, along with the remains of at least one other, and these were shipped to Germany for repair and evaluation.
After an initial evaluation by the Luftwaffe, who were dismissive of the aircraft, the Kriegsmarine requested permission to evaluate the aircraft themselves as part of their development of aircraft handling techniques for the Graf Zeppelin Aircraft Carrier, which was nearing completion.
Surprisingly this request was granted, and two airworthy Skuas and parts from the other incomplete example were handed over to a newly formed Navy Unit, known as Entwicklungsgeschwader fur Flugzeugtechniken der Kriegsmarine [Naval Aircraft Technique Development Squadron]. A number of Luftwaffe pilots who had already been selected for roles in the Graf Zeppelin air wing as part of Erpbungsstaffel 167 based in The Netherlands, where they had been working up the Fieseler Fi-167, were seconded to the new Naval Unit, to gain experience in flying foreign aircraft specifically developed for use on Aircraft Carriers. With usual Germanic bureaucracy the new unit was allocated the unused squadron codes of EBS167 and so the aircraft wore TJ+??
The Unit was based at Nordholz, historically a Naval Air Station during WW1, and a section of the main runway was modified to represent the proposed deck layout of the Graf Zeppelin, complete with 4 arrester cables so that air and deck crews could learn the necessary basics of cable arrested deck landings. The two airworthy Skuas were soon being put to good use training future Carrier Squadron aircrew. One aircraft was written off in a landing accident, and the other retired and scrapped once the navalised version of the Stuka became available.

LO