Started by NARSES2, November 13, 2020, 06:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2020, 02:54:11 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 15, 2020, 06:38:34 AM
...where's the "fingers crossed" icon ?

Here you go.  Albeit tiny.

🤞🏼

Ok, how did you do that? I can't find it anywhere on this site.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Now need to see if this nice interior actually fits into the fuselage without a struggle, where's the "fingers crossed" icon ?

Well it fits fine  :thumbsup:, but I'll be darned if I'm fitting the suggested 2x3.mm piece of acetate foil to represent the reflector glass on the gun sight  :o

Anyway after a couple of self inflicted problems, explained elsewhere, I now have an airframe which will require a little p.s.r. some of which could have been avoided if only.......................... :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 16, 2020, 04:10:42 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 16, 2020, 02:54:11 AM
...where's the "fingers crossed" icon ?

Here you go.  Albeit tiny.

🤞🏼

Ok, how did you do that? I can't find it anywhere on this site.

I use Apple's Safari web browser.  In the edit menu is "emoji & symbols".  Fingers crossed is one of the many many options.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Ah right, thanks for that. Safari is one of the browsers I've not tried (...yet)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Some progress, but came across a small problem with the kit. The 406 had a retractable radiator, as many aircraft of the period did, and Azure have moulded the bath in the retracted position. Unfortunately they've moulded the two radiator faces in the extended position ? Now you can trim about 2/3rds off each face but there's an easier solution on the sprues. A couple of the "marked not for use pieces" are the fixed radiator and faces for the Ms 410 and they fit the retracted bath almost perfectly.  :thumbsup: Different detail on the faces, but you can't see it anyway once they are installed.

As far as the models projected colour scheme goes I've been having some thoughts and have actually found a reference in my library which not only has some details on schemes worn by both sides, but a couple of profiles as well.

Now the war ran from October 1940 until May 1941 and my reference says that Vichy aircraft in Indo-China didn't start wearing Vichy stripes until late spring/early summer 1941. So that means I can avoid doing those fiddly stripes or at least showing them as being painted over.

As far as the Thai markings are concerned then most aircraft serving in the war were still using the roundels for their national marking, although for some reason the bars were being used by the Hawk 75N's they had (the SH kit has them in roundels though  :unsure: ) Now the reference doesn't go beyond the war and my model will represent a captured aircraft being flown in either a "Victory" parade or at a latter national celebration. So we shall see ; roundels or elephants ? Depends on what I finally settle on for the scenario. Or whichever I think looks better.

Anyway the elephants could get used on the 75N or something suitably Japanese which was passed on. So nothing lost and information gained.

The reference by the way is the Airfile " Pearl Harbour to Coral Sea. The First Six Months of The Pacific War" by Neil Robinson and illustrated by Peter Scott.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Adding elephants to the MS 406 would still be possible, since the French Vichy aircraft in the Indochina region came under Japanese control. Having no use for French types in their own ranks, these could have been passed on to Thailand? Opens some fancy livery options when the French markings were painted over by 1944, e.g.:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 18, 2020, 06:53:12 AM
Adding elephants to the MS 406 would still be possible, since the French Vichy aircraft in the Indochina region came under Japanese control. Having no use for French types in their own ranks, these could have been passed on to Thailand?

Very much so Dizzy, and they will get used on something.

Currently the plan is to have it in "standard" French camouflage of the period, if there was such a thing ? Colours yes, and even then there were different shades, but how it was applied tended to be up to whoever was doing it. The kit includes an option for an aircraft based in Indo-China in late 1940. The national markings will have been painted over, probably with white. As they are at the extreme tip of the wings this will look as though the aircraft simply has white wingtips and a white fuselage band where the roundels were. Not sure what the rudder stripes will be overpainted in yet. So the elephants will probably look good superimposed on the white bands. So perhaps late 41/early 42 Victory parade ? Maybe an overpainted white tail ?

Can you tell my brain is running ?  ;D

Dizzyfugu

Yup, lots of options. Even more so because every French aircraft in the three upper standard colors was different - intentionally, to confuse enemies when assessing flight lines.

NARSES2

Got back to this today  :thumbsup:

Hopefully get some paint on it during the coming week, but I've a fair few things in the diary, so we shall see. But progress has been made  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

Dizzyfugu

I support that idea. Curiosu to see what becomes of it, and I feel inclined to tackle a similar build because it is such a good story/markings combo!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 06, 2020, 11:47:43 PM
Curiosu to see what becomes of it, and I feel inclined to tackle a similar build because it is such a good story/markings combo!  :thumbsup:

Love to see your take on the idea Dizzy  :thumbsup:

I'm probably going to go down the path of it being in service immediately after the Franco-Thai conflict, maybe being flown in a "Victory" parade ?

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. I found a Hobby Boss MS.406 in the stash, AND I have some Thai elephant markings from a Ki-43, too. The opportunity is just too good... Mine will be closer to the original French Vichy scheme, just with Japanized roundels and some markings painted over. But the concept is so weird, this one HAS to be done - twice is better than just one.  ;)

NARSES2

NARSES2

Got some primer on this today and I've realised it's going to take longer than I thought to get it finished. Mainly due to a ham fisted attempt to sort out the area behind the cockpit. What the heck was I thinking of ?  :-\ Still, onwards and upwards.  :mellow: