Hawker P.1121 "Hurricane", 603 Sqn RAuxAF

Started by gengriz, November 14, 2020, 04:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gengriz

It must be years since I have posted here, but my interest in Whifs remains and since lockdown has provided a little extra modelling time a few parked projects from the lower galleries of the stash have bubbled to the top. 

This is my latest "lockdown" build, and its a whiffer !  It's the vacform Maintrack Project X P.1121, which is still available from Whirlykits, albeit with some resin replacements for some of the trickier assemblies.  Instead of the original kit's own 54Sqn markings (strange stick on and float off decals), I have used a mix from the spares box to represent a 603 Sqn aircraft from the Royal Auxiliary Air Force in the late 1960s, providing air defence from RAF Turnhouse (Edinburgh Airport).  In a roundabout way, this is my 2020 Battle Of Britain 80th anniversary tribute build, since 603 were the highest scoring fighter squadron in the battle.

More build details on my own website in due course !

FredT :)

PR19_Kit

Oh yes!  I've always loved the look of the P.1121, and yours is a ZINGER!  :thumbsup:

I've still got one of the original Maintrack 1121 kits in The Loft, and I could be enlivened into hauling it out again now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

It's a while since you were last with us, but what a magnificent way to re-enter Whiffworld.   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Vlamgat

kitnut617

Very nice build   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've got one of those updated kits too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Doug K

Really good, and I should have known of 603's battle record.
You learn something new every day.

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Gondor

That looks really nice and better than the one I built a few years ago.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

stevehed

I like this. Not my period so I've had to look it up but ahead of its time would seem appropriate.