StingBat LHX

Started by Skyfire77, November 14, 2020, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyfire77

In the early 1980s, the US Army began a program to replace the UH-1, AH-1 and OH-58 helicopters in the scout/reconnaissance role. Known as the LHX (later LX) program, the Army requested proposals for a stealthy copter that could designate targets for the new AH-64 Apache, as well as attacking targets on its own. Boeing & Sikorsky teamed up for one proposal, while Bell Helicopters and McDonnell Douglas put up another design. Boeing/Sikorsky eventually won, though the RAH-66 was later canceled.

Jointly released by Testors and Italeri in 1989, the 'StingBat LHX' is loosely based on the Bell/McDonnell Douglas design, featuring weapons stowage in sponsons and a NOTAR system. The retractable skids and curved, three-bladed rotor is unique to the model though, as is the retractable three barreled gun.

This is the second LHX I've built, having gotten one in 1990 or 1991. Pretty sure I did the olive drab Army chopper, so this time around I wanted to do something different. I picked up a sheet of markings for USMC AH-1Z Cobras, and painted the LHX in the appropriate shades of gray. Marine Cobras appear rather dirty, so I weathered the frame with dark gray around the panel lines and black around the exhausts. One weapons loading door is posed open, while the launch door is open on the other. The gun door is also open, and the turret extended.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That's one VERY strange helicopter, so it should fit right in here.  ;D :thumbsup:

Welcome to the madhouse, you've obviously got all the correct credentials.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 15, 2020, 06:21:21 AM
That's one VERY strange helicopter, so it should fit right in here.  ;D :thumbsup:

Welcome to the madhouse, you've obviously got all the correct credentials.  ;D

You definitely belong here, welcome aboard.

Madhouse??  I thought that Whiffworld was the last bastion of sanity  in  the seething insanity of reality.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

McColm

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 15, 2020, 08:52:13 AM

Madhouse??  I thought that Whiffworld was the last bastion of sanity  in  the seething insanity of reality.

It depends on your point of view.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Nice!  :thumbsup: I have one of those in the stash and all i can say is, it will be modified... :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

KiwiZac

Lovely job! I've a Stingbat well underway, hoping to get it closer to some of the SuperTeam LHX concept art.
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Tophe

Belated congratulations! :thumbsup: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Devilfish

I've just picked one of these up off Ebay in 1/48. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet though...