Blackburn Beverley

Started by Aircav, January 26, 2005, 10:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

It's an excellent site. :thumbsup:

Might be worth you submitting your story about your accidental trip to Gibraltar???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on August 24, 2015, 04:02:15 AM
It's an excellent site. :thumbsup:

Might be worth you submitting your story about your accidental trip to Gibraltar???

Hehehe, they may search out the Captain on that flight and cashier him, even after all this time!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hman

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 18, 2013, 09:22:34 PM
I could tell numerous tales about Beverleys.....  ;D

When 47 Sqdn first took them on at RAF Abingdeon when I lived there they had a number of engineers injured and at least one killed because they walked aft inside the boom and fell through the open parra-drop hatch. It's a LONG way to the ground from there, and as a result they fitted safety guards that were just aft of the plexiglass barriers in Mossie's photos.

The boom only needed to be wide enough to carry two columns of paras, wheres the main hold could take a Landie and a pretty hefty sized gun as well.

There actually was a 'civvie' Beverely as the prototype was bailed back to Blackburn with a civvie reggie and was used in the Middle East to carry some oil drilling equipment as it was the only aircraft at the time that was large enough.

I've got more than a few hours flying in Beverley's, probably one reason why I have a hearing aid in one ear, including going all the way to Gibralter and back, by mistake....  :-\

Yes you can't just tell half the storey... What happened? :o
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Captain Canada

Ya the rest of the story ! lol

Great link to that sight as well. Another aeroplane I'm wanting to build. Love that big ol' girl !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Guys, see Page 2, Reply #19.  Quite a story! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

Flight archive article on the proposed Car Ferry version of the Blackburn Universal (civvy version of the Beverley):
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%201892.html

There's a similar but more detailed GA in From Spitfire to Eurofighter, so if anyone wants to take them up on the challenge in the caption I've got the answers!

I'm thinking of realising this, if I ever get hold of the Micro-Mir Beverley.

PR19_Kit

They had removable 'mezzanine floors' for the main hold of the RAF Beverleys but I only ever saw them stripping then down, I don't think they used them in service. They were intended for double-decking paratroops in the main hold IIRC, as well as the ones in the boom.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Thanks for the reminder about the story ! Great stuff....and oh how exciting !

:cheers: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Flight article on the Blackburn B.107 'Super Beverley':
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1958/1958-1-%20-%200303.html?search=blackburn%20beverley

As promised, photos of the proposed Blackburn B.107 'Super Beverley' model exhibited at Fort Paull:

Captain Canada

That is one cool model ! And thanks for the link. I think I may have seen it before but it sure looks good ! The top concept drawing anyway.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

I'm pretty sure I've seen that on here before as well, but I haven't been able to find it.  There's another variant too, without the forward doors, originally posted by James:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35521.msg572265/highlight,super%20beverley.html#msg572265

This version was a competitor to the Shorts Belfast.  More pics of both types on Secret Projects too:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20958.msg206308.html#msg206308

Mossie

Quote from: Mossie on September 10, 2015, 06:01:08 AM
Flight archive article on the proposed Car Ferry version of the Blackburn Universal (civvy version of the Beverley):
https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1952/1952%20-%201892.html

There's a similar but more detailed GA in From Spitfire to Eurofighter, so if anyone wants to take them up on the challenge in the caption I've got the answers!

I'm thinking of realising this, if I ever get hold of the Micro-Mir Beverley.

More pics found around the web of the Universal, mostly the car ferry version:

Eagle Cutaway: :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I'm not too sure about the 'World's Largest Freighter' title, big Bev fan though I am.

I'd have thought the Convair XC-99 or Lockheed Constitution would have merited that title at the time, or even the Globemaster?

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Great pics Mossie thanks for sharing those ! Love the motorcycles tucked in alongside....the riders are probably causing trouble upstairs as we speak

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

I've just received the Micro-Mir Beverley. Four decal options, 30 Sqn, 47 Sqn and 84 Sqn and XB259 as she appeared for the RAE.  It should be possible to model most of her guises from the decals in the box.  The only thing missing is the blue transport Command stripe for the 47 Sqn aircraft.

Sprue shots and decals here:
http://hobbyterra.com/product/british-heavy-transport-aircraft-blackburn-beverley-micro-mir-144-008.html

I've offered the Tynes from the Airfix Vanguard up to it and they'll work, if you want to do it exactly as the drawing on the last page you'll need to make an extra plug using the Tyne cross-section as a template.

Chuffed to bits! :wub:

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 11, 2015, 11:01:00 AM

Great pics Mossie thanks for sharing those ! Love the motorcycles tucked in alongside....the riders are probably causing trouble upstairs as we speak

My Dad might have been one of them, given a chance!  ;D  He was part of a Rockers gang in the sixties, one of them might be his BSA or Royal Enfield. :thumbsup: