1973 Douglas DC-8 AWACS concepts

Started by McColm, November 15, 2020, 02:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

With the recent news that Mach2 are going to release their version of the Douglas DC-8 30 and 50 series,  I had the idea to build the AWACS concept. Further research led me to the Secret Projects website where there's artwork and photographs of the concept models proposed by Douglas.
I'm not too sure about the size of the rotodome as it looks to me as if it came from the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye with its own scratch built stand. Some artwork depicts the rotodome placed on top of the vertical tail fin at an angle similar to the prototype of the Boeing E-3 Sentry.
Although the E-3 rotodome from the Airfix or Heller kit may be a better option with the E-3D turbofans from the Combat Model range or the RC-135V/W River Joint conversion set to build something similar to the Chilean Condor AEW with the nose from the EC-135N 'Snoopy '.
Of course all these options can be built separately.
A FASS layout using the MasterCaster BAe Nimrod AEW.3 might be another option worth considering or the Wedgetail.
I shall look forward to reading the reviews of this kit before I tackle this project.