DONE +++ Nakajima J9N1 "Kikka"; ATAIU SEA, Singapore, Jan. 1946

Started by Dizzyfugu, November 15, 2020, 11:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2020, 09:43:51 AM
Was there a 'code' for the fin markings, viz. B1-01 etc?

And were there other ATAIUs elsewhere as well?

I delved for the purposes of my 'background' Ki-61 - take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Technical_Air_Intelligence_Unit&oldid=918695585 and then check out the 'See also' and other links.  Especially http://www.risingdecals.com/DyingSun/DyingSun_A.htm.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

All very interesting, thanks gentlemen.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering of there were ATAIUs in the Middle East to fit in with my S77 build, but apparently not.

I'll just plough on with it having been re-engined and pressed into service with the RAF in Egypt.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 23, 2020, 11:42:09 AM
All very interesting, thanks gentlemen.  :thumbsup:

I was wondering of there were ATAIUs in the Middle East to fit in with my S77 build, but apparently not.

I'll just plough on with it having been re-engined and pressed into service with the RAF in Egypt.  ;)

IIRC someone on this forum advocates changing the backstory to fit the model, Kit, can't recall who  ;)

Surely the number of captured aircraft operated by Desert Air Force units could justify a whifworld detachment of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Fighting_Development_Unit_RAF operating in that theatre?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sandiego89

Great job Dizzy!

Agree the hand painted marking are very tough to pull off- I had similar problems with my WHIF Horsa for the Japanese homeland invasion- but you really pulled it off! 

-Dave

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

rickshaw

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 23, 2020, 10:18:12 AM
I am not certain about the tail code. I always thought that it was the original Japanese code, just ignored by the new operators, but now with the two types side-by-side in the pics it appears as if the BI-XX code is actually an ATAIU item code? No idea what the "BI" means, though. I know that german aircraft carried "FE-XXX" codes, for "Foreign Equipment", so I adapted it for the Kikka.

BI  -  British Intelligence ?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: rickshaw on November 23, 2020, 03:50:10 PM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 23, 2020, 10:18:12 AM
I am not certain about the tail code. I always thought that it was the original Japanese code, just ignored by the new operators, but now with the two types side-by-side in the pics it appears as if the BI-XX code is actually an ATAIU item code? No idea what the "BI" means, though. I know that german aircraft carried "FE-XXX" codes, for "Foreign Equipment", so I adapted it for the Kikka.

BI  -  British Intelligence ?

That would have been my first guess, too.

Tophe

According to this (top secret) source, the RAF also tested the Twin-Kikka: <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Thanks! ;D
The picture copy joke deserves not much, all the merit is deserved by your source model. :thumbsup:

Tophe

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

BI- was originally the code for the aircraft carrier Soryu, some of the shipboard
unit designators were later reused by land-based units.

In this case they're probably a reference to the captors.

jcf

After doing some digging around it appears that single-engine types and smaller twins
received a 'B' code: B1 fighters; B2 trainers. Larger transports and bombers coded F1.
At least that seems to be the current consensus based on available information.

Some known codes:
Type Tail code   
J2M   B1-01   
J2M   B1-02   
A6M  B1-05
A6M  B1-06
A6M  B1-12
A6M  B1-21
A5M  B1-32
K9W  B2-20
K9W  B2-21
A6M  B2-51
G4M  F1-11
L2D  F1-23
L2D  F1-27

Following this format, a Kikka would most likely have had a B1 code.

jcf