1914 Lee-Richards Annular Monoplane - done!

Started by frank2056, November 16, 2020, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

I just love the workmanship & pride that went into things like that back then :thumbsup: & wish it still did. :(
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

frank2056

Thanks for the coments!

The existing, non-flying replica did appear in "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" according to the Wikipedia page for the Lee-Richards. (I loved that movie when I saw it as a kid! - Amazon US has the DVD):

The C-1 camera is a work of art - the woodwork is amazing.

Looking at the rigging, I think I'll have to attach the cameras first, or I won't have good access to the sides of the observer's position. YAY! I get to put off rigging today...

Tophe

My drawing of LR-51 (then LR-82) did not respect the scale, morphing to match. Now I consider building a "true" plastic LR-51, and I would like to change the drawing for both sources to be 1/72nd. But I have not found the size of the LR-1914. Is the length of the wing (rear to front): 3.5 inches? (9,8cm)?
Thanks in advance if you can measure and confirm. <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

I've been fascinated with this aircraft since I saw a model of this in the science museum in London, must have been more than 30 years ago.
I just bought the 1/48 version of the kit and it is on its way.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

frank2056

Tophe, the wing is about 90mm in dia. (width and front to back) in 1/72:

The rigging is nylon thread painted aluminum. It's a single thread, tensioned as it went through the holes with superglue. A couple of the passes are a bit loose.

Tom - the 1/48 kit should be easier to rig; the 1/72 had no holes in the fuselage for the rigging and I screwed up the placement of the elevator holes (the cable should be parallel to the elevator.) I found this site (after doing the rigging, of course) with better images of the rigging and general layout:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft32576.htm

I should have the decals completed and on the plane by today.

PR19_Kit

Gordon Bennet! There's a few wires on that model!  :o :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Wonderful model, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Quote from: frank2056 on November 28, 2020, 01:46:12 PM
Tophe, the wing is about 90mm in dia. (width and front to back) in 1/72:
Thanks a lot! I will correct my drawings, and maybe build in 2021 this LR-51D I am dreaming of... ;D

Tophe

Yes, I needed to decrease a little the wing size, thanks again! <_<

frank2056

There are more rigging lines under the plane, and I missed/ignored a few...

Tophe - the 1/72 looks a little better - more compact.

Here's the finished plane. I noticed some paint splatters - they're "oil stains"...

Top view, with a Preiser 1/72 figure for scale:

Not much in the way of decals - a Union Jack (right side up...) and N 20, which is "November 2020" the month/year when this model was built.

Front side, with figure for scale. The base is a cheap groundwork set for trains, IIRC.

Thanks for looking! Overall, not a bad kit.

VickersVandal

Biggles modelling loony.

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae

Tophe

Great! :thumbsup: :wub:
Uh, if this shape had been used everywhere (1915-2020), this would be just normal (or even boring) but, as this was unique, and a failure for mass production, this is a weird and marvellous memory... ;)

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: frank2056 on November 16, 2020, 11:23:29 AM
This is the Avis 1/72 Lee-Richards Annular Monoplane
Twenty minutes ago, I ordered one copy of this kit, thanks! (and a P-51 Heller to match into LR-51 and Plasto putty to make that work) <_<
(If I were the Avis company, I would give you, frank2056, 50% of the income, for efficient advertisement! ;D )

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson