McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Just tape a sheet of sandpaper to the table top and drag the model around on it until the wheels are as flat as you want it. Only if the gear is sturdy.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

I will say bugger that with that many wheels..so ill stick to planes with much fewer wheels.
Still tho its going to look brilliant when its all said and done so its worth the effort.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 10, 2022, 02:20:26 PM

Make the location points not just a recess but a tube and extend the top of the undercarriage leg then slide that into the tube and glue at the desired length. Obviously you need to make sure everything is sitting streight and level befor the glue is applied, but it is an answer, just not necessarily the easiest or right answer.   :rolleyes:

Not easy, or even possible with a 1/144 scale airliner type model as the wings are thin and there's nowhere to glue such a tube in place. But that's pretty much exactly what I've done with the centre main gear leg on the KMD-11.

Quote from: kerick on June 10, 2022, 02:54:36 PM

Just tape a sheet of sandpaper to the table top and drag the model around on it until the wheels are as flat as you want it. Only if the gear is sturdy.

Not with a 1/144 scale airliner type model, all of the gear legs will snap off. :(

Don't ask me how I know this.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2022, 01:54:24 AM

Quote from: kerick on June 10, 2022, 02:54:36 PM

Not with a 1/144 scale airliner type model, all of the gear legs will snap off. :(

Don't ask me how I know this.......

A tried and tested method....... that failed I take it?

My previous comment did not specify which undercarriage leg to use the method on.  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on June 11, 2022, 02:39:05 AM

A tried and tested method....... that failed I take it?

Spectacularly, the Tri-Star's wheels are still lost somewhere in my chaotic house! :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hmm, so much for that plan.... :(

The crazy 'peg axle' main gear arrangement on the KMD-11 isn't really strong enough, just like the Revell 1/72 A400M. The manufacturers don't take into account the weight (including nose weight) of their model and try to make the axles scale thickness. Sadly they're made of styrene and not titanium...

While trying to file flats on the bottom of the KMD-11's main gear, three of the axles broke and the wheels came off, and I'm not 100% sure about the fourth one either. :(

Looks like a lengthy gel superglue session is in order.....

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

It's got wheels!  ;D

Lots of doors and struts and aerials to add yet, and it may be a good idea to glue the other two engines on as well............  ;)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2022, 11:01:48 AM
and it may be a good idea to glue the other two engines on as well............  ;)
A single-engine MD-11 would be more funny, more whif... ;)
remember:
= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/md001-.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

It would, yes, but with only one engine it couldn't take-off with all that fuel aboard. :(

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2022, 12:54:22 PM
It would, yes, but with only one engine it couldn't take-off with all that fuel aboard. :(
Or it would just end up going around in circles on the run way  ;D
Its getting there Kit..persistence is paying off here mate  <_<
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on June 11, 2022, 02:02:45 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2022, 12:54:22 PM
Or it would just end up going around in circles on the run way  ;D
Yes, "realistically", but what-if jet performance in miles range per gallon of kerosene was improved by a 100,000% factor? ;)
But of course, feel free to do as you prefer to be satisfied. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

ALL of its wheels are on now, and they ALL touch the ground at the same time. RESULT!  ;D

Now to add a few struts and the wheel doors and it's done.

Regards
Kit

Tophe

PR19_Kit

No sooner had I written the last post here, than I put the model down and the nosewheel leg broke off.  :banghead:

I just knew it was bound to do that, it's FAR too thin and weedy looking to do the job, no matter how 'scale' it is. So I'm presently gluing a replacement wire leg in place, and hopefully that will sort it.

Regards
Kit

Tophe