McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXII

Wrt the wheels with a flat ground shape, you can just file each wheel seperately and when they are all done, only then attach them to the struts using photo glue. That glue will stay flexible, while it still holds the wheels in place. In that way you could place the model on a flat surface, adjust the position of the wheels and then wait until the photo glue has settled.

PR19_Kit

I've never found that works well, the glue is never strong enough for airliner size models unless the way the wheels attach to the main gear legs is very strong, and with this MD-11 it certainly isn't!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The KMD-11's almost done now, I'm just doing the final paint trimming, and then I MUST remember to glue the #1 and #3 engines on!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Cant wait to see the final result Kit..i think its gonna be pretty cool mate  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

It'll be done tonight, the last decals are about to go on.  ;D

And I DID remember the other two engines...........

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 16, 2022, 12:09:39 PM
And I DID remember the other two engines...........
:-\ :unsure: Alas... but you are forgiven... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

:lol: :lol: yeah ya dont want to forget those matey  ;D
It would look like a giant 737 other wise  :o
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

It would only have ONE engine, the one in the middle!  :o

The take-off run would be measured in counties........... :(

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

And that's that, the KMD-11 is done and dusted and ready to fuel its little Swedish mates out there over the North Atlantic.  ;D

The mandatory 3/4 front view, showing all THREE engines!

And the equally mandatory 3/4 rear view, showing all sorts of other stuff....

And of course the underside view, which shows the raison d'etre of the aeroplane, its FOUR refuelling points, more than any other tanker. It's got a KC-10 boom, scratchbuilt as I gave away the one I already had,  :banghead:  the off centre high flow hose reel, bought from the RAF when they retired their VC10 tankers, and the two lower flow wing hose reels from the same source.

The little black bump on the centre line forward of the boom is the TV camera so the boom and hose operator can see his customers.

The details of the aft end, and you'll note the KMD-11 carries its unit and a/c no. on the boom wings, just as the USAF tankers do on theirs.

Wing details showing the wing hose reel pod, the complex winglets, and the mini-IAC fin flashes on the winglets. I just HAD to do that as all the airlines have their icons on the winglets of airliner MD-11s too.  ;D

More of the aft end, from above this time, showing the massive #2 engine, the boom and the high flow hose reel fairing. Those of you who know your MD airliners may notice that the tailplane is larger than the standard MD-11 surface. That's because it is, as the KMD-11s reverted to the larger, DC-10, tail surfaces because of the increased control authority they needed as their payload changed radically during each flight.

(Kit's 2nd Law of Whiffing applies.... ;))

And lastly, my own little whimsy. It seemed to me that such a large aircraft in such a small Air Force would probably have a name, and what better than one steeped in the Irish nation's history, so the KMD-11 is named 'The Big Fellow'.....

Those of you who do know Irish history will know immediately who it's referring to, but to the others, have a look on Wikipedia.  ;D

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

That is lovely!!   Will it be refueling a Gripen soon?

An MD-11 will do great on two engines.  One might be a struggle. Though I can say with great authority that both an Embraer E-190 and Airbus A320 can manage a takeoff with one shut down with about 10,000 feet of runway.  The 190 would actually do it in about 7,000 if light.  😆
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on June 16, 2022, 03:21:26 PM

That is lovely!!   Will it be refueling a Gripen soon?

By Saturday evening with luck, and on show at Coventry the next day.  ;D

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Makes me wonder what the Irish translation of "Gripen" would be.  Would the IAC (or IAF if plans come to fruition) be intercepting Bears in after tanking?  My guess is the "Saab Feckin' Funny Lookin' Cat"
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

sandiego89

Turned out great Kit! Nicely done.

So you ONLY have three projects going during the one-week GB?!!  ;)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on June 15, 2022, 02:57:31 PM
Quote from: Tophe on June 15, 2022, 02:51:04 PM
Congratulations! :bow:
Poor Kit... :-\
The problems preventing the finish are now forgotten, and I can say: Congratulations! Now, yes, fully! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]