McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Instead of adding the starboard wing, just put on the starboard engine, sticking out horizontally.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

You guys are TOTALLY out to lunch.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sadly for you the other wing is already glued on, but the gap on that side is even worse than the port side!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

What if PR19_Kit was completely crazy like us?: ;D

PR19_Kit

LOVE the idea, but I've only got one MD-11 kit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

They've used the same silly 'pegs in holes' method to locate the engines on the wings as they used for the tailplanes on the MD-11.

It's all very well, but when the peg is a larger diameter than the engine pylon's trailing end's width it's impossible to use it.  :banghead:

So I've cut the rear pegs off again, after carefully gluing them in place. The front one will just have to do......

I've been scratchbuilding the tanker boom over the last few days, working from myriad photos of KC-10 booms I downloaded. It's a very fiddly job, lots of small pieces of styrene all glued together in layers, but it's getting there. Just the control wings and fins to add now.

Should be done by Christmas.  ;)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I can't really remember when or which model it was, but years ago I swiped a tiny drill bit from my dad and used it to insert straight bits of paper clip to strengthen the joints of models.  It was probably one of those kits with butt joints and no locators at all.  It could have been a kit that had its location pins badly placed, or the bits were distorted in some way ...

I'd drill my holes into the larger piece and glue the wires in place.  Once that was dry, I'd mate up the other piece and mark where the holes needed to go, and ... well, you know the rest.

Might this be the solution to you woes?

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

It might, yes but the trailing edge of the engine pylons is VERY thin, and even a paper clip would be too thick.

The front peg is fine and it fits the pylon OK (or it did once I'd drilled out the pylon to match the thickness of the peg.... :banghead:) and that will locate the pylon correctly spanwise.

Then I just have to ensure it's at the correct angle relative to the air stream. Hopefully McD-D made that in line with the fuselage.....

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Quote from: Tophe on December 07, 2020, 04:49:59 AM
What if PR19_Kit was completely crazy like us?: ;D

..and who, Pray, says that he is not ?  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 08, 2020, 07:25:08 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 07, 2020, 03:14:26 PM

Should be done by Christmas.  ;)

2020 ?  :angel: ;)

With luck, yes. Depends how much travelling up and down the A14, M6, M42, M5, A40 and A48 I have to do before then.

And if Max Decals get their stuff here in time too.

Quote from: JayBee on December 08, 2020, 07:36:49 AM

..and who, Pray, says that he is not ?  :wacko:

I should hope no-one, I've been here long enough to prove the point by now I'd have thought.   ;D

Regards
Kit

kerick

Has anyone ever built an aircraft with two fuselages separated by the wing and engines? Real or whiff? Lots of zwilling types but I'm thinking of wings only between the fuselages.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Building such a MD-11? Maybe someone someday... but as a drawing it is available: ;D

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on December 08, 2020, 09:01:01 PM
Building such a MD-11? Maybe someone someday... but as a drawing it is available: ;D

Now, that is inspired.  :)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on December 09, 2020, 01:51:48 AM

Now, that is inspired.  :)

It is indeed, but I'm not sure I want to go through the heartache of building TWO of these Eastern Express MD-11s. :(

The IFR booms nearly done now, and 'mega-fiddly' doesn't even come close!  :o

Regards
Kit