McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

When I started this I was going to get a Revell KC-10 and use the IFR boom from that kit. No go, they're extinct on eBay and anywhere else. So I looked to see if anyone else did one. Yippee, AMP do, seemingly. So I looked up AMP and found they're some sort of offshoot of Eastern Express so I'd be keeping it 'in the family'  ;D

But looking at an AMP kit on eBay I found that it was a) expensive, like £57.00 expensive (!) and b) It wasn't a KC-10, it was a KMD-11 already!

Looking at the pic below you can see the chisel tail, which was only fitted to the MD-11 and not to any variant of the DC-10 or KC-10. So all they've done is added a boom to the MD-11 kit which I've already got. So stuff that for a bowl of cornflakes!

(Looking at reviews of their KC-10 later shows that they must have changed the kit contents as their original versions were based on the correct DC10-30 kit, but now they're based on an MD-11, which is wrong for a KC-10 in SO many ways, not just the tail!  :banghead:)

So I decided to scratchbuild the boom, after all it's only about 3" long and it's sort of rectangular in cross section. What can be difficult, eh?

WRONG!

It's a VERY complex shape, with all sorts of bulges and bumps on it, and my version has TWENTY SEVEN parts! Shades of the Monterey's beaching trolley!

Anyway, it's done now, as far as it's going anyway, apart from the paint.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Congratulations for this uneasy little part :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Got the boom nestled nicely in place under the tail now.

Next stage is filling those blasted gaps (and the subsequent PSR :() in the upper wing roots, and then it's painting time....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Kit you're a modelling hero - prodigious output!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

I just haven't got anything else I'm allowed to do at the moment. Might as well build plastic kits, eh?  ;D

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2020, 03:51:25 AM
I just haven't got anything else I'm allowed to do at the moment. Might as well build plastic kits, eh?  ;D

What a good idea.   I'm trying to write a set of backstories, as I've nothing better to do.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Well done mate, but how the heck does it have 27 parts ?  :o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 10, 2020, 06:14:31 AM

Well done mate, but how the heck does it have 27 parts ?  :o

It's all made from sandwiched 20 and 30 thou styrene, 3 layers for the main boom, 5 layers for the bulged bit at the rear, 5 more layers for the fairing where it's attached to the fuselage, 2 more cheeks for the bulge at the rear (it wasn't quite thick enough...) 2 parts for the 'control wing' mounts, 2 for the wings themselves, 2 for the fins and 2 more for the tiny fairings on the ends of the fins. 1 for the pipe sticking out the back, and one for the control ring on the pipe plus two extra bits to fair the main boom into the hinge area.

LOTS if little parts.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Right, mind boggling.  :o

I suppose in 10 years time (Or now for some of our fraternity) you'd just turn to your home 3D printer ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Given half a chance, yes.

If I'd ever have time to work out how to programme it.....

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 11, 2020, 07:37:20 AM

If I'd ever have time to work out how to programme it.....

And then spend more time getting the image and printer just right so that it would have taken less time to build it the old fashioned way  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

That very well could be the future of our hobby.  We go online and  purchase  a program  to run out  a kit of our  choice  through our computer and  3D printer.  We could  design  new/replacement  wiff parts as a separate  add on program.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

jcf

Quote from: chrisonord on December 12, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
That very well could be the future of our hobby.  We go online and  purchase  a program  to run out  a kit of our  choice  through our computer and  3D printer.  We could  design  new/replacement  wiff parts as a separate  add on program.
Chris

Not any time soon, and the big manufacturers have no interest in going that
route as it would take a very long time get their development money back.

The big problem is the ongoing serious rate of piracy of model files and the
douche-canoes who demand that the designers put their models up on the
various download sites for free. There is currently no way to guarantee that
someone won't just steal the model files.
:banghead:

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit