McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 12, 2020, 01:49:28 PM
So good ! 27 parts is insane !
Yes, insanity is very welcome among what-if modelers ;) ;D
(I mean: as a source of creativity, we are not dangerous crazy ones) :unsure: ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on December 12, 2020, 09:15:40 PM
Quote from: Captain Canada on December 12, 2020, 01:49:28 PM
So good ! 27 parts is insane !
Yes, insanity is very welcome among what-if modelers ;) ;D
(I mean: as a source of creativity, we are not dangerous crazy ones) :unsure: ;D

Well said, mon brave.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

DEEP JOY!  :thumbsup:

It looks like the PSR on the KMD-11 is finished at long last. That wing-fuselage joint REALLY didn't want to be filled, but it is now. Or as much as it's going to be anyway.

Now I can start on the colours, once I've worked out what they're going top be of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

When making models brings "deep joy", this is the top of our activity, like its reason to be. ;D
I hope we will see pictures in 2020 (2021 would be accepted too of course). <_<

PR19_Kit

You will, the first colour coat is on the KMD-11's wings already, but it'll need at least one more coat.

The panel lines on this big, though 1/144 scale kit, are very fine indeed, and I was going to re-scribe the areas that were subjected to umpteen PSR sessions, but after maybe 5-6 coats of primer and only one colour coat I'm not sure it's worth the bother! By the time I've got the rest of the colour on and at least two coats of Klear I don't think they'll be visible any more. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The first colour coat's on the flying surfaces and the fuselage now. The wings, tail and lower fuselage are done in the airliner modellers standard grey, ie Halfords Ford Polar Grey, which as close to Boeing Grey as you're likely to get, and as most airliner manufacturers seem to use similar shades on their wings and tail these days, it'll do for the KMD-11.

The upper colour on the fuselage is another Halfords grey, good old Grey Primer.  ;D Yes, but I'll put a couple of coats of Klear on it so it looks glossy, but as I just wanted a 'darker grey' it'll do nicely.

Here it is with all the paper towel masking applied. If the wing-fuselage joint had been any good I wouldn't have had to do this as the wings and tail would have been painted and decaled and then the whole thing assembled later, but you can't win 'em all I guess.

Lots more detail painting to do, and then LOTS of decals to add as well. And I guess I better not forget the #1 and #3 engines and the landing gear either......

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 20, 2020, 03:26:15 PM
The first colour coat's on the flying surfaces and the fuselage now.
it'll do nicely.
And I guess I better not forget the #1 and #3 engines
Yes, nice model :thumbsup:
And if you forget #3 engine, it will be asymmetric, very what-if, even better! ;)
And if you forget #1 and #3 engines, it will be the very first single-engine MD-11, as we said at the beginning of this topic :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

And here it is in full colour, if you can count grey as a 'colour'.....  ;D

Now for the decals, the bit I like the best.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That is looking really nice Kit  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Tophe

According to me, it is better than Real, it is a wonderful finished model: 1/24th scale single-engine UAV without pilot nor landing gear (launched from catapult), no?  ;D

JayBee

Quote from: Tophe on December 21, 2020, 05:35:37 AM
According to me, it is better than Real, it is a wonderful finished model: 1/24th scale single-engine UAV without pilot nor landing gear (launched from catapult), no?  ;D

Now that is exactly the way my mind was working !   :thumbsup:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on December 21, 2020, 05:57:49 AM
Quote from: Tophe on December 21, 2020, 05:35:37 AM

Now that is exactly the way my mind was working !   :thumbsup:

Dear, oh dear, there's no hope for you lot.  ;D

It's a TANKER, a BIG tanker, so big it could probably refuel the entire IAC QRA force at the same time!

(Actually, it might be able to do just that, it does have four hoses/booms after all.  ;D)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Grey appears to have quite a blue tinge in the bottom photo Kit. Looks good  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

It ought to be greenish, as it's destined to fly with the IAC, but it'll have a green stipe along the demarcation line, eventually............

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 21, 2020, 06:07:19 AM
Dear, oh dear, there's no hope for you lot.  ;D
It's a TANKER, a BIG tanker, so big it could probably refuel the entire IAC QRA force at the same time!
All right, while... thanks for having made us dream (of a tiny UAV in this family) ;D